Author Topic: Adding some Special Effects  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2002, 05:34:18 PM »
I've noticed on my own post that some colors show up better than others :( .  Most of the time I cannot read them at work but then again I am not supposed to  be reading them at work so bad me.
Now I could read the blue just fine but once I posted in green and had to squint to see it. I love how some posters get so creative with their post. Some day I will learn how you all do it.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT  Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2002, 05:59:42 PM »
I was the one who made the "inappropriate" comments, which I did not think were that inappropriate. I only said "f-ing" blue.

I really cannot read that "fun" blue.

Ah, sarcasm.  First off, reread the guidelines that, as I said before, you agreed to when you registered, and be mindful of how you speak to other posters.

If you didn't feel the comments were inappropriate, then why are you assuming yet another identity to say them?  You haven't requested your password from the board nor have you mentioned to MB or myself that you lost it.  Using multiple identities is not acceptable on these forums, and if you speak as you did to another poster using a different (and different from this one, I might add) identity, then it's going to be removed from the board again, and continuing to post under different identities to say anything at all will be risking your membership and posting privileges here.  And if you don't understand why the moderators of this board consider the use of multiple identities to be problematic issue, then all you have to do is write to me off board and I'll explain it to you.

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: OT   Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2002, 07:23:59 PM »

Ah, sarcasm.  First off, reread the guidelines that, as I said before, you agreed to when you registered, and be mindful of how you speak to other posters.

If you didn't feel the comments were inappropriate, then why are you assuming yet another identity to say them?  You haven't requested your password from the board nor have you mentioned to MB or myself that you lost it.  Using multiple identities is not acceptable on these forums, and if you speak as you did to another poster using a different (and different from this one, I might add) identity, then it's going to be removed from the board again, and continuing to post under different identities to say anything at all will be risking your membership and posting privileges here.  And if you don't understand why the moderators of this board consider the use of multiple identities to be problematic issue, then all you have to do is write to me off board and I'll explain it to you.

Looks like this post  provoked other comments that were not intended-Sorry,  I made the query since it has ignited problems.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT   Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2002, 07:36:41 PM »
Looks like this post  provoked other comments that were not intended-Sorry,  I made the query since it has ignited problems.

No need to apologize, VAM.  It could've happened anywhere.

I have a suggestion for one of your topics/polls, if you're interested in presenting the list.  How about we choose our favorite DS lawyer? [smash]

Albert Camus

Re: OT   Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2002, 10:24:56 PM »

I canceled my registration a number of days ago, so I am no longer a member. I feel that this forum's policies and setup pose an invasion of privacy and it compels people to ignore me, people who because they hate me, ignore me, which you have to admit is a real problem that I have to deal with. The following are reasons why I felt that registration on this forum posed an invasion of my privacy:
1. It collects my email address;
2. It collects my age;
3. It collects my location;
4. It collects statistics on the number of times I post;
5. It provides users the ability the view ALL of my posts on one page (through the profile). This can be used to profile people, to carefully look for odd personal details here and there. I do not want DS people knowing information about me.

If you didn't feel the comments were inappropriate, then why are you assuming yet another identity to say them?  

Because you deleted it! I only had used that name once, and I did not remember what it was. Often when I go on gay.com, I will make up a new chat name each time for my protection. I see no reason why I cannot do it here. I have no reason of abusing it. Obviously I know your collect the IP address, which would hold me accountable, unless I chose to circumvent that, which I don't see necessary since I have no reason to "abuse" it. I do not want people to know who I am, to associate me with some online identity. I don't want to be a poster here. I want to see my voice, my opinions come here ANONYMOUSLY when I feel like it. This is only accomplished, in the current setup, by using a variety of identities, so I would hope you would have the respect for me and decency to allow me to maintain my privacy and to allow me to publish my views here in a manner that allows them to be viewed objectively and not automatiically derided or unnecessarily scrutenized. Thus, my views will be evaulated on the basis of their merit, not on who I am or personal vendettas people childlishly harbor against me.

You haven't requested your password from the board nor have you mentioned to MB or myself that you lost it.

I canceled my membership for the aforementioend reasons.

Using multiple identities is not acceptable on these forums,

Why? So you peopel can decide to deride what I say and talk about me in private? So you can ignore me? Why can't I share my opinions and let them be evaluated objectively? Why do I have to allow people to be able to profile me by associating me with a certain handle and keeping notes of what I say and write? That's a bit extreme, and I know people here will do it, people who have vendettas against me, and I do not want to tolerate that kind of abuse against me. What other options do I have realisticly??

and if you speak as you did to another poster using a different (and different from this one, I might add) identity, then it's going to be removed from the board again,

I asked them to not use a "fun" blue. That is not abusive. Come on!

and continuing to post under different identities to say anything at all will be risking your membership and posting privileges here.  

I do not want membership here because of the invasion of privacy it poses.  What means would you use to prevent me form posting as a guest? Besides, I do not even see that listed in the rules, the order that I cannot use multiple identities! It seems like I am being picked on unjustly because of past, perhaps unresolved personal vendettas against me, and it is not professional at all to do so. Let the vendettas die.

I hope you will be responsible enough to allow people who don't want to be derided and profiled to post ANONYMOUSLY with a variety of names so that their opinions get the same treatment everyone else's does.

And if you don't understand why the moderators of this board consider the use of multiple identities to be problematic issue, then all you have to do is write to me off board and I'll explain it to you.

Now that I have deleted my account, I would prefer to keep my email confidential.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT   Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2002, 11:46:28 PM »
I canceled my registration a number of days ago, so I am no longer a member. I feel that this forum's policies and setup pose an invasion of privacy and it compels people to ignore me, people who because they hate me, ignore me, which you have to admit is a real problem that I have to deal with.

I will not admit to that because I would never presume to know what's in your head or heart.  After you introduced yourself and shared a bit about yourself, you were welcomed here by several members and I don't have any knowledge that anyone has ignored you, attacked you, or invaded your privacy.  Your decision to become a member, as well as to post, was by your choice.

The following are reasons why I felt that registration on this forum posed an invasion of my privacy:
1. It collects my email address;
2. It collects my age;
3. It collects my location;
4. It collects statistics on the number of times I post;
5. It provides users the ability the view ALL of my posts on one page (through the profile). This can be used to profile people, to carefully look for odd personal details here and there. I do not want DS people knowing information about me.

The owners of this forum don't profile users or seek to collect any information about them.  All members have the option of making their email private; you chose to post it in your 1st message on the board, so if you want it removed from that post, please let me know.  Age and location are optional and were only available for you because you chose to enter them into your profile.

If you didn't feel the comments were inappropriate, then why are you assuming yet another identity to say them?  

Because you deleted it! I only had used that name once, and I did not remember what it was. Often when I go on gay.com, I will make up a new chat name each time for my protection. I see no reason why I cannot do it here. I have no reason of abusing it. Obviously I know your collect the IP address, which would hold me accountable, unless I chose to circumvent that, which I don't see necessary since I have no reason to "abuse" it. I do not want people to know who I am, to associate me with some online identity. I don't want to be a poster here. I want to see my voice, my opinions come here ANONYMOUSLY when I feel like it. This is only accomplished, in the current setup, by using a variety of identities, so I would hope you would have the respect for me and decency to allow me to maintain my privacy and to allow me to publish my views here in a manner that allows them to be viewed objectively and not automatiically derided or unnecessarily scrutenized. Thus, my views will be evaulated on the basis of their merit, not on who I am or personal vendettas people childlishly harbor against me.

I have never treated you any other way except respectfully and decently.  You are not being singled out because NO users of this forum are allowed to post from the same access using multiple identities, nor have they ever been on any forums I've moderated.  I recommend that you remember your user name and continue to use it.  You can blame posters that have abused this process by using multiple names to troll in the past and those that continue to do so elsewhere now.  I feel that it's in the best interest of these forums to maintain this policy and that it would be detrimental to do otherwise.

Therefore, this is the way I'll continue to handle the issue of mutliple identities.  You are free to post here anonymously as a guest, but not to use multiple identities.  If you feel this is an unfair policy, that is certainly your right but I want to be clear that no exception will be made for you.

Why? So you peopel can decide to deride what I say and talk about me in private? So you can ignore me? Why can't I share my opinions and let them be evaluated objectively? Why do I have to allow people to be able to profile me by associating me with a certain handle and keeping notes of what I say and write? That's a bit extreme, and I know people here will do it, people who have vendettas against me, and I do not want to tolerate that kind of abuse against me. What other options do I have realisticly??

