Author Topic: The Secret of Victoria Winters--Marilyn Ross  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Secret of Victoria Winters--Marilyn Ross
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:29:28 AM »
I saw this link earlier today. According to the late Craig Hamrick, Dan ("Marilyn") Ross wrote a novella, THE SECRET OF VICTORIA WINTERS, for the Paperback Gothic DS series. The text would seem to have been composed sometime in 1968. I guess the book was canceled. It seems quite odd since a four chapter novella does not at all fit the usual format of Ross's work. This MS was originally published in a 1993 fanzine--I obviously have no idea whether it was really the work of Mr. Ross.

http://www.darkshadowsonline.com/victoria/secret_story.html

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret of Victoria Winters--Marilyn Ross
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
At the 2006 Festival I heard someone ask Marilyn Ross about this work. This was not in a panel; it was in the dealer's room. She had a sad look on her face and mentioned Craig Hamrick's battle with cancer (initially I said "passing" here but when I thought about it, I'm almost positive he was still alive at this point. I believer I heard he died soon after. A few months after the festival I tracked down a copy of this story. So I've modified my post here. Maybe someone else closer to Craig can let me know if my timeline is correct or if it's off). She said something about her husband being very happy with his adaptation of the story he'd written. My memory is not specific with regard to direct quotations but I do recall vividly that she was aware of who he was and that he had Ross's blessing to adapt the story.

I doubt that it would have been published as a novella. I suspect that the story was a mostly about the personal details and that there would have been a mystery involved as well, perhaps one that teamed up Barnabas and Vicki in much the same way she and Burke worked together in some of the other novels. This is just a guess, of course. At the time I was not aware of the novella until I heard Mrs. Ross talk about it, so I didn't have any questions ready.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:56:20 PM »
Because of a plot detail that would be a huge spoiler to mention, I think Mr. Ross must have written this sometime in the Spring or Summer of 1969. From what you write, Doctor & K9, I'm presuming that the four chapter novella was the result of Craig or another writer adapting Mr. Ross's plot outline. I actually haven't read any of the Ross books in decades so cannot comment on how closely this text follows his very standardized writing patterns.

I don't think DS fans would have been able to accept the ending of the book at all. It diverges way too far from established canon. Even by the "standards" of the Ross books, which is saying a lot.

Lovely that you were able to speak with Mrs. Ross. I hope she had a good time at the event.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 06:05:27 PM »
I don't think DS fans would have been able to accept the ending of the book at all. It diverges way too far from established canon. Even by the "standards" of the Ross books, which is saying a lot.

Well, yes. A central twist involves backstory that wasn't even possible within the TV show for a very obvious reason. The explanation of Vicki's background may be able to be accepted within the canon of the Ross books, and that's all well and good for people who are into them, but certainly not within the canon of the TV show. Plus, the Ross twist takes some aspects of the TV show and makes them truly twisted in ways they would never be otherwise...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
It's not quite as out there as the skit that was performed at the Dracula convention in the late 1990's that identified the parents of Vicki as Elizabeth and Count Dracula.
Fade Away and Radiate