Author Topic: Music by Robert Cobert  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Music by Robert Cobert
« on: June 25, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
Fans,

The most obvious DS connection to this 1961 series, 'WAY OUT, hosted by Roald Dahl, is the music by Robert Cobert. This episode, written as a tour de force for legendary actress Constance Ford (who wound up as a regular on another soap), probably has other DS connections if one probed far enough. Teleplay was by Sumner Locke Elliott, and executive producer was David Susskind. The play seems to have been suggested by Jean Cocteau's famous one-act monodrama "The Human Voice," in which Grayson starred in the summer of this year, in a production at Pennsylvania's Hedgerow Theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XX7AABsPU&list=PLQDQPZ3HQdzKaIecvPVGVQVCswLT0Bphy&index=5&t=0s

There was a nod to "The Human Voice" in what used to be known as the "Grayson Solo" episode during the 1967 storyline, when Dave Woodard's ghost was haunting Julia with harassing phonecalls.

All the surviving episodes of 'WAY OUT now seem to be available on you tube.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Music by Robert Cobert
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
For fans who have never seen it, Daryl Schafer does a hilarious send-up of the Grayson Solo telephone meltdown sequence shortly after the 30 minute mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPS3rr_47o

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 05:17:56 AM »
Roald Dahl was quite a character, wasn't he? My favorite episode is Dissolve To Black, which features Kathleen Widdoes who plays an actress who gets a big break as the victim in a TV murder mystery. All goes well, until the night crew shows up and it seems that someone really is going to kill her. It's virtually a showcase for Widdoes, who would later appear in The Group and find longterm employment as Emma Snyder on ATWT.
Between those two jobs, she played Rose Perini on Another World and was next door neighbor to Ada, played by the aforementioned Constance Ford.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
For fans who have never seen it, Daryl Schafer does a hilarious send-up of the Grayson Solo telephone meltdown sequence

That is just too funny! Thanks so much for the link, Gothick.  [ghost_smiley]

Actually, I think I may have been at Seaview while some of what appears on the video was shot. I was there in 1997 with a group of friends. It was in the summer and none of the students were in residence yet, and at one point I was exploring the house with one of those friends and when I looked out the window from one of the third floor rooms I saw Guy Haines and Daryl Schafer out on the lawn with Daryl dressed as Barnabas. Honestly, though, I have no idea what they were shooting because I never saw them again that day...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
I was along on the original shoot back in 1990 (long story that I will save for another time). It was Columbus Day weekend and the students were back in the dorm. By that time, they may have gotten used to DS fans roaming around the grounds. But I do recall them staring out the window trying to figure out exactly what my friend Athena Victory was doing in the platinum blonde wig, leather bustier and miniskirt. The miniskirt was an early casualty in the Julia/Carolyn fight scene. Which also resulted in Julia hitting the ground and, shall I say, not falling like a lady. [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink]
I was in the original footage, a very brief cameo as Adam. Just my voice. [ghost_wub] [ghost_wub] [ghost_wub]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
I was in the original footage, a very brief cameo as Adam. Just my voice. [ghost_wub] [ghost_wub] [ghost_wub]

You were cheated out of not appearing on camera wearing a green turtleneck sweater. Unfortunate. I bet it might have been better than the real thing.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »
In all honesty, MB, it was just as well. The original intent was to go up there to preserve one of the skits that we had done at the convention on video. When we got up to Newport, certain parties decided that they didn't want to do that after all and what we ended up with was basically an extended improv. Certain people got the bulk of the screen time and the rest of us ended up with very little to do.
It may come off as entertaining on screen and I guess some people enjoy it. But the actual experience was not a lot of fun.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 10:35:40 PM »
Well, that's even more unfortunate! But I suppose a Diva will always be a Diva. And there's often no reasoning with a Diva...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
Spot on, MB. And just because someone is a good mimic does not mean that he or she is a good actor.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
I was looking through the IMDB episode guide for 'WAY OUT and a number of DS actors appeared in this series, including Mitchell Ryan, Dana Elcar, and believe it or not, a young Carolyn Groves.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 04:50:53 AM »
There's an episode with Conard Fowkes as well.
Fade Away and Radiate