Author Topic: Ben  (Read 823 times)

Offline bentex

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Ben
« on: April 11, 2002, 06:47:37 AM »
Ben is my favorite character on the show.

The actor that plays that part does a terrific job, IMHO.

What is his name?

My wife has been a fan of the show since it first arrived on TV in the 60s, and she watching it every morning on the Sci Fi channel.

Tex

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ben
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 07:08:22 AM »
Hello, Tex.  Ben Stokes is played by Thayer David, who is in my opinion the best actor on the show and one of the best actors that I have ever seen.  He plays at least half a dozen other characters through the course of the show and is brilliant in every one.  I hope you stick around to see more of his work.

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 01:01:05 PM »
Hello, Tex.  Ben Stokes is played by Thayer David, who is in my opinion the best actor on the show and one of the best actors that I have ever seen.  He plays at least half a dozen other characters through the course of the show and is brilliant in every one.  I hope you stick around to see more of his work.

ProfStokes

By any chance, is Professor Stokes your  most favorite of all David's characters?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 11:00:37 PM »

By any chance, is Professor Stokes your  most favorite of all David's characters?

That's such a difficult question, VAM.  Thayer played such amazing characters.  I'm particularly enjoying his turn as Ben the second time around.  Thayer makes the character so believable even when the rest of the plot seems skewed.  Count Petofi was another memorable role, and even though Mordecai Grimes appeared in only two episodes, he managed to nail that personality too.  However, Professor Stokes was the character that I admired most throughout the show.  Without going into spoilers, I can only say that the professor projected real class; he was clever, dedicated, intelligent, and strong-willed among so many other things.  Stokes has many wonderful moments on the show, and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing them when 1795 ends.

ProfStokes

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2002, 12:58:24 AM »
I adored Professor Stokes and every other incarnation of Thayer David's on DS.  

Ben is kind, gentle, ill-used by both Angelique and Barnabas, yet he maintains his dignity and concern for the Collins faily.  Even when we see him in 1840, he assists Julia and ends up with an undeserved fate.

The erudite Professor Stokes was a joy to watch, too.  Julia and Barnabas needed someone to help them fight supernatural demons, and Stokes fit the bill nicely.  I often wish they had confided in him about Barnabas' little problem, but I suspect he figured it out on his own, anyway.  

Count Petofi wasn't amongst my favorite characters, but that's because Thayer David brought him to such vivid life.  You had to admire the erudite way the Count lived his life, but he was a flawed magician for sure, and Thayer David portrayed him brilliantly.

Love, Robin