The forum is here so that you can share your opinions and I'm sorry if you feel ignored.  If you feel that this forum has unfair policies, then a moderated forum may not be the way to go for you.  No one behind these boards profiles, takes notes, seeks to abuse you, or has a vendetta against you.  It is not our intention to deride you for what you have to say, but if you choose to not be polite to other posters then please understand that this violates other posters' rights and affects their comfort level and that a moderator may step in.

and if you speak as you did to another poster using a different (and different from this one, I might add) identity, then it's going to be removed from the board again,

I asked them to not use a "fun" blue. That is not abusive. Come on!

I didn't remove that message; it's still in this topic.

I do not want membership here because of the invasion of privacy it poses.  What means would you use to prevent me form posting as a guest? Besides, I do not even see that listed in the rules, the order that I cannot use multiple identities! It seems like I am being picked on unjustly because of past, perhaps unresolved personal vendettas against me, and it is not professional at all to do so. Let the vendettas die.

I'm not preventing you from posting as a guest.  I'm asking you to not post under multiple identities, but if you still do so, you will risk your posting privileges even as a guest.

I will not discuss the issue of vendettas with you because no one on this board has been prejudicial in their treatment of you and I don't see what it has to do with the issue at hand anyway.

I hope you will be responsible enough to allow people who don't want to be derided and profiled to post ANONYMOUSLY with a variety of names so that their opinions get the same treatment everyone else's does.

I take my responsibilities to these forums very seriously.  No one is deriding you on this board and I've seen no proof that anyone has profiled you.

Now that I have deleted my account, I would prefer to keep my email confidential.

As I said, please let me know if you want it removed from your post.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2002, 02:19:05 AM »
I've noticed on my own post that some colors show up better than others :( .  Most of the time I cannot read them at work but then again I am not supposed to  be reading them at work so bad me.
Now I could read the blue just fine but once I posted in green and had to squint to see it. I love how some posters get so creative with their post. Some day I will learn how you all do it.

I have trouble reading some of the colors too  thought it was my computer because the color is off but i just end up highlighting some of the posts to read seems to work!

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2002, 02:21:25 AM »
I think I like DS without all of the special effects.  Even on Buffy alot of looks cheap to me.  And that is today's standards.   Ds had by far the best makeup.

jon
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2002, 02:25:19 AM »

Less is more.

Instead of playing around with bats and fake blood, I would be taking a page from the Val Lewton unit from RKO in the 40s (anyone remember the original Cat People or the marvelous, The Seventh Victim?) and trying to create suspense and terror without the hack'n' slash stuff.

Might also play around with sound a bit more.  They really could have done some creative things for very little money (ala The Haunting (original version, thank you) or even Blair Witch Project.

Less is more.

Luciaphil

Boy, Luciaphil, it looks like we have very similar feelings about this show!

DS often managed to give me a sudden start with non-special effects stage tricks. For example, sometimes you have a "ghost," "witch" or other suddenly appear out of thin air. This was accomplished simply by standing the actor in a shadowy corner of the room and having them step out into the light, or else have the spotlight suddenly appear on them. I've jumped with surprise more than once at this very effective trick. Much more effective than squeaky rubber bats and tacky chroma-key shots.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2002, 02:28:17 AM »
It would have been nice to have more location shots at Collinwood and the Old House; if they had the money and ability, the camera could zoom in on various parts of the houses, and through the windows into the scene that was about to be played. Seeing the houses from different angles and perhaps aerial views would have been nice too. And since there were so many scenes played out in the woods surrounding Collinwood, a more realistic woods setting would have been a huge improvement.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2002, 03:07:22 AM »
To be honest, the special effects (or what puported to be them), wasn't the real problem -- the thing that the show could have used far more was a decent budget and a realistic recording schedule with post production facilities.

Special effects are pheripheral by their very nature -- indulgence to paint your story on a broader canvas.  On "Dark Shadows", the viewer was presented with an interesting juxtaposition of the very bad and very good, often within the space of a single scene.  

And that lets the show down far more than any hokey special effect.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Albert Camus

OT  Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2002, 01:02:30 PM »
I don't have any knowledge that anyone has ignored you, attacked you, or invaded your privacy.  Your decision to become a member, as well as to post, was by your choice.  

[shadow=red,left,300]There were two specific incidents where I made comments or questions to Gothick and he did not acknolwedge them.[/shadow]

The owners of this forum don't profile users or seek to collect any information about them.

I believe that. However, members may want to do so. I know that if I personally wanted to profile someone, I could do so quite easily with that feature, and that scares me that others could do the same to me.

