Author Topic: Adding John Karlen  (Read 1290 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Adding John Karlen
« on: November 06, 2005, 09:46:11 PM »
I was looking up various people on http://www.nndb.com the other day and noticed that they did not have a section for John Karlen.  So, in an attempt to correct this grievous error, I wrote and suggested that they add him to the page with a link to the Dark Shadows cast list (which, btw, though they have a good start but it's pretty woefully incomplete).  I was thrilled to find today that they accepted my suggestion and he's now on the page...woo hoo!!!  [thumbright]

My next project is to get them to add Joan Bennett to the cast list along with a link from her page...she's in the dB but no reference to DS [hdscrt] - which is just weird .  I've emailed them about it - anyone who would like to join in this little campaign to get more DS recognition, please feel free to join me... there are several other omissions that should be fixed.  I'm sure if some of you have a chance to take a look, you'll agree.

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Adding John Karlen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 01:35:30 PM »
Sexual orientation??? The times they are a changin'....

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 02:54:44 PM »
Yes, I know - I guess you could consider that a bit intrusive.  Or, if you look at it from another viewpoint, just more open.  I don't know. They don't have the same set of stats for everyone though.  Religion/spirituality is another one that isn't always listed.  The one I thought was kind of odd was health risks...especially when the person has already passed on - talk about a moot point.  :-
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »
That's great... yes, times are changing.  Had to laugh when I read the sexual orientation.  Sheez, like who cares, except JK?    ::)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 10:49:36 PM »
NNDB is a somewhat controversial web site. Aside from the fact that they seem to have no qualms about poaching images from other sites for their bios, the "character," for lack of a better word, of the organization that registered the domain name has been called into question on various research/library type forums. The site is registered by Soylent Communications, which allegedly has ties to a hacker organization. The entry about the company on Wikipedia is rather vague, but it's probably the most info you'll find anywhere.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:00:51 PM »
I don't understand the reference to "health risks".  Does being either famous, or infamous require one to give up all privacy, no matter how intimate the subject?  Why on earth would anyone expect to log onto this site and be able to ascertain the health issues confronting the individual in question?

Who reports this alleged "health information"?  Who verifies it?  And most mysterious to me, who thinks it's any of their damned business?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
Well, sorry everyone.  I really didn't mean to start WWIII - I just saw the incomplete section on DS and I thought it wouldn't hurt to try and fill in the blanks.

I've read quite a bit on this site and, while it seemed controversial at times, I didn't think it was the worst thing I've seen.  For the Internet, it actually seemed pretty tame.  But then, I may be getting a little more desensitized than I thought.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 12:11:31 AM »
I think privacy concerning a person's health is huge (duh, I'm a nurse), but when I see the "health risks" on, as an example, Kate Jackson's NNDb page when she has discussed in magazine and talk show interviews, even Larry King Live, her smoking and breast cancer (and open heart surgery, which her editor forgot to mention), then I don't have a problem with it.  It's very weird, though, to be provided a link to a list of every other celebrity in the db who supposedly has the same health issue, but I guess that might suit somebody's needs.  ::)

Anyway, celebrity databases such as these do serve a purpose and I don't think any one of them should be considered a definitive source anyway.  One friend of mine refers to IMDb as the Incorrect Movie Database.  But I think it's a good thing to see the DS actors included, so no worries, CastleBee.   8)

Offline JoeNathan

• A sedative? Why, yes, I'd LOVE a sedative!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:35:05 PM »
... Anyway, celebrity databases such as these do serve a purpose and I don't think any one of them should be considered a definitive source anyway.  One friend of mine refers to IMDb as the Incorrect Movie Database.  But I think it's a good thing to see the DS actors included, so no worries, CastleBee.   8)

Obviously there are different ways of looking at this issue.  The problem is that, once a person becomes a "celebrity", then just about anything in his or her llife will become public fodder.  Of course, the more celebrated the person is, the more this will be true.

I myself don't watch Entertainment Tonight type programs on TV and I nevert buy magazines People, Us, or the gossip newspapers, but I am curious enough to read them as I am waiting in line at the grocery.

As for sexual orientation - e.g., is the fact that Joel Crothers was gay an interesting fact, an uninteresting fact, or a neutral fact?  Is it an important fact?  Is it none of anyone's business?  That this fact is known - does it hurt or help the "gay comunnity" or the world in general, or, again, is it neutral?  All answers to these questions will be highly subjective.

I am straight.  Crothers is one of my favorite actors.  When I found out he was gay it didn't change my opinion of him one way or another.  My personal attitude is that the more gay celebrities come out of the closet, the quicker will come the time when gayness is considered a normal way of being as much as straightness (or bisexualness for that matter) - ditto, of course, for non-celebrities who can without suffering too great a negative consequences (celebrities obviously are given a pass more so if they are gay just because they are celebrities.).

Why someone's sexual orientation, especially a celebrity's, is more interesting then, say, his or her foot size, car owned, or religion followed - well I don't know -  guess people are just curious by nature.  I don't think that is necessariy bad.
Dark Shadows Rocks!