Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer HD remaster  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Buffy the Vampire Slayer HD remaster
« on: April 08, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »
I'm not a Buffy fan (sorry) and I only glanced at this video, but it might be of interest to folks here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWNGq70Oyo

It sounds like yet another chapter in what I consider to be the MUTILATION of many classic films and TV shows as they get "upgraded" into some weird concept of "high definition."

Also relevant for those who have followed the saga of the mangling of the 1991 DS series on home video. A friend told me that a few years ago, a properly restored edition was finally issued for 1991 DS but apparently it was a limited pressing.

Best wishes,

Gothick

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer HD remaster
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 12:36:09 AM »
Thanks for posting the link, Gothick - though I couldn't even get through watching half of the video because I was getting sicker by the second as details of the problems unfolded (I mean, actually showing the crew shooting a scene!!).

Though fans of the '91 DS are all too familiar with the horrors of not doing color correction correctly!!  [easter_rolleyes]

As for the friend who told you that a few years ago, a properly restored edition was finally issued for the '91 DS, did they actually buy the set and/or see it for themselves? The reason I ask is because, if not, they may have simply been going by several reports that were circulated that such a set was to be released. However, truth be told, when people bought the set in question, it turned out to be exactly the same as the butchered version even though all the stats on the box say otherwise and certainly lead one to believe everything wrong with the first transfer has been corrected. The amount of anger that generated in the people who bought it (thankfully I hadn't gotten around to it) was far from pretty...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:46:22 PM »
Hi MB, yes, he did buy the set, but I'm not sure how much he has watched of it. I can ask him to send me the details again. I thought we had discussed it on here. I do remember another one that was marketed as a restoration and turned out to be the same old crap.

Talking of marketing old crap claiming it's restored, one of the major companies did that a month or two ago with the iconic Hammer studios classic, HORROR OF DRACULA. Very upsetting. I really can't write my thoughts about what has happened to that film since the recovery of some lost footage in Japan. The "restoration" turned into a classic case of how NOT to do a vintage horror film on "high definition" formats.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »
So, this is the set my friend wrote me about. I am sure you heard about this at the time since I think you have some kind of thing set up where you receive alerts whenever somebody mentions DS in any context online:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Complete-Ben-Cross/dp/B00P7ZD578/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=%22dark+shadows%22+1991+dvd&qid=1554826351&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

He did say that the color grading in the day-for-night scenes is still not quite right; still not as good as the VHS. I have no idea why this is so problematic. It seems as if these HD whackos who do the authoring for these home video releases now just have no idea at all about cinematography 101. Particularly when dealing with "legacy" materials.

Unfortunately this 2015 set almost immediately went OP. Because as everyone knows, we can't have nice things.

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »
Thanks so much for the link, Gothick.  [easter_smiley]  But whoa - one set left in stock - and for $199.99?! And that's the Prime price - it's $350.12 for non-Prime members!!

I do have Prime, but it would be a cold day in hell before I would pay $199.99 for something that still isn't perfected. I'll stay with my MPI VHS tapes (which I've transferred to DVD). Plus, they have additional footage that none of the DVD releases have.

And I could have sworn that we talked about this release and there might have been more than the color timing that was off. But I don't have the time right now to hunt up the topic...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »
My friend provided this quote from a Collinsport Historical Society article published in 2015:

"Another nagging problem with the original digital transfer was also not corrected for the 2015 DVD release of DARK SHADOWS: the color timing of several day-for-night shots in the series.
 "When MGM re-transferred the 1991 episodes for the DVD and digital releases, the mastering technicians did not properly 'color time' the pilot footage that was shot 'day for night'
using filters on the camera," Pierson said. "Therefore this material does not appear as dark as intended so it appears that Barnabas is flirting with dim daylight, unfortunately."

My friend commented:

"I’m not familiar with the process of “color timing,” but it sounds like the issue lies with MGM (the owners of the series’ original elements).  They’re the ones who created the film-to-digital transfers which have subsequently been licensed for release on DVD.  So TGG Direct isn’t really to blame for MGM’s flawed transfer.  You’d think if there were any technical specs that needed to be followed during the transfer process, the folks at MGM would have them (given that they own the footage).  Oh well, perhaps if the series eventually gets a high-definition transfer, they’ll fix the issue then.  One can only hope."

As to hope--I wouldn't hold my breath. I personally have never seen this series looking at all visually pristine. Even the VHS tapes which I did see appeared to be quite grainy and there seemed to be a heavy use of mist and soft focus. If some HD enthusiast attempted to give it the typical treatment fashionable today, everybody might wind up looking like painted bits of rubber as has been complained about the look of the BtVS set.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 05:06:11 PM »
Interestingly, this set (originating from Spain, but on sale here on German Amazon) says it's 4 x 3. But it's not clear whether the original English soundtrack is an option. It's only around 16 Euros which is a lot cheaper than the one on US Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/Shadows-VAMPIROS-VOLUMEN-Spanien-Sprachen/dp/B075FBB585/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=%22dark+shadows%22+19
91+dvd&qid=1554850401&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

My friend found this--he said there are some others available from European manufacturers/distributors. The main thing if you buy it is to try and determine if it does offer the original US language and music track.

VAMPIROS... what an original title for it!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
Darren Gross has often commented that an HD transfer wouldn't really work with the '91 DS because of how DC filmed it using smoke machines for his desired effect. (Barbara Steele even commented that once production ended all the cast was going to have to be put into iron lungs to recuperate.) The use of smoke is why certain scenes come across so grainy on DVD and to a lesser extent on the VHS - and that graininess would only be compounded in HD. On the other hand, things didn't come across that same way on the standard TVs that were around in '91, and those are the types of TVs the show was meant to be watched on.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »
Thanks, MB.

It seems as if with the current cult for HD and reconfiguring everything to the 16 x 9, HD standard, compounded with what seems to have been a precipitous loss of basic pre 1990 film culture (although it must also be said that more 20th century film material is now available with a higher standard of quality, overall, than has ever been the case prior to this date), the issues involved in curating and presenting material that would seem as generic as a hit WB TV series from the late 1990s (BtVS) prove to be surprisingly formidable.

Regard the above as somebody who's really out of touch with current media taking notes.

cheers, G.