Author Topic: Tapes Or DVD?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
Tapes Or DVD?
« on: April 10, 2002, 10:58:42 PM »
I have been collecting the videos on tapes on and off since 1996.  I choose not to have cable ( one less bill), and so I dont get the Sci-Fi.  Recently, I came across the DVD Box set on Amazon.  With spark my interest again in DS.  Now I want to watch to buy the tapes but I know the DVD's are coming out.  Most of my collection is before J. Frid and before the 1796 storyline.  So I dont know what to do, Should I wait or buy them.

jon
?!?
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Tapes Or DVD?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 01:12:32 AM »
 Most of my collection is before J. Frid and before the 1796 storyline.  So I dont know what to do, Should I wait or buy them.

jon
?!?

I would say wait for the DVDs. Video tapes deteriorate after a period of time. The money you invest will be lost.

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 01:28:40 AM »
yeah, but I cant wait. (Lol)

because I know I will buy the DVD either way.

jon

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 02:02:19 AM »

I would say wait for the DVDs. Video tapes deteriorate after a period of time. The money you invest will be lost.

I've got tapes from the late 80s that still work perfectly well.  It all depends how you store them, quality of the video tape, and what speed they were recorded at.  

In terms of storage, DVDs are going to be more practical, and yes, they will (or should be) a higher quality.  

No matter what you do, some new technology will come along to make your investment obsolete,  ;)

Luciaphil, who isn't buying a DVD player until they make 'em so you can record.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 10:56:30 PM »
Well spoken, Luciaphil!  I have a few friends who are absolutely ga-ga over DVDs.  While I enjoy going over to their homes for DVD parties, I also have no intention of blowing the cash on yet another gizmo at this stage of the game.

Gambit, if you don't already have the MPI tapes, one thing that might make you want to hold out for DVDs (especially if you enjoy that format more than VHS) is that there are scheduled to be some "extras," at least with the first set of discs.  Also, supposedly MPI has paid for new prints to be made for the DVDs--I'll believe it when/if I see it!!

Happy viewing,

Gothick

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2002, 11:11:35 PM »
Well I feel like I am out of the loop, because you guys get to watch the shows and talk about them.... Its kinda of like I want to catch up.

Does anyone know if they are going to release the DVD's before J. Frid?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2002, 11:22:52 PM »
Well, Gambit (sorry, I love that name--ever watch The New Avengers from the 70s??),

There's the rub--it is hard to say how quickly MPI will release further DVD sets after the first one.  One would think monthly, but it is unwise to assume anything about MPI's schedule.

I'm sure, however, that if they release the 1966/67 pre Barnabas episodes on DVD, it won't be until AFTER they have finished the rest of the series from Barnabas onward.  When they first started issuing the series on VHS, it was not at all clear that they would do the whole thing; they were looking at sales figures, or so I have been told.  They may wait to see what the figures are like for sales on the first DVD set before they make a decision about continuing.

Steve

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2002, 11:37:57 PM »
No actually I never got into the Avengers.

However, my name is from a comic book character in the X-Men comics.....he is a character from Bayou.

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2002, 11:53:02 PM »
According to Amazon.com, the second DVD set is scheduled for release on July 30th.

Of course, the Dark Shadows Memories DVD was scheduled for release back in February, and noone seems to know when it will finally appear.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2002, 12:50:20 AM »
I bought all of the MPI Dark Shadows videos 4 years ago. I store each tape in a plastic storage case. It protects the tape and its cover. I'm in no rush to buy a DVD player. As long as my VCRs still work, they're all I need for now. I also figure it will be a few years until the whole Dark Shadows series is put on DVD. As far as whatever "extras" are included, that's no big concern for me. I know there won't be an interview of Craig Slocum.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2002, 12:57:25 AM »
I love the little extras of info, they put on DVD's.  That is my favorite part about watching a DVD.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2002, 02:35:52 AM »

Luciaphil, who isn't buying a DVD player until they make 'em so you can record.

I'm another holdout on the DVD thing. I have no trouble with my high-quality tapes and no desire to add one more machine to my already crowded shelves/entertainment center.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2002, 02:38:52 AM »
Honestly - the cheapest thing to do is go ahead and sign up for cable - most cable companies give you a free hookup for new service and possibly a free month at the beginning - then tape the eps yourself until you have the collection. Then you can cancel your cable subscription.  ;D

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2002, 02:58:59 AM »
Thats very true,

What about the editing, So does Sci-Fi show the whole show or some parts edit due to new commerical time.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2002, 03:04:33 AM »
Thats very true,

What about the editing, So does Sci-Fi show the whole show or some parts edit due to new commerical time.

There has been some speculation that the Sci Fi channel may have trimmed a few scenes here and there for extra commercial time, but this accusation has never been verified to my knowledge by someone with an MPI tape. It's more likely the editing was done during the original run, and poorly so as to make it more noticeable.