Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #407  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #407
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »
SHADOWGRAM (SG) OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS (DS) NEWS ONLINE UPDATE # 407
SUNDAY, AUGUST 26, 2018

**** SHADOWGRAM PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:
SPECIAL DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL: HALLOWEEN SURPRISE SCREENING & DISCUSSION – DS STARS ATTENDING SCREENING & CELEBRITY AUTOGRAPH SHOW
SATURDAY & SUNDAY, OCTOBER 20-21, 2018 - WESTIN HOTEL at LOS ANGELES (LAX) INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

**** DAVID SELBY PRESENTS LINCOLN SPEECH – WASHINGTON DC – MON., AUG. 27

**** DENISE NICKERSON RECOVERING FROM STROKE

**** JAMES STORM: RODEO PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT– VENICE, CA (LOS ANGELES) – OPENING FRI., DEC. 1

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

SHADOWGRAM PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:
SPECIAL HALLOWEEN DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL SURPRISE SCREENING + DS STAR GUESTS IN ONSTAGE DISCUSSION, AUTOGRAPHS, PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES, & DS MERCHANDISE

---- WESTIN LOS ANGELES AIRPORT (LAX) HOTEL, 5400 CENTURY BLVD., LOS ANGELES, CA 90045 SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20 & SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2018

SHADOWGRAM is excited to premiere-announce a “special Halloween Dark Shadows Surprise” screening and DS celebrity Q&A +autographs on SATURDAY, OCT. 20, 6-9pm, at the Los Angeles (LAX) Airport Westin Hotel. The evening’s screening is presented as a Dark Shadows Festival event in conjunction with the Hollywood Show Celebrity Autograph and Memorabilia Convention that weekend where some of the DS stars and other film/TV celebrities will be appearing during Saturday Oct. 20 and Sunday Oct. 21 to greet fans and sign autographs.

**** DS stars will attend the evening screening and participate in an onstage discussion with audience Q&A afterward, followed by additional autograph signings with the DS guests.

These DS stars will guest at the Hollywood Show celebrity autograph and memorabilia convention at the hotel during the weekend: Sat. 11:00 am – 5:00 pm / Sun. 11:00 am – 4:00 pm:

---- Attending the Hollywood Show both Sat., Oct. 20 and Sun., Oct. 21, are: MITCHELL RYAN (Burke), KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT (Maggie), ROGER DAVIS (Jeff), and LARA PARKER (Angelique). Dozens of other TV/film celebrities also will be at the Hollywood Show over the weekend.

---- DAVID SELBY (Quentin) will attend, only on Saturday, 10-20.

The DS guests will offer personally-signed photos, autographs, fan photo opportunities, books, and more. Also available for purchase: A variety of special and newly-released DS memorabilia.

**** SATURDAY EVENING, OCT. 20: Afternoon DS guests David Selby, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and Roger Davis will be joined by NANCY BARRETT (Carolyn), ROBERT COBERT (Music Composer), JERRY LACY (Trask), JAMES STORM (Gerard), and CHRIS PENNOCK (Jeb) for the special Halloween Dark Shadows Surprise screening.

The screening/Q&A will be held in the second floor Westin Hotel Theatre at 6:00pm. Our DS guests will participate in a group discussion onstage after the screening and all attendees will receive a complimentary DS souvenir.

Seating is by general admission. The theatre will open at 5:00 pm for early seating. The screening will start at 6:00 pm and will be followed by an onstage discussion/Q&A with the stars. An autograph signing will be held after the screening and discussion, at approximately 8pm, with an end time of 9:00 pm.

**** IMPORTANT NOTE: Fans who ONLY wish to attend the 6:00 pm-9:00 pm DS screening/discussion and autograph session may pay $10 by sending advance payment, by check or money order, payable to Dark Shadows. Please send to Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.
To pay $10 per person via PayPal through: Kathleener@aol.com
**** Please include each full name(s) for whoever you are paying, plus your complete email address, in order to receive your receipt by email.
For those who don’t attend the daytime autograph show on the first floor, Registration to attend the Saturday evening screening/discussion will begin upstairs on the second floor, outside the theatre, at 4:00 pm.

ALL OTHER TICKET PURCHASES TO ATTEND THE HOLLYWOOD SHOW DURING THE DAY ON SAT., OCT 20, AND/OR SUN., OCT 21, MUST BE PAID AT THE HOLLYWOOD SHOW TABLE AT THE DOOR OR IN ADVANCE FROM THE HOLLYWOOD SHOW WEBSITE (See details below).

