Author Topic: "Rebecca" stuff  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
"Rebecca" stuff
« on: November 22, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »
Last night, TCM showed "Rebecca". For some of the newer cousins on here, the 1970PT story arc features some 'Rebecca-esque?' story.

Two things; having always been in love/lust with Laurence Olivier (hubba hubba), I never noticed until last night that Max deWinter was supposed to be about 45ish to Joan Fontaine's 25ish. That aspect on PT was never played out; I believe that would've been interesting and lead to a better feel for Maggie/Quentin. I think DS would have played 45ish very well.

Also, and I can't believe this, but Robert Osborn mentioned last night that we never learn the '2nd Mrs. deWinter's' first name! I never noticed this! If anyone has read the novel, and it is mentioned, would you post it here? (Hey, maybe it was Margaret!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: "Rebecca" stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 03:11:02 PM »
That's just it- she's always refered to as either "the first Mrs. DeWinter" or "Maxim's second wife".  The book is told from her point of view.  When the film was being made, the writers considered calling her "Daphne" after the book's author Daphne duMaurier, but David O. Selznick rejected this, explaining that the second Mrs. deWinter should be nameless to reflect her lack of a persona as opposed to the opressive legend of Rebecca, the impossibly beautiful lady who held sway over all in her orbit.  In the script, she is called "I".

I'm surprised you didn't notice that Olivier had his temples 'touched up' in the movie to show age.  Also, it may have been mentioned in passing, but the second Mrs. deWinter is an American.  This explains why such American actresses like Loretta Young, Anne Baxter (who almost got the role- get the Criterion DVD to see her extensive screen tests),  and Margaret Sullavan tested for the part.  Joan Fontaine had the best of both worlds: born to British parents in Tokyo and raised in L.A. with older sister (and lifelong rival) Olivia deHavilland, so she could play both American and British characters with ease.

[spoiler]One big change had to be made in the movie to satisfy the censors.  In the book, Rebecca goads Maxim into shooting her, and he does- right through her heart.  Under the 1934 Production Code, people weren't allowed to get away with murder, so in the film Rebecca trips and falls, fatally hitting her head on an anchor just as Maxim is about to shoot her.[/spoiler]

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 06:35:17 PM »
A good question would be who do our Board Members feel has more of an Olivier "aura" or presence about him, Louis or David? I always said Louis but my wife says David. (see Chris Pennock's comic books for a fun reference)
Michael   ::)

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:41:27 PM »
A good question would be who do our Board Members feel has more of an Olivier "aura" or presence about him, Louis or David? I always said Louis but my wife says David.

I have to agree with you. The way Louis plays Roger so that he is more or less "obsessed" with Angelique is interesting, much more than how Quentin simply seems to "miss" her.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »
I thought Big Lou's character in PT 1970 was more inspired by the Divine Clifton Webb's character in the 1940s noir thriller Laura.

PT 1970 Roger ties with 1966 Roger for my favorite Big Lou characterization on DS.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:08:36 PM »
I thought Big Lou's character in PT 1970 was more inspired by the Divine Clifton Webb's character in the 1940s noir thriller Laura.

110% Gothick....and it's divine!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »
In PT though, PT Roger reverts for awhile to regular Roger.   It's really strange.   He wears a suit, acts dignified, stuffy... Then sarcastic, weasel Roger returns in time to have his big moment.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:10:52 AM »
I think that David Selby must have been playing older that he was, wasn't he about 28 or 29 at the time? A little young to have a 13 year old son.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 05:35:48 AM »
I think that David Selby must have been playing older that he was, wasn't he about 28 or 29 at the time? A little young to have a 13 year old son.

As if the directors, writers, producers paid any attention to "real" age. . .Barnabas is supposed to be a "young" man, my ass!  Most everyone thinks Grayson is too old to be of interest to Barnabas but she was only a few months older than Frid and had a son the same age as David Hennessey. . .when the show is in 1840 PT. .why is Julia Flora's contemporary when Joan Bennett was 13 years older. . .  I think others could point out other inconsistencies.  .but i'm overly familiar with Grayson's stats as you all know. . .
Julia99

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 07:11:53 AM »
I think others could point out other inconsistencies.

I think that one fairly obvious inconsistently is what happens in a lot of soap operas with children. By 1970, everything that occurred with David and Hallie in Rose Cottage was quite out of character for people their ages, even if [spoiler]they were being possessed by Tad and Carrie.[/spoiler] In 1840, Tad and Carrie were still supposed to be the same ages as David and Hallie, though I don't think they were meant to be that old in 1840.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 11:21:56 AM »
Frid and Hall definitely appear the same age.   Frid and Parker seem far-fetched but the acting and writing smooth out any problems.

I think they did a remarkable job in youthing Barnabas for 1795.  He still can't be Joshua's son, really, but they were actors playing parts.   You don't always play your own age.    Frid did a great job conveying youth, innocence, and vulnerability in 1795 before being bitten.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 01:00:28 AM »
Wow! I've read  Rebecca more then once plus watched the movie many times
and never noticed the second Mrs. DeWinter's first name was not told.
That did surprise me. lol
Julianka

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 04:09:36 AM »
Wow! I've read  Rebecca more then once plus watched the movie many times
and never noticed the second Mrs. DeWinter's first name was not told.
That did surprise me. lol

All that is ever said about Mrs. DeWinters#2's name is Max's comment:

"You have a lovely and unusual name."

To which The Girl, not yet his fiancee, replies:

"My father was a lovely and unusual person."  So it's implied her deceased Dad gave her whatever-the-name-is; nothing, IIRC, said about her mother.

It's interesting to read up on Daphne DuMaurier's life and see where the parallels to her own life situation lie in her fiction.
Here's something to start one off:
http://www.dumaurier.org/
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 05:23:13 AM »
Thanks D Friedlander :)