NO users of this forum are allowed to post from the same access using multiple identities, nor have they ever been on any forums I've moderated.  I recommend that you remember your user name and continue to use it.  

I just canceled it. As regards the multiple identities issue, I will just create a new identity and register it in a week or two. I will simply not post any true personal information about myself, so I will not have to worry about this issue.

No one behind these boards profiles, takes notes, seeks to abuse you, or has a vendetta against you.  

What about people like ********? I recieved a threat from her in email. There aer always people out there watching.

I didn't remove that message; it's still in this topic.
I thought you did?

I've seen no proof that anyone has profiled you.
That is the sort of thing done in private by people like ****; it is not readily apparent.

As I said, please let me know if you want it removed from your post.

I would be grateful.

Offline LarasBestBuddy

• Lara is still my best buddy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2002, 06:14:24 PM »
Oh my. This looks like to be a most perplexing subject. Coming from a newbie to this board, as I obviously am, and truly not to offend anyone, which I don't, wished I'd been a fly on that wall - LOL
With warmest regards,

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Re:  Adding some Special Effects
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2002, 06:42:24 PM »
>>I don't have any knowledge that anyone has ignored you, attacked you, or invaded your privacy.  Your decision to become a member, as well as to post, was by your choice.<<

[shadow=red,left,300]There were two specific incidents where I made comments or questions to Gothick and he did not acknolwedge them.[/shadow]

That sounds like something that can be handled privately between you and the other poster.  I know you're saying it because I said I wasn't aware of anyone ignoring you, but I do want to encourage that private issues between posters be handled privately.

>>The owners of this forum don't profile users or seek to collect any information about them.<<

I believe that. However, members may want to do so. I know that if I personally wanted to profile someone, I could do so quite easily with that feature, and that scares me that others could do the same to me.

I'd suggest, since this is your concern, that you share your personal information sparingly.

>>NO users of this forum are allowed to post from the same access using multiple identities, nor have they ever been on any forums I've moderated.  I recommend that you remember your user name and continue to use it.<<

I just canceled it.

I was referring to the one you're using now.

As regards the multiple identities issue, I will just create a new identity and register it in a week or two.

I thought about suggesting that to you but I wasn't sure if you were interested in registering again.  But I ask that in the meantime (meaning until you reregister), please please please stay as Albert Camus.

I will simply not post any true personal information about myself, so I will not have to worry about this issue.

I understand.  I really do understand.

>>No one behind these boards profiles, takes notes, seeks to abuse you, or has a vendetta against you.<<

What about people like ********? I recieved a threat from her in email. There aer always people out there watching.

Sorry-- I made the stars, but you're accusing someone by name of making a threat toward you... in writing on this board.  I'm not seeking to deride or correct you but to protect the board.  AC, if no one here is making threats against you on or through this forum, I don't even want to know about it because it has nothing to do with these boards and therefore isn't my business.  I can certainly sympathize with your desire and concern for personal safety and I think not sharing any more personal information here is a wise decision in light of your problems elsewhere.

>>I didn't remove that message; it's still in this topic.<<
I thought you did?

Nope.

>>I've seen no proof that anyone has profiled you. <<
That is the sort of thing done in private by people like ****; it is not readily apparent.

I talked about that above.  And as you mentioned before, only members have access to profile information.  That having been said, there's also a guideline about discussing the problems of other DS forums here; it was written to prevent fights and problems on other forums from spilling over to here.  I do hear what you're saying about your concerns and I'm sorry you've encountered problems in fandom.  If anyone uses these boards to harrass or attack you in any way, please let me know and I'll try to help.  And I think that keeping personal info to yourself on this board is a good way for you to go.

>>As I said, please let me know if you want it removed from your post.<<

I would be grateful.

I'll do it right now.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2002, 08:02:59 PM »
Count me among those of the "less is more" school as far as special effects are concerned.

I think why I keep going back to DS is because the fact that it is basically live theatre on tape gives it an edgy quality and dynamism that makes it unique.  As I've said elsewhere, it creates its own category.

Entertainment today has become all about effect.  Substance has gone by the wayside.  One of the many reasons I feel strongly not in favor of remaking DS is that the kind of theatricality that made it so colorful and so compelling is no longer permitted in media entertainment, except for a small handful of visionary directors (Todd Haynes comes to mind as one).

Plus, the squeaky little toy bats are just so damned cute.

Gothick