Homepage: http://hollywoodshow.com/upcoming_shows.php / (818) 533-8204

Hollywood Show Info, including other celebrity guests: (note: Dark Shadows Guests & Event Details to be posted at the following Hollywood Show homepage/website by Mon., Aug. 27)

---- Order tickets: http://hollywoodshow.com/store/default/tickets.html

---- Pick up tickets with valid ID at the event Registration / Will Call table ONLY.

---- Ticket Prices:

*SAT. 10-20: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (1-Day Pass): $25 (INCLUDES ADMISSION TO 6:00 – 9:00 pm DS SCREENING)

*SUN. 10-21: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm / *2-Day Pass: $40 (INCLUDES ADMISSION TO 6:00 -9:00 pm DS SCREENING)

---- IMPORTANT NOTE: Children age 10 and under: FREE

---- Parking: $12 + tax per day with validation at Hollywood Show Front Desk or hotel restaurant/bars

---- Los Angeles Westin International (LAX) Airport Hotel - 5400 Century Blvd. - Los Angeles, CA 90045

**** DAVID SELBY PRESENTS LINCOLN SPEECH IN WASHINGTON DC, THIS MONDAY, AUG. 27

DAVID (Quentin) will present Abraham Lincoln’s 2nd Inaugural Address Mon., Aug. 27, as part of the Presidential Sites Summit.

Publicity: “The White House Historical Association, a private non-profit educational organization founded by First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy in 1961, will host the Presidential Sites Summit at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel in Washington, DC on August 27-30, 2018. The summit, which is held every 2 years, brings together leaders from presidential libraries, historic homes, and museums to share ideas and insights about their management and outreach.

“The summit's opening ceremony, ‘A Monumental Celebration,’ will take place at the Lincoln Memorial on Mon., Aug. 27, from 7:00 -8:00 pm. David Selby will appear on behalf of Ford's Theatre to deliver Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural address. ‘A Monumental Celebration’ is a free event and is open to the public.”

Since a young age, David has explored Abraham Lincoln’s life and legacy, participating in a range of special events, panel discussions, historical reviews, performances, and more. He’s portrayed Lincoln in numerous stage and TV projects over the past five decades. David wrote and starred in his own intriguing play and subsequent novel about the President and a modern-day longtime Park Service worker at the Lincoln Memorial. On 2-11-2009, for the 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth, he portrayed the President in the play “The Heavens Are Hung in Black” at Ford’s Theatre in Washington DC, attended by President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. He presented speech excerpts and more at Ford’s Theater 4-14/15, 2015, the national commemoration of the 150th anniversary of Lincoln’s assassination.

DAVID guested as “Josef Desjardins” 8-1-18 on Hulu’s new fantasy/mystery/horror series CASTLE ROCK in “The Box,” (Episode 4 Season 1). The acclaimed series is set in Stephen King’s eerily complex Maine town and incorporates many of the literary elements found in his varied novels and short stories.

Hulu description: CASTLE ROCK: “A psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King multiverse, Castle Rock combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling of King’s best-loved works, weaving an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland. The fictional Maine town of Castle Rock has figured prominently in King’s literary career: Cujo, The Dark Half, IT and Needful Things, as well as novella The Body. Numerous short stories such as Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption are either set there or contain references to Castle Rock. This is an original suspense/thriller – a first-of-its-kind reimagining that explores the themes and worlds uniting the entire King canon, while brushing up against some of his most iconic and beloved stories.”

For series details and how to watch the episodes online:

https://www.hulu.com/…/castle-rock-b11816c9-9e35-44f3-bf04-…

---- David’s official website: http://davidselby.com/news.htm

**** DENISE NICKERSON RECOVERING AFTER SUFFERING STROKE

DENISE (Amy, Nora) suffered a stroke in late June. She was hospitalized in the Intensive Care Unit for over a month, undergoing several surgeries and special procedures to stabilize her critical condition. Thankfully, Denise returned home Aug. 3. Her son Josh and his wife Jasmine assist with her care and therapy. Jasmine left her job in July to be home with Denise.

Jasmine shares personal updates through their Facebook page. Fans can share good wishes and words of support: https://www.facebook.com/SupportForJazzyandJoshNickerson/

Jasmine 8-22: “It's been hard adjusting to things this way now. We're all doing so much better, though…. Denise is cooperating with all of her therapists and doing more and working harder each time. We've fallen into a good routine and schedule with her. She's resting and getting stronger each day…. It’s nice to have some peace and normalcy.”

