Author Topic: I am addicted to this board!!!  (Read 905 times)

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
I am addicted to this board!!!
« on: April 12, 2002, 04:53:04 AM »
I am having so much fun with board.  I cant leave the computer (LOL).  Anyway, I think I am going to order cable and to get the sci-fi channel.  So I wont buy the tapes and I can keep up with everyone.   I just wait for the DVD.

jon
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I am addicted to this board!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 05:25:00 AM »
Yes Jon, this board can get addictive .... LOL  :o  :)

I wouldn't be watching DS on Sci-Fi without subscribing to Broadband Digital .....it's not on our regular cable here.
I was going to wait and get a DVD player when they make them to record on then again, I want to buy the boxed sets with my income tax return money.....  ;D

It's been a hoot chatting with you on AOL the past day or so.   Welcome to the board too.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 09:44:13 PM »
thanks Donna, Its been very fun chatting with someone who is into Dark Shadows as well.

I cant wait to make more friends.

jon

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 10:18:15 PM »
Jon, judging from the fact that your post has already been read 40 times when it's barely an hour old, I'd say you're in good company!

I hope you continue to enjoy DS.  Have you seen the entire series before?  Curious whether you have a favorite storyline.  I started watching in June 1968 and my favorite storyline is still the 1968 story, especially involving Cassandra, Nicholas, Tom and Chris Jennings, etc.  My next favorite is the Leviathans, especially the early weeks when "Detective Julia Hoffman investigates"!

Steve

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 11:41:47 PM »
Hey Gothick, I can relate to the '68 storyline as that was when I started taping DS off the local station in July of '84, (back in the day). So the '68 storyline has special meaning to me.

I know those episodes inside out so Iam looking forward to future posts when Sci-fi gets there.

Although 1795 is lots of fun too because that was where I first started watching the show.

B

Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2002, 01:51:38 AM »
I am having so much fun with board.  I cant leave the computer (LOL).  Anyway, I think I am going to order cable and to get the sci-fi channel.  So I wont buy the tapes and I can keep up with everyone.   I just wait for the DVD.

jon

Hi Jon - I'm new here too and I agree this is a great forum for Dark Shadows fans.

I think Sci Fi on cable is the way to go unless money is no object. Of course, in Parallel Time where I have all the money in the world, I would love to own the entire series on MPI collectors tapes or DVD, but unfortunately I just can't seem to get into that Parallel Time room! >:(

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2002, 04:00:42 PM »
I think I am going to order cable and to get the sci-fi channel.  So I wont buy the tapes and I can keep up with everyone.   I just wait for the DVD.

Hey Jon, welcome!  I've been on this board (and its previous incarnations) for over two years now, and I attribute our success to the constant mix of old-timers and newbies injecting new blood (so to speak) into this group.   8)

Although I watched DS as a kid starting in '69, I didn't begin to view the entire series until the Sci-Fi run starting 30 years later.  There's something to be said about the ritual of taking in only two eps a day and then waiting another day for the next set, as I did for two-and-a-half years.  For me, that was enough to absorb, and it gave me something to look forward to each day.  

I, too, would say cable is the way to go.  However, I highly recommend getting some of the MPI compilation tapes, such as "DS Bloopers," "30th Anniversary," and "Behind the Scenes."  The clips shown (especially the hysterical bloopers), along with the cast interviews and cast-audience exchanges at the DS Fests, will enrich your knowledge of the show and help you more readily absorb the future developments in the series.  

Assuming that all the usual advantages of DVDs are contained in the DS ones -- greater video clarity, ease of locating episodes (no more of that annoying fast-forwarding or rewinding), plus extras such as recent cast interviews and features -- I probably will be tempted to try at least one box set.

See ya 'round, Jon.   :)

Ben

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2002, 02:28:20 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the support.  Every one is very friendly.

I got into Dark Shadows back in 1996.  I loved Soaps and read about it and I caught some on Sci-fi.  Been a fan since.  I have about 40 MPI videos including Best of Dark Shadows, Bloppers, and Night Of Dark Shadows.

I wish to own the whole series.  Because I have only seen bits of shows, expect for my tapes.  I am only familiar with the Intro of Barbarnas till right before 1796.

jon