Author Topic: Semi Off Topic: Marion Ross  (Read 558 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Semi Off Topic: Marion Ross
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »
I just finished reading Marion Ross' autobiography, My Days, Happy and Otherwise. Ross has had a long career and an interesting life but her DS connections are what is pertinent here. She mentions appearing in the stage production of Arsenic and Old Lace but does not mention Jonathan Frid or any of the other actors.
She does, however, devote an entire chapter to her long term companion, Paul Michael. She mentions a lot of his stage work,Zorba, Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof and a role opposite Judy Holliday in Bells Are Ringing. But the only television part she mentions by name is his appearance as King Johnny Romano on DS.
Their romance was unexpected but sweet. Just a nice couple who found true love after sixty.
And the rest of the book is interesting too!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Off Topic: Marion Ross
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:21 AM »
That sounds like a lovely book. I never watched Happy Days so I mainly remember Marion Ross as the nemesis of "Hekatite" Witch Vivian in the (in)famous 1981 TV movie, MIDNIGHT OFFERINGS--which I never saw until sometime around 2006. It has since become a cult favorite and I've turned many of my friends onto the film. (It's on the Tube of You.)

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:37:40 AM »
Her career started a lot earlier than I realized. She was under contract to Paramount and appeared in some iconic films such as Sabrina, The Glenn Miller Story and Teacher's Pet.
There's a bit of dish when she talks about being cast in a TV adaptation of Blithe Spirit that starred the author Noel Coward. Marion adored Coward and one of her other costars Lauren Bacall and her husband Humphrey  Bogart. But she had no use whatsoever for the big name in the cast, Claudette Colbert. By the time I reached that part of the book, I knew enough about Marion (a very gracious and upbeat lady) to think that if Marion Ross didn't like someone, that person must be pretty despicable.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
She also guest-starred on The Brady Bunch as Carol Brady's daughters' physician.

Gerard