Encouraged by support and suggestions from friends and family, they appreciate PayPal donations of any kind to help with ongoing expenses. Fans who would like to help may do so at:
https://www.paypal.me/JazzyNickerson

**** JAMES STORM EXHIBIT: AMAZING PHOTOS OF “AMERICAN COWBOYS & COWGIRLS” 12-1-18

For years, JIM (Gerard) has proven to be a talented, perceptive photographer of people, animals, landscapes, nature, structures – and life itself. His keen eye and instinctive camera skills are particularly “focused” on a vast range of subjects. He captures the worlds of natural beauty, wildlife, history, human emotions and their interactions with the land, native peoples, and the varied rugged populations of the northern American Midwest and Central Plains.

His photo exhibit – “A Behind the Scenes Look at the American Cowboy / Cowgirl” – highlights the people, animals, environment, events, emotions, and power of the American Rodeo and the lives and traditions of all involved.

Jim’s photography exhibit will be at the Beyond Baroque Gallery in Venice, (Los Angeles), CA. The nearby distinctive Venice Beach (Pacific Ocean) is famed for its unique shops, restaurants, interesting ocean and shoreline views, local color, and ever-changing unusual sights.

Beyond Baroque Homepage: www.beyondbaroque.org/
681 N. Venice Blvd. Venice, CA 90291 – 310-822-2006

Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center Publicity: Now celebrating its 50th anniversary, it’s “a place dedicated to the possibilities of language (and) to expanding the public's knowledge of poetry, literature and art through cultural events and community interaction…. (It) offers a wide variety of workshops, readings, performances, art exhibits, community events and meetings…. Beyond Baroque is one of the United States' leading independent Literary / Arts Centers…. Beyond Baroque programming is supported by Memberships, Grants, and Corporate and Private Donations.”

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: ShadowGram Update #407
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
There is an update regarding David Selby's participation in the October event on his Facebook page and official web site. He is only attending the screening event. He will not be participating in The Hollywood Show itself.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
what is known about what is being "screened"? i understand it's a "documentary" of some sort?

from what i'm hearing MPI did a series of new interviews with the cast that sounds suspiciously like the old DVD/VHS commentaries repackaged. i think we've all heard the same yarns.

i think it would be interesting to explore the fandom and culture around it. "we" are just as relevant to it's continuation than anyone else.

what's the word on the film?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »
According to Chris Pennock and related in the topic about him currently below, the documentary is called Master of Shadows and is mostly about DC rather than DS. Who knows? But time will certainly tell...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
A documentary about DC... because we ALL KNOW that DC was what made DS great. LOL

I keep thinking of how long Barnabas would have lasted if Bert Convy had been cast, as was DC's intention. I doubt the storyline would have run the full 13 weeks.

I thought that a "50th anniversary" documentary had been shot, or was going to be shot--presumably whatever I read about that was really in reference to the DC show. He was a significant force in the industry--Trilogy of Terror and Winds of War will no doubt be given lots of airtime, along of course with DS fan fave Night Stalker.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
What's odd is that back in '16 we were certainly led to believe that a 50th Anniversary DS documentary had already been shot. It was even speculated by ShadowGram that a teaser trailer for the documentary might have been shown at the DARK SHADOWS 50TH ANNIVERSARY ENCORE EVENT: “HALLOWEEN IN HOLLYWOOD” that October - however, supposedly due to "a delivery error," the teaser trailer for the "DS documentary film" could not be shown. But SG reassured us that they would "provide and update definite information on this exciting full-length feature project" and "very soon" - though that info never came. Now who knows if that was because what was originally intended turned into a DC documentary rather one focused on DS? At this point it would seem we only have Pennock's claim that will be the case with the documentary to be shown at the "special Halloween Dark Shadows Surprise" screening at the Hollywood Show Celebrity Autograph and Memorabilia Convention. But why would his info be wrong?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »
Gothick, perhaps the 50th anniversary documentary that you referred to has gone the way of the Decades show that Kathryn, Lara and David filmed with Herbie Pilato about two years ago now. And, if Decades is indeed going the way of the dinosaur, that show may never be seen.
And it's not like DS has had such a great track record with documentaries anyway. I remember back in the late 1990's, Barbara Steele was supposed to be putting together a documentary on fans. She interviewed the participants in the costume gala in NY that year. But I think that she abandoned the project some time ago.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »
(As far as Decades goes, it seems like they're searching for new affiliates to replace the ones they lost. Last weekend they kept running an ad telling viewers that if Decades was replaced by Smart TV in their area to go to the Decades Web site to check if they had a new home in the area. A check of the Web site at the moment merely says "Coming Soon" for most of the areas where Smart TV replaced Decades...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
You know what's also odd? I thought that last October, when MPI's DS streaming service was announced, the press release also mentioned a DS documentary, and indeed it did:

