Author Topic: And once again it's the "Dark Shadows star" Chloe Moretz in...  (Read 680 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And once again it's the "Dark Shadows star" Chloe Moretz in...
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:01:24 AM »

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: And once again it's the "Dark Shadows star" Chloe Moretz in...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:26:55 AM »
Amazing!  She's done so many other things, and Carolyn is a rather small role in DS, which supposedly wasn't that successful, so it's really surprising that it's the one they would choose to identify her by.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:55:39 PM »
The Depp/DS film wasn't as successful as expected in the US, but it was successful in the rest of the world, and particularly in England, where The Daily Mail is based. In fact, worldwide the Deep/DS film was Chloe Moretz' most successful film, so I imagine that's why they identify her with it so often.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:37:13 AM »
And considering that "Depp Shadows" was filmed in - ahem - "new" England, it's no surprise the film was wildly successful there.  Heck, the production company brought over an entire Amtrak passenger train!  And a Shell gas station!  I was going to add McDonald's, but England has Mickey-Dee's.  I've dined in them, from Stratford-On-Avon (at that time, the largest Mc-Dee's in the world), to Canterbury, to Southampton.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:30:21 AM »
And considering that "Depp Shadows" was filmed in - ahem - "new" England,  I was going to add McDonald's, but England has Mickey-Dee's.
Gerard

Gerard, this is a big 'bug-a-boo' with me; under the golden arches it says something like 9 Billion served; I can remember about this time it was approximately 5 Million.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »
Patti, I dread to reveal my age, but I remember when it said:  "Over 1,000,000 Served."  And that's when McDonald's icon was "Speedy" on the arches.  If any of you remember Speedy, you're just a few years off for applying for Medicare.  Oh, by the way, I and friends pulled into a McDee's in southern Wisconsin and it had found a discarded Speedy and mounted him over the entrance.  Talk about a blast from the past, man!

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
Hmmm - I don't remember a Speedy. But then I don't think we got a McDonalds until the early '70s, so I'm guessing he was gone by then as there's no Speedy in the Depp/DS film when we see the arches...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
And they're at it again - only this time it's "Dark Shadows actress":

Chloe Grace Moretz visits Playboy model Kate Harrison at an LA home... after the two shared THAT steamy kiss

It's just too bad that all The Daily Mail seems to be interested in when it comes to her is tabloid schlock...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »
MB, don't quote me because I can't be historically absolutely sure (and here I am, a history teacher), but I think by the late 60's Speedy was fazed out and by the early 70's he was replaced by Ronald, Mayor McCheese, the Hamburgler, etc. 

By the late 70's, my hometown had the second oldest remaining "original" McDonald's - it was a small structure with no indoor seating, just an interior section to come in and order take-out.  But it was time to "upgrade."  Because of the historical significance of our McDee's, there was a movement to preserve it while building an enjoining full-seated restaurant behind it.  It went all the way up to the highest echelon who considered the preservation.  It became national news (until that Steven Avery thing, but let's not talk about that), but when it would've required purchasing the homes behind it and razing them to the ground and the owners wouldn't sell, the effort ended.  As the second-last original structure was torn down, the tiles from it were preserved and offered for sale with appropriate engraving on them to raise money for the planned Ronald McDonald's Houses for families of hospitalized children. 

And the rest, as they say, is history. 

Gerard