Poll

What do you think happened to Count Petofi during the fire which destroyed Charles Tate's studio?

He perished in the fire never to be seen again.
4 (17.4%)
He escaped at the last minute through his natural ingenuity.
8 (34.8%)
He escaped at the last minute using supernatural powers.
9 (39.1%)
He was rescued courtesy of Mr. Best.
0 (0%)
He was rescued courtesy of the Leviathans, who made him one of their followers in 1897.
1 (4.3%)
He escaped courtesy of Diabolos, who made him an agent of his realm a la Nicholas Blair.
0 (0%)
He perished in the fire, but was later resurrected as one of Gerard's zombie pirates which destroyed Collinwood in 1970.
0 (0%)
He perished in the fire, but returned as a ghost in 1968 to influence Adam to evil ways as Nicholas Blair had done (nice way to spite Petofi's 20th century lookalike, Prof. Stokes)
0 (0%)
Other (please opine in message replies)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: December 19, 2005, 05:21:15 AM

Author Topic: The fate of Count Petofi  (Read 4064 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
The fate of Count Petofi
« on: November 19, 2005, 04:40:41 AM »
New poll for DS Forums.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The fate of Count Petofi
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:28:21 AM »
He perished in the fire never to be seen again.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 08:26:02 AM »

Those glasses were outside the cottage!  He barely escaped through his own natural ingenuity.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »
Meaning, if he had magic up his sleeve, he'd have been able to take his glasses with him?  Okay.

The memory I'd carried around for 30 years until I got DS tapes was that Petofi appeared again in the "present day", and that everyone dreaded that his reattachment to his hand in the present would lead to the end of the world.  It was very disorienting when this never happened on the tapes.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 04:10:52 AM »
His glasses were outside, he was wearing them when the fire was started, so he was able to get out. He lost the glasses outside so he must have had some trouble getting out, and because he could hardly see without them he must have stumbled off somewhere. I'm sure that the writers were planning to bring him back again.

It also seemed to me that since he gave Tate his artistic talent back right before the fire, he also must have taken it away later. Otherwise Tate would have still had his talent and wouldn't have become a mediocre artist.

Misa

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »
The memory I'd carried around for 30 years until I got DS tapes was that Petofi appeared again in the "present day", and that everyone dreaded that his reattachment to his hand in the present would lead to the end of the world.  It was very disorienting when this never happened on the tapes.

I have a similar tale.  I could have SWORN, from watching DS on Public TV in the '80's, that there was a scene during the 1968 plotline where Julia asks Barnabas just who Cassandra really is, and he says, "I was married to that woman!" and Julia does her FACE and bats her lashes etc...

I have never seen that scene on the tapes or the DVD's.  I guess I dreamt it.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 04:52:44 PM »
Quentin's search for Count Petofi was mentioned in Sam Hall's famous 1971 TV Guide article, derived from his own notes for possible ways the plot could have continued after the PT 1841 storyline.

Several fan fiction writers (including, I believe, Dale Clark in a well-known series of small press novels) have written scenarios that involved the Count's return.  I even started one (but failed to get very far with it).

I'm quite sure that Petofi would have survived the events at Tate's cottage.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 08:06:17 AM »
I have a similar tale.  I could have SWORN, from watching DS on Public TV in the '80's, that there was a scene during the 1968 plotline where Julia asks Barnabas just who Cassandra really is, and he says, "I was married to that woman!" and Julia does her FACE and bats her lashes etc...

I have never seen that scene on the tapes or the DVD's.  I guess I dreamt it.  ;)

Someone only just recently on another board pointed out to me the thing with Julia and her eyelashes.    Hit my forehead like I wanted V-8 or something.    Of course she does that... I just hadn't consciously noticed it till then.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 01:42:45 AM »
I always thought Petofi escaped the fire by using his powers to go into a parallel band of time, where he stayed until he was ready to come back to this band of time.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 06:13:12 PM »
I heard years ago from someone that used to be in DS fandom (circa 1985!) that Thayer David himself had told one of the "studio kids" outside ABC-TV Studio 16 in late '69 not to be surprised if the Count came back to the present!  I believe that this may have been the writers' original plan: after all, Angelique followed Vicki to 1968 from 1796, so why shouldn't the Count do likewise once 1897 wrapped up?  But someone had made the fateful decision to read H.P. Lovecraft and use those Cthulu stories as the basis for the next DS storyline.  I've always wondered which one of the DS writers came up with the idea for Leviathan- does anyone know????  Sam Hall is still alive, as is Violet Welles.  Not having the show's most memorable male villain return for an encore was a very bad decision, and we know what happened next......

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 07:21:55 PM »
But someone had made the fateful decision to read H.P. Lovecraft and use those Cthulu stories as the basis for the next DS storyline.  I've always wondered which one of the DS writers came up with the idea for Leviathan- does anyone know????

According to Sam Hall, the decision to do Leviathans was all DC's idea, against the writers' vehement objections.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 07:42:56 PM »
I really didn't like the leviathan story, it made everyone under the power of the box seem like zombies, and wasted the potential of all the characters. I would have loved to have had Petofi show up again.

Misa

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »
I don't think I'd call LeviaLiz a "zombie."  A latter day Lucrezia Borgia is more like it! I just loved Joan Bennett's portrayal of the character as a truly depraved socialite.  And when she enthuses to Barnabas and Megan about welcoming Roger and Carolyn into the "club," it's a fabulous moment.

But perhaps the best of all is having David reprimand "Elizabeth" for her failure to carry out a certain assignment--and Liz takes it!  David's parting shot about making everything OK with Barnabas adds to the general hysteria of the moment.

Other juicy moments are little LeviAmy quietly, methodically torturing Quentin, Maggie, and Willie in various scenarios.

Nope, no zombies in THAT crew, that I can see!

cheers, G.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 07:50:17 PM »
Your'e right Gothick they weren't zombies. I guess I should have said that they reminded me of the Invasion of the Body Snachers, but with more emotion. They just weren't quite themselves.

Misa

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 07:44:05 AM »
But perhaps the best of all is having David reprimand "Elizabeth" for her failure to carry out a certain assignment--and Liz takes it!  David's parting shot about making everything OK with Barnabas adds to the general hysteria of the moment.

That was a marvelous moment.  I had forgotten about it.
Josette