"Subscribers also will get a first look at the DARK SHADOWS feature-length documentary due out in 2018."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 05:22:10 PM »
Uncle Roger, are you referencing the infamous Sci Fi channel documentary about the fandom? I seem to recall it was actually screened at one of the Festival banquets. The reports I remember, which were kept vague, made the whole thing sound like a hoot and an extraordinary disaster. There was that one fan who slept in a coffin that they of course had to interview for it.

Now I'm thinking of the scene where Mrs Johnson tells a secretly smirking Nicholas Blair about the curse on the Collins family... (and I'm missing Clarice and Humbert all over again). My beloved Jacqueline Pearce passed away yesterday...

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »
Actually, Gothick, that was another illfated documentary! It was a colossally stupid idea to screen it at a festival banquet. As I recall, John Karlen walked out on it. And TLATKLS, who is usually quite the DS cheerleader, actually got up and addressed the banquet, criticizing people for spreading stories about people that they were never on the show with.

Mr. Pierson had to eat a substantial amount of crow afterwards.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »
For a brief period earlier this year, the trailer for Master of Dark Shadows was available to view on YouTube.  I saw it once, and it looked like a very professional product!  The credits even showed a narrator (IIRC, Ian McShane).  Most of the clips were about DS or showed DS stars, although I saw a couple of faces I didn't recognize in the mix.  I presume much of the doc will focus on the series, since that seems to be what Curtis remains best known for.

The documentary that played at the 2002 banquet was part of the short-lived Sci-Fi Channel series, "Sciography," of which two episodes aired in the summer of 2000 (for "Quantum Leap" and "Battlestar Galactica").  I saw the QL episode and thought it was fantastic, a real valentine to the show and the fans.  When it was announced DS would also be featured, I was very excited, but the ep never materialized.  In the meantime, Sci-Fi changed executives, and the incoming brass was more interested in making "Sciography" a "True Hollywood Story" clone that sensationalized each series.  The DS feature was very tabloidy and the actors resented the final product, which was much different from what they had been led to believe the show would be when they agreed to participate.  Per KLS, Robert Cobert rescinded his permission for the show to use his music, and the "Sciography" ep was left to wither in the vault, save for that one showing. 

ProfStokes

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »
For a brief period earlier this year, the trailer for Master of Dark Shadows was available to view on YouTube.

I presume that must have been the same as what I noticed back in April was being heralded on MPI's streaming Web site as an "Exclusive first look at the upcoming Dark Shadows feature documentary". I don't subscribe to the service, so I've never seen it. However, soon after I posted about it, Gothick posted that by the time he'd read about how it was also available on YouTube, it had already been taken down.

Though the good thing to keep in mind here is how you say:

Most of the clips were about DS or showed DS stars

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
As reported on his web site and social media accounts, David Selby no longer plans to attend the Dark Shadows screening on Oct. 20.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 07:09:47 AM »
Quote from: Shadowgram
**** IMPORTANT NOTE: Fans who ONLY wish to attend the 6:00 pm-9:00 pm DS screening/discussion and autograph session may pay $10 by sending advance payment, by check or money order, payable to Dark Shadows. Please send to Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.
To pay $10 per person via PayPal through: Kathleener@aol.com
**** Please include each full name(s) for whoever you are paying, plus your complete email address, in order to receive your receipt by email.

Fans ARE able to attend only the screening, and advance payment can also be made through the Hollywood Show website, with tickets held at Will Call (bring ID!).

*SAT. 10-20: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (1-Day Pass): $25 (INCLUDES ADMISSION TO 6:00 – 9:00 pm DS SCREENING)

*SUN. 10-21: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm / *2-Day Pass: $40 (INCLUDES ADMISSION TO 6:00 -9:00 pm DS SCREENING)

THIS IS NOT CORRECT.  According to the Hollywood Show Facebook page, attendance to the screening costs "an extra $10".