Author Topic: Same Actors/Different Characters  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Same Actors/Different Characters
« on: June 01, 2019, 02:13:13 AM »
Not really important, just musing on how many different characters some of the actors played.

Would you say Quentin only played (2)? One being Quentin of 1895, the only other I can think of is PT Quentin, who was not immortal.

Barnabas only played Bramwell for a short time.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Same Actors/Different Characters
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:24:38 AM »
There are 4 distinct Quentins over the course of the TV series: 1897 Quentin, 1970PT Quentin, 1840 Quentin, 1841PT Quentin.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »
the waters are a bit murky with the assorted and sundry "Quentins" because they all looked and sounded and acted exactly the same even if they were "technically" supposed to be different people. Selby was obviously given that direction.

they were supposed to 'represent' the same thing to the viewer.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:32:54 PM »
Nancy Barrett, Thayer David, and Grayson Hall probably played the largest number of different characters over time. Nancy played Carolyn, Millicent, Charity, Charity-possessed-by-Pansy aka Pansity, PT Carolyn, half-mad old Carolyn, Laetitia, Melanie, and Amanda--a total of 9 characters.

But Thayer actually surpassed that record: he portrayed Matthew Morgan, Ben, Eliot, Sandor, Count Petofi, Petofi with Quentin's spirit trapped in his body, evil PT Tim Stokes (in some ways the most impressive performance of all--it was a master class in acting virtuosity), old Eliot, old Ben Stokes, Mordecai Grimes, and PT Ben Stokes. I make that a staggering total of 11 different characters/characterizations.

No wonder Frid felt frustrated that all he ever got to do was play Barnabas until nearly the end of the series.

G

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »
Both NB and TD were virtuoso character actors. Like was once said of Alec Guinness, they could have played a dead tree stump and made it come to life.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »
One of my friends used to say that Nancy Barrett was a character actress in an ingenue's body.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:23:22 PM »
I had posted a while back, since I purchased the series, I got to see N. Barrett....so incredibly talented!
I really hated the way the 'main women' were pushed to the sides towards the end.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 01:04:42 AM »
My favorite Carolyn was "crazy Carolyn" in 1995.  Guess we can't say that was a different Carolyn since she was the same one, almost aged 50.  The make-up was great (but they should've grayed her hair).  The best scene was of her babbling away in her insanity while munching on grapes.  She almost came off as a DS Norma Desmond. 

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
My favorite Carolyn was "crazy Carolyn" in 1995.   The best scene was of her babbling away in her insanity while munching on grapes.  She almost came off as a DS Norma Desmond.

[pointing-up]

lololololol

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 08:16:10 AM »
I wonder if Nancy was ever suggested as a potential recast for Alice when Another World abruptly fired Jacqueline Courtney. The two ladies had a somewhat similar look and Nancy would have really nailed the character.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 12:29:38 AM »
Mentioning N. Barrett; when I had *finally* purchased the series, I started watching from ep 1.
I was really impressed with her acting ability.

Does anyone know what N. Barrett did after DS went off the air? I've never really heard too much.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »
Nancy went on to other soaps. She played a nurse named Kathy Ryker on The Doctors. Then she played the terminally ill Rachel Wilson on One Life to Live, where Lisa Richards played her nurse, Susan Barry. She had a short run on Ryan's Hope as a recast of the character Faith. The OLTL appearance was in 1974. She returned to OLTL as another character, District Attorney  Debra Van Druden.
She had a small part in a movie with Armand Assante called Beizaire, the Cajun. She did a fair amount of Theatre in NYC. Mostly off Broadway stuff.
None of the soap parts were long term and none of them were as memorable as her DS work.

Not all that much, I'm afraid. But I do recall that Nancy went back to school to study medicine. She had married Harold Kaplan, a prominent NYC psychiatrist and wanted to work in the field herself. I know that she would be within a few credits of graduating and would change her mind and go back to acting. I think that she did that a couple of times. No idea if she ever got her degree.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 05:30:12 AM »
But I do recall that Nancy went back to school to study medicine. She had married Harold Kaplan, a prominent NYC psychiatrist and wanted to work in the field herself. I know that she would be within a few credits of graduating and would change her mind and go back to acting. I think that she did that a couple of times. No idea if she ever got her degree. 

That's very interesting; I had never heard of any of that before.  I just tried looking her up on Wikipedia and imdb to see if I could find out anything about it, but there's no mention of it at all.
Josette

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
Harold Kaplan had been Phil Spector's psychiatrist for decades. Spector composed a song that was sort of a tribute to Kaplan. It's an instrumental titled Dr. Kaplan's Office.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 11:17:40 PM »
Nancy Barrett, Anthony George, and Grayson Hall were on OLTL at the same time in 1983.