Author Topic: OT: Capt Kirk covers Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Capt Kirk covers Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
« on: October 24, 2005, 05:38:22 PM »
Friends, I just have to share this link to an incredibly brilliant video presentation of the already legendary-in-its-awfulness Shatner Beatles cover:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/29841/

There's masses of mid 20th century pop culture imagery swirling throughout this masterpiece, but the only tangential reference to DS I could spot (and it's extremely oblique) is the moment when we see the Flying Nun swoop down with Capt Kirk's head in the bonnet.  That reminded me of Castlebee's brilliant "Flying Barnabas" image.

Enjoy!

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Capt Kirk covers Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 06:54:24 PM »
Oh dear goddess!!  What the HELL was THAT?!

I can imagine a bunch of (stoned)  people getting together and letting Shatnerrecord that awful cat-howl of a song.....but what drooling idiot allowed it to be released to an unsuspecting public?

The VISUAL, on the other hand, was absolutely brilliant.  It was literally like watching my (Baby-Boomer)  life pass before my eyes!!!
And for the record, Frid makes a MUCH better looking Flying Nun. [noseinair]
Thank you, dear Gothick... [hall2_wink]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 09:06:50 PM »
That....was far f**king out. I never curse (much)...but, that was way cool.

Shatner as Lucy [hall2_kiss] with pearls next to Ricky..... Woa.....flashbackS beaucoup....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:30:38 PM »
If you missed seeing the Shat doing "Rocket Man" at the 1982 World SF Awards presentation -- which was broadcast on plain old network TV, I believe -- then you have not lived. Picture this:

Shatner in a tux, verbally paying tribute to Elton John and Bernie Taupin, a drink in one hand.

Shatner, reciting the first verse of "Rocket Man" respectfully,  rhythmically, melodically.

Shatner, upon reaching the chorus, loosening his bow tie and with subtle body language, adding a bit of alcohol-steeped soul to the presentation, plaintively wailing, "I'm a R O C K I TTTTTTT-MANNNNNN."

A video superimposition of the Shat, bow tie flopping in the breeze, martini sloshing over the tux, body swaying in ways that would make Paula Abdul drool, vocals warbling, "And I think it's gonna be a LONG, LONGGGGG time till touchdown bring me 'round again to find I'm not the MAN they think I am at home, oh, nooo, OOh, noOOOO, OHHHHH, nOOOOO,ooooOOOOO,OOOO!!!!!"

Ooooh, and you think I am joking.

I most certainly am not. ;)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:38:08 AM »
     Now all we need is a video based on Leonard Nimoy's rendition of "Bilbo Baggins, greatest little hobbit of them all".  Does Dr. Demento still broadcast anywhere?  This is where I first heard William Shatner "sing".  My sister's friend has an album of Mae West singing Beatle tunes.  Too bad Shatner and West didn't team up and butcher The Rolling Stones music.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 03:11:03 AM »
Now all we need is a video based on Leonard Nimoy's rendition of "Bilbo Baggins, greatest little hobbit of them all".

Ah, but there IS such a video.   [hall2_smiley]

If you Google it you can easily find it online.  ("Leonard Nimoy" "Bilbo Baggins")  It's scary.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:25:58 PM »
Many thanks, Midnite, for the tip about Nimoy's Baggins serenade.  Another sign that truth is stranger (and sicker) than fiction.

And Mark, thanks for that breathtaking account of "the Shat's" brilliant thespianship in reciting the dramatic lyrics of Bernie Taupin.  Wow.

I missed SO MUCH by living abroad for most of the Eighties!

G.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 03:31:31 PM »
     Thanks, Midnite,  I just got through viewing "Bilbo Baggins".  It looks so much like the commercials in the early seventies.  I never would have thought to look for this. Thanks again [hall2_kiss]
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 05:36:12 PM »
[gramophone] The really fascinating thing to me is that Shatner quickly realized he had no business singing, and only did the one LP, whereas Nimoy did 5 (!!!!!) lps warbling offkey through a combination of originals, spoken word pieces, and "contemporay hits" like "I Walk the Line", "Sunny", "If I Had a Hammer", and Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy" as well as the aformentioned "Bilbo Baggins." Nimoy went on to commit musicaltheatrecide by touring in "Fiddler on the Roof."  These albums are fascinating in the way bad movies like "Plan 9" or "Blood Feast" are. I suppose at some point Nimoy thought he could carry a tune, without a forklift. He's a nice guy, but singing is not high on his talents. The interesting connection to Dark Shadows is that most of Nimoy's music lps were produced by the late Charles Randolph Greane, who had the top 20 pop hit cover of "Quentin's Theme"

musical Michael  [hall_grin]
  who used to play all this kinda stuff on his own radio show... [9126]

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 05:50:46 PM »
Bear in mind the Shat recently released "Has Been," featuring Aimee Mann, Ben Folds, Henry Rollins, Joe Jackson, and others -- mostly to rave reviews. I haven't heard the thing (not too sure I want to), but it's supposedly unlike anything he's ever done before. Some of the critical comments about its depth are quite intriguing.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 04:35:43 AM »
There's a great site where you can see and hear some of those lost "gems" of what James Lileks might call "regrettable records", including the notorious Mae West rock'n'roll riot, Music to Moog by, the Jeannie Riley Harper Valley album with its nearly 3-ft "pinup-style" jacket, someone called "the Mustang" with his mighty disco organ, and dozens more:

http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »
That video almost makes the song listenable. It is so funny. I have to show this one to my husband.

Misa

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 09:08:50 PM »
So I guess I should go remove that cassette tape of "Transformed Man" from the car? I also have Jeanine C. Riley singing "Harper Valley PTA" in there somewhere too (although that's on a mix tape).

I believe it's also on CD. Then of course there is the immortal Golden Throats album. Another must have.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga