Author Topic: COWSILLS brother missing in New Orleans  (Read 2659 times)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
COWSILLS brother missing in New Orleans
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:57:53 AM »
If this is an  inappropriate post, delete with my understanding.

Anyway, one of the group The Cowsills, Barry Cowsill, was lost in the New Orleans hurricane Katrina.  He phoned his sister Susan twice, and hasn't been heard from since.  Susan also lived in New Orleans, and evacuated safely with her husband and children.

The reason I'm posting this here, is that everyone is exhausting every possible idea.  I know the fans of the original DS would be aware of The Cowsills. 

The family believes Barry may still be in the New Orleans area.  His picture and additional information can be found at the website "cowsill.com." 

It's possible someone somewhere has seen him ... working in a hospital or center (he could have been evacuated anywhere in the country, though). 

There have been media spots on ET and Showbiz Headline News.  Today, it made AOL.  There are some celebrities and such helping out ... but it's very frustrating.  If anyone has any inkling of where he might be... It's a longshot, I know...

To return to an attempt to make this more "on topic," I last saw Barry at a benefit for Bill Cowsill (who has been in poor health), which was introduced by Shirley Jones.  Jim P. (the DS Festival leader and producer) was in attendance. 

I enjoyed talking with him about the 2004 DS pilot, and the possibility of having a DS festival in Hollywood.  I don't know if he reads this group, but I recalled this as being the most official "looking" of all I visited. 

I'm sure many Dark Shadows fans are familiar with The Cowsills. Members of the Cowsills have stated they enjoyed DS and one felt the show's media brought positive attention to their group. The group and TV show were popular during the same era... 1966-1971.  They both "resided" in Newport, Rhode Island, etc.

If anyone has any idea where Barry Cowsill is, has seen him, or knows how to find him...

http://cowsill.com/cowsills/barrypress-2005sep.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: COWSILLS brother missing in New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 04:34:45 AM »
It's nice to see you again, wes.  Your effort to relate this to DS and its fans is much appreciated.  I urge others to please do the same if responding.  Thanks!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 08:42:17 PM »
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only "ancient blood" fan (as those of us who watched DS during its original broadcast are sometimes known) to recall vividly an encounter between Mama Cowsill and Jonathan Frid on the briefly popular evening series The Generation Gap. (An episode of this program featuring David Henesy and his Mom was shown at a DS Festival a few years back.)  Frid appeared in full Barnabas regalia surrounded by masses of dry-ice induced "ground fog" in a stunt on the show. Mama C correctly identified him as Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows.  I remember noting her New England accent and being charmed.

I hope Barry shows up soon.  If it's any consolation, just last week I saw a friend of mine who had moved to NOLA and just returned to Mass.  He'd stayed on 9 days after the Katrina disaster in an apartment he said was on the edge of the French Quarter.

G.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 03:49:18 AM »
That's an interesting story about Barbara Cowsill & Jonathan Frid... I don't think the kids remember it, so I'll mention it, maybe...  Of course, Barbara would know who Jonathan Frid was; given their era of fame, I would not have doubted that.

Her (Mother Cowsill) collection of memorabillia (no doubt including some DS stuff) was handed down to daughter Susan.  Susan lost everything in the Katrina flood... she was the keeper of all that nostalgic stuff.  It's all gone. 

But, the one thing they want is the missing brother Barry.  He survived much the same way as the survivor "gothick" mentioned.  He stayed in a wherehouse during the flood.  He had to leave when his supplies ran out... he went to the convention center (they think). He called twice and said it was getting dangerous... looting and shooting.  Then, no more word...

They are looking to up the attention the story is receiving... there are some media people interested.

I did see a bit of that show "The Generation Gap" at one of the DC conventions in recent years... not the last one, but a few years ago.  One of the Cowsills (I think it was Bob) said he appeared on that show with Mother Barbara.  If anyone knows, was David Henesy or Jonathan Frid on that episode?  I don't remember that... I bet they all might have been on that show two or three times.  They could have taped a bunch of them to air at different times, too.  I don't remember the show at all, other than seeing a clip at the DS con.  The game show network should run something like that... that would be fun to watch.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only "ancient blood" fan (as those of us who watched DS during its original broadcast are sometimes known) to recall vividly an encounter between Mama Cowsill and Jonathan Frid on the briefly popular evening series The Generation Gap. (An episode of this program featuring David Henesy and his Mom was shown at a DS Festival a few years back.)  Frid appeared in full Barnabas regalia surrounded by masses of dry-ice induced "ground fog" in a stunt on the show. Mama C correctly identified him as Barnabas Collins from Dark Shadows.  I remember noting her New England accent and being charmed.

Gothick,

I saw Frid's appearance on The Generation Gap for the first time during this year's Festival banquet.  There was also a really silly part during which he asked the show's host what his blood type was, the latter answered "Type O," and Barnabas reacted with disappointment.   [idontknow]

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:44:06 PM »
Sorry to hear this terrible news. The Cowsills, Dark Shadows, GI Joe Astronaut, Planet of the Apes, Get Smart, Bewitched, Space Food Stix, The Archies etc are all part of that wonderful weave that was the late '60s. I'm always happy to have been a kid growing up then. I have 3 Cowsills CDs actually.  [gramophone]
I hope for the best.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 06:12:03 PM »
OT - LA Times obituary

Barry Cowsill, 51; Pop Group Member an Apparent Katrina Victim

[Free] registration may be required to access the article.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:50:09 PM »
Sorry to hear this terrible news. The Cowsills, Dark Shadows, GI Joe Astronaut, Planet of the Apes, Get Smart, Bewitched, Space Food Stix, The Archies etc are all part of that wonderful weave that was the late '60s. I'm always happy to have been a kid growing up then. I have 3 Cowsills CDs actually.  [gramophone]
I hope for the best.

That Girl also! along with Maggie Evans i wanted to be Anne Marie.I hope they find him. they were at fenway park during the WS
in 2004 i wish the best for the family

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 09:17:33 PM »
Midnite, many thanks for posting that link.  I hadn't heard they had found him.  How sad.  I was shocked to learn that Mom Cowsill died at such a young age--the same year as Grayson, too!

For those who do not know, The Cowsills were the inspiration for the TV series, The Partridge Family.  I thought one of their early hits from 1967, some complicated title about the rain, the park and you, was really quite a decent record--tuneful and beautifully produced.  And who can forget their chart-topping cover of "Hair" from '69?  Those were the days...

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 11:01:45 PM »
And who can forget their chart-topping cover of "Hair" from '69? 

Not me!  I still have the 45.

[thumb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 12:23:23 AM »
And their song "Indian Lake" - "...Indian Lake is a scene you should make with your little ones..."

Got that 45 the same summer I started watching DARK SHADOWS ('68). R.I.P., Barry Cowsill.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 01:19:25 AM »
Very sad.  Thanks for posting the link Midnite.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 02:50:28 AM »
OT, but related to this thread...

The lead singer of The Cowsills has also died.  To read the AP article:  http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4523001