Author Topic: room 24...and the price a' drapes  (Read 1952 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
room 24...and the price a' drapes
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:58:45 PM »
i've been watching dvd collection 15(the 1897 storyline)and just when i thought 'room 24' couldn't reappear again it shows up as tim shaw's room at the collinsport inn.this room is sort of like the roger davis of sets.
here the door that used to lead to the kitchenette is now the entrance to the room so the number '24' is not visible but i'd know this set anywhere.the window treatments are always the same.loose weave taupe drapes backed by venetian blinds.

so the question is this.since they went through the time and expense to design the elaborate victorian interiors used throughout the 1897 storyline how expensive could it have been to simply hang period-specific drapes in this room?

speaking of the collinsport inn they also utilize the lobby set here.that certainly took me back.i half expected victoria winters to walk in with her plaid suitcase fresh off the train from new york.in fact the early quentin storyline and the 1897 storyline both utilze sets not seen since the early black and white episodes.the collinsport inn.the police station.the caretakers cottage.what do you think they did with these sets when they weren't being used?were they sort of collapsable and could be folded up for storage and then easily set up when needed?the studio could only have been so large and in edition the the main sets always in use(collinwood.the old house)there must not have been space for the dozens of other sets occasionally used. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: room 24...and the price a' drapes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:58:10 PM »
what do you think they did with these sets when they weren't being used?were they sort of collapsable and could be folded up for storage and then easily set up when needed?

That's exactly it. Sets not in use were dismantled and stored in an ABC warehouse until they were needed again - in which case, they were trucked back to the studio and reassembled. And interestingly, the use of certain sets had been known to affect the shooting schedule. Episodes were sometimes shot out of sequence simply because a particular batch of non-consecutive episodes required a certain set and it was deemed easier to shoot out of sequence rather than strike what I'm assuming must have been a fairly complicated set to keep dismantling and reassembling.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 11:54:13 PM »
What is 'room 24' ??
I remember Tim Shaw's room in 1897 but it didn't strike a bell.  What else was it used for - what other rooms?

PS  Ya know, I'm really getting jealous - everyone referring to this DVD set and that DVD set.  I don't have ONE measly DVD set.  Have no idea what DS looks like on DVD.   :'(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:43:17 AM »
What is 'room 24' ??
I remember Tim Shaw's room in 1897 but it didn't strike a bell.  What else was it used for - what other rooms?

connie,

where do i start?
'room 24' was first the suite of rooms that burke devlin took at the collinsport in.that number was on the door.the set later shows up as tony peterson's apartment,then joe haskell's apartment,then someone else's i think(ned stuart?),then it show's up here in 1897 and in 1970 i think paul stoddard ends up there as well.i could be forgetting someone.

they reconfigure it each time a little.but they never change those damned drapes! ::)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 12:54:11 AM »
PS  Ya know, I'm really getting jealous - everyone referring to this DVD set and that DVD set.  I don't have ONE measly DVD set.  Have no idea what DS looks like on DVD.   :'(

Well, you've got company here.  Don't own a single one.   We could convince our daughters that college is a waste, and then raid the tuition funds...... >:D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 01:09:06 AM »
We could convince our daughters that college is a waste, and then raid the tuition funds......

I think that's exactly what you should do. After all, get your priorities straight! What's more important - a college education (doubtful!) or being able to watch DS in glorious digital clarity (a hands down winner!!)?

Parents - always thinking they need to put the kids first.  [sad3]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 01:11:37 AM »
Hii Mscybryk, some of the sets you mentioned, such as the caretakers cottage and the police station, did feature in the late 1968/early 1969 episodes in the Chris Jennings story, so they did get pulled out of the mothballs between 1966 and 1897.

I'm fascinated by the MB's information about episodes being shot out of sequence because of the sets involved.  I'd never thought of that before, but of course, it makes perfect sense.

For those of you have have never been there, the building used for the DS studio is TINY.  It's sort of an urban cottage in midtown NYC.  I've only been to the exterior and it is kind of fascinating to think of such magic being worked in such a scaled-down space.

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 05:04:55 AM »
We could convince our daughters that college is a waste, and then raid the tuition funds...... >:D

THIS is the best damned idea I've heard all week.

Me and my big mouth.....
"Don't worry about the money.....apply wherever you want to go and just get in."   [7385]

I could get EVERY DVD set - the entire series, for what off-campus housing at Penn State will be costing just for the upcoming spring semester.

mscbryk....
Thanks for the info.  I remember the room where Paul Stoddard was in shock and Julia and Prof. Stokes were trying to help him.(Wait...was that Stokes' place?)  OR...is it the room where he was first staying when he arrived back in Collinsport?  (Leviathan)

Don't remember/don't have earlier eps with Burke Devlin, Tony Peterson, et al.  Now see??  See?  I need all this stuff!  LOL
[sad1] [vryangg] [sad1]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 12:59:55 PM »
I remember between Tim Shaw and Paul Stoddard they installed a depressing sink into the room itself.  I don't know if Burke et al had the sink.   I don't have 1966 or 1968.

I can't afford a DVD player much less DVD sets, but I suppose it'll happen someday.  But not because I trhink anything of supposed digital quality.    I expect a loss in sound.   "Analog is warmer."-- Paul McCartney.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 05:22:45 PM »
I can't afford a DVD player much less DVD sets, but I suppose it'll happen someday.  But not because I trhink anything of supposed digital quality.    I expect a loss in sound.   "Analog is warmer."-- Paul McCartney.

MagnusTrask - I'm gonna have to take you to task on this one.

I believe McCartney was saying that analog RECORDINGS are warmer than digital recordings. There is virtually no loss of quality when an analog recording is transferred to a digital medium like CD or DVD. Conversely, you can transfer a digital recording to an analog medium and it's going to sound/look even worse.

Record in analog - release digitally.

Rest assured that DS does not sound better on VHS than it does on DVD. The opposite is true.

Another advantage of DVD, beside improved picture and sound quality, is that they do not wear out. You can store them practically forever, or watch them over and over, with no degradation in quality. Not true with VHS.

"Digital quality" has much to recommend it.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 06:50:46 PM »
There is virtually no loss of quality when an analog recording is transferred to a digital medium like CD or DVD.

Properly transferred, I should say.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 07:54:42 PM »
retzev---  "Record in analog--- release digitally."  I think Steely Dan does this.

I know that it's taken years for CDs to gradually catch up, somewhat, to vinyl in terms of the "warmth" of the sound, and in both cases I'm talking about albums originally recorded in analog.    This may not be so true with DVD vs. videotape.    I don't know.    But as you know, many people swear by vinyl.    Anyway, I don't go by assurances but by how things sound to me.

I'm not surprised that customers are being told that DVDs don't wear out.  That's just what they said about CDs, and I believe many people expect the earliest CDs to start degrading right about now.   Sure, tapes are hardly permanent either.

I'm suspicious of all the claims.  I'm sure someday I'll have a DVD player though.... and if I manage to buy DVD sets of one show, which is the most I could manage, I'm sure it will be DS.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 01:31:11 AM »
ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!

me thinks that perhaps i posted this topic in some haste.over the weekend i've been watching the progression of this storyline and was stunned to see that at some point they changed the devlin-era venetian blind set-up to proper victorian lace curtains.

however in the spirit of tradition the number "24" on the door leading to the set is clearly visible.i liked that. ;)