Author Topic: "Barnabas" in Geico commercial  (Read 883 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
"Barnabas" in Geico commercial
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »
Has anyone seen the latest Geico commercial?  There are actors on stage and a presumably 19th century audience.  An audience member (supposed to be Alexander Graham Bell!!) answers a cellphone a couple of times and talks so loudly that it disturbs the play.

The play has a woman in a hot air balloon about to take off and she’s trying to get the man on the ground to join her.  The first thing one hears is the woman calling him “Barnabas”!!!!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: "Barnabas" in Geico commercial
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
I haven't seen that one yet...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
MB, it'll make you do a double take when you hear it!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
The reason I probably haven't seen it is that I tend to DVR everything I watch and then fast forward through the commercials as I watch. I'm going to have to pay attention as things go by and look for the things Josette described...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 05:57:52 PM »
Well, the good news is that in the past two days I've caught two Geico ads that I've never seen before. But the bad news is that neither was the one Josette describes here.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 12:48:57 AM »
I've seen it now on TV several times.  It's absolutely hysterical.  Set in the late 19th century during a theater performance, A.G. Bell is sitting in a box with his invention in front of him when it rings loudly and he answers it loudly, saying "Ah-hoy, ah-hoy" (which is historically accurate because he said that's how people should answer his invention rather than with today's conventual "hello").  He says the caller has the wrong number; his is "one" - the caller must want "two."  After the distracted performers and audience return their attention to the play, it rings again and he loudly answers again disrupting everything.  It's a take-off on today's totally rude cellphone users. 

It's as funny as the Geico commercial spoofing horror slasher films where the victims decide not to take off in  an already operating car and decide to hide in a storage-house full of chain saws (they decide not to hide in a cellar or attic where they will equally be trapped) while the killer, confused over their stupidity, approaches them.  The final scene has the killer rev up his chainsaw as one of the victims screams:  "Head for the cemetery!"

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
I was beginning to despair that I was never going to see the "Barnabas" Geico ad (especially after catching a third ad that wasn't it) - but thanks to Zachary Quinto I saw it today. Why thanks to Zachary Quinto? Well, I've been a huge fan of his ever since Heroes, so I try to catch him whenever he's on, and last night I DVR'd his latest appearance on The Tonight Show and lo and behold, while just watching the recording and fast forwarding through the commercials, I spotted the lady in the balloon and then went back to watch it. Quite a hoot to hear the name Barnabas. And I can only imagine it would have been a bigger hoot if I'd caught the ad without knowing the name was to come. But then chances are, because I almost always fast forward commercials, I might never have caught the ad on my own. So thanks to everyone who posted about the ad - and big thanks to Josette for starting the topic in the first place.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
Glad you finally caught it!  It was on last night's "Elementary," but my computer wasn't working last night, so I couldn't mention it.  When I first saw that you had posted, I guessed that you had found it there!  I get it a lot on CNN and sometimes elsewhere, and it's still a bit startling to hear that name.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »
Now I can look forward to catching it during Elementary too.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
By the way, after Gerard's more detailed description (I love the my number is 1, you must want 2!!!), I looked at it more closely.  I had originally said a cell phone, as I assumed that's what it was despite the 19th century setting, but then I saw that it really was an old-time type of phone.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »
It's hysterically funny that the phone is sitting in the chair next to him. Whoever came up with the concept for the ad should get a promotion!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
I keep forgetting to mention that I went to the movies the other day and what commercial played before the coming attractions? This one!