Author Topic: Re: Another Chance  (Read 810 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Another Chance
« on: April 13, 2002, 10:35:29 PM »
Many of you won't have any idea that this offer was made over a week ago because you haven't been checking the topics posted on the "Testing. 1, 2, 3..." board as often as you might be (hint hint) [wink2]:

Now that we've awarded Luciaphil her choice of a custom title, we've decided to give everyone else another chance to earn one*. This time around we want to see how observant you are:

Over this past weekend while I was installing the forum upgrade, a graphic on the forum was changed for the first time. It's something people see often enough every day to take notice of, but something someone might not have noticed has changed (and no, it's not any of the little icons that were changed as part of the upgrade).

Now, to earn a custom title, not only will someone have to come up with which graphic has changed, but they'll also have to explain how it's different from what was previously on display on the forum. IF you're really observant, the answers to both are available on dsboards - IF you know where to look. [wink2]

You all have until 11:59 pm (PT) on April 11th to come up with your answers, at which point this particular offer will be rescinded. So, good luck!

(* A custom title cannot violate the forum's guidelines or contain any of the forum's censored words. It can't be something that members earn through posting (so no jumping to Full, Senior or God). And it can't be something like Webmaster, Moderator or Administrator because those postions have already been taken. :D)

Unfortunately, no one who was aware of the offer was able to come up with the complete answer, though Patti came very close. She realized that something about the writing in the forum logo displayed at the top of every page has changed, but she couldn't quite explain how it was different. Sorry, Patti. :'( But maybe Midnite and I can think up some other way to reward you because you were just SO close. [thumb]

Now, to earn a custom title, not only will someone have to come up with which graphic has changed, but they'll also have to explain how it's different from what was previously on display on the forum. IF you're really observant, the answers to both are available on dsboards - IF you know where to look. [wink2]

The big hint there was that the answer to how the writing in the logo is different is STILL on the forum IF you knew where to look. And that's because the original version of the logo is still on display in the forum's Help section. [winkb]
The original looked like this:
with a solid title written over an elongated image of Collinwood, while the new version:
has semitransparent writing over (a slightly lighter version of) Collinwood with some of the details of the house and the trees around it showing through. And before you start asking yourselves how Midnite and I could have ever expected anyone to notice such subtle changes in the logo, just remember that Patti had no problem coming up with what image on the forum had changed. So, what you should really be asking yourselves is why didn't you? [wink2]

Anyway, Midnite and I will be putting our heads together again soon to come up with another way for someone to earn a chance at a custom title. Who knows what it could turn out to be? But if I were you, I might think about sharpening my cognitive and perceptive skills now because what we eventually decide on is probably going to be something very similar to the answers someone had to come up with for the first two chances. [winkg]

BTW, Luciaphil, have you stopped "reeling from the shock" that your math skills are obviously much better than you might sometimes give yourself credit for? :)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2002, 11:00:58 PM »
The most immediate observation that comes to mind is that Midnite and MB have been hanging out with Nicholas Blair for perhaps one spell too many.

[shadow=orange,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2002, 11:22:41 PM »
The most immediate observation that comes to mind is that Midnite and MB have been hanging out with Nicholas Blair for perhaps one spell too many.

You know, Mark, that could be. [lghy] Nicholas is one of our favorite characters. [winkb]
But I ask you, who could resist all that smarmy charm wrapped up in such a deliciously evil character? Once one gets past his obvious misogyny, it's hard not to love him. And truthfully, every misogynistic thing he ever did to Cassandra/Angelique she fully deserved, as did Nicholas when it came to every thing she ever threw at him. They were definitely a match made in hell! And so much fun to watch. [lghg]

And besides, Midnite and I never claimed that we were going to make it easy to earn a custom title. If it were, where would the pride be in having earned one? [wink2]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2002, 11:50:07 PM »
BTW, Luciaphil, have you stopped "reeling from the shock" that your math skills are obviously much better than you might sometimes give yourself credit for? :)

Sadly, no.  I put this down to a fluke brought about my desperate need at the time to do anything other than write my paper.  I am mathematically impaired, and can do little more than add . . .  :'(

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2002, 12:20:40 AM »
ahh man that was too arcane to expect anyone to notice.  ..well, at least me. . . :o
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2002, 01:31:35 AM »
Let me get this straight....instead of keeping my mouth politely shut and my opinion to myself, I SHOULD have written and asked why the graphic was altered?   ?!?

Sorry, but I thought the transparent effect  looked like a horrible print-making mistake from a photography 101 class....and NO improvement over the original graphic!!  :P

I would never have connected it with the offer of a "prize" though......I completely forgot one was on offer!  ::)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2002, 08:07:08 AM »
Sorry, but I thought the transparent effect  looked like a horrible print-making mistake from a photography 101 class....and NO improvement over the original graphic!!  :P

Please, don't hold back, tell us what you really thought, Raineypark! [lghy]

You'll no doubt be interested to learn that there are four other versions of the logo that haven't been seen yet. I put two of them together just for the hell of it to try out a feature of my grraphics software that I'd never bothered to use beforehand. But I thought they were pretty atrocious and really had no plans to ever display them. But now I think I'll definitely have to put them up on the forum one of these days just to see if you can figure out which ones they were. [wink2]

Hmmm, am I sensing that as a possible future question to earn a custom title? Could be...  ;D

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2002, 02:24:25 AM »
Hey MB!

Where do we go to get the emoticons like the hint-hint one's you used in yer first post?  Inquiring poster minds wanna know!

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"