Author Topic: Svengoolie, Sleepy Hollow and DS  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Svengoolie, Sleepy Hollow and DS
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:41:44 AM »
This past weekend (Saturday, 1/12), Svengoolie on MeTV aired the cheesy "Village of the Giants" (presented in Svensurround, meaning his own brand of sound effects were added).  The cast!  The music!  The pop culture locations! ... I could not stop watching.  As always, he broke to talk about the cards and letters he receives from fans, and one such letter came with photos of a couple with the last name Pietrantoni-- DS fans posing in their Svengoolie tees in front of the Collins crypt from HoDS.  Unfortunately, Sven identified it as the having been "used on the Dark Shadows TV Show," sigh.  But I did not know that the cemetery has dedicated an open casket space inside to Barnabas.  See the couple's photo below.

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: Svengoolie, Sleepy Hollow and DS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:00:50 AM »
Yes midnite, the guide let us go in the Collins crypt on our private tour during the fest and we got to see the Dark Shadows display. The Collins crypt was actually the Sleepy Hollow cemetery temporary holding depository when the grounds were frozen or snowbound delaying burials. Too bad you had another commitment and weren't able to join us.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »
Wow, what a great photo. Is that where the Carolyn and Angelique funeral scenes were shot in hoDS and NoDS?

I wonder if that "installation" is permanent or is just something that somebody puts up whenever a DS fan group is being given a tour? I would think the latter.

Thanks for sharing this!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:02:04 AM »
I believe hoDS used a set for the interior of the mausoleum and NoDS built an exterior set on the grounds of Lyndhurst for the mausoleum.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 06:19:14 AM »
This past weekend (Saturday, 1/12), Svengoolie on MeTV aired the cheesy "Village of the Giants" ... As always, he broke to talk about the cards and letters he receives from fans, and one such letter came with photos of a couple with the last name Pietrantoni-- DS fans posing in their Svengoolie tees in front of the Collins crypt from HoDS.

I saw that that film was going to be on Svengoolie, but I didn't know it, so I didn't watch. But thankfully you were able to catch the DS connections!  [snow_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »
The Collins crypt was actually the Sleepy Hollow cemetery temporary holding depository when the grounds were frozen or snowbound delaying burials.

There's an account in the DS Movie book from the Production Designer/one of the Producers that there had been a union strike of cemetery diggers during the time Carolyn's funeral was shot, and corpses had begun to pile up (his words, not mine) inside of that depository until scabs were eventually called in to do the work.  So the filming was often interrupted so workers could bring out bodies for burial.  Curtis was of course irritated, saying it's not like they were going anywhere anyway.  [snow_rolleyes]

Too bad you had another commitment and weren't able to join us.

<sigh>

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »
Curtis was of course irritated, saying it's not like they were going anywhere anyway.

Loved that Dan...  [stfl]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
When the rare-ish 1956 movie The Werewolf aired on MeTV this past weekend, you know the Chris Jennings werewolf just HAD to make an appearance in the Svengoolie dungeon. (see attachment)