Author Topic: Episode 849  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Episode 849
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:07:30 PM »
Among the episodes featured for the 9/25 screen captures is episode 849.  I've always thought that was one of the best written, directed, and acted episodes of Dark Shadows.  For once, everything works really well, and the use of cuts is handled particularly smoothly.

Just one of those days when you look at the show and think "what a phenomenal achievement!"

G.

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 849
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 06:34:10 PM »
I quite agree.  This is one of those episodes in the "apogee" of Dark Shadows occurring at the tail end of 1897:  this is defnitely part of the artistic height of the show, IMO.  Everything is top notch.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 02:19:46 AM »
If anyone has a talent for encapsulating an episode in a sentence or so, this would be appreciated, for those of us who will never have that encyclopaedic a knowledge of the series, where we know which one it is by number alone.   (Over a thousand after all.   I doubt I'll ever have a thousand of anything memorized.    Names, maybe, not numbers.)    Mention one event briefly and I'll probably get it, though.   I'd just like to be able to join in.    Or not.   Just a thought.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 04:10:52 AM »
Among the episodes featured for the 9/25 screen captures is episode 849.

MagnusTrask, I'm sure most of us have no idea which episodes are which by number, and even those posting by number have probably looked it up somewhere!

Notice the quote above with which Gothick started this thread.  It refers to the series of pictures on the home page and each episode is identified by number there.  If it's the same day, you can check those pictures to see which one it is and also use the link to Robservations to get the fulll summary.

Of course, if you come by a few days later, it would be a bit harder, but I suppose you could use the episode number to locate the appropriate Robservation.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 04:22:37 AM »
The four screen captures from the ep and their captions:

[spoiler]Petofi denies having ever seen the music box.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Aristede tries to ingratiate himself back into Petofi's good graces.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Petofi realizes Julia cannot die.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]After Beth has a vision of Quentin in 1969, Petofi realize that Quentin exists in that time.[/spoiler]
Of course, if you come by a few days later, it would be a bit harder, but I suppose you could use the episode number to locate the appropriate Robservation.

The easiest way to find an episode by number is to go to the Robservations board and then enter the episode number in the search box, which is located the header in the bloodred theme:
and above the topics listing in Variations on Blue:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »
MB luv, thanks so much for posting those images again.  I just love all of them, but to my taste, the one of Thayer and Grayson takes the palm--those two together on screen are magic!

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 10:53:56 PM »
Who's the [size=8]COOOOOLEST!![/size][/b] Benefactor??

Why of course OUR Mysterious Benefactor.

I'm so in awe of your 'here' in red tags MB!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:59:27 AM »
navigating the 'robservations' has been a mystery to me since day one.
for instance i just did what mysterious recommended to find the robservation for ep.849.i entered 'episode 849' in the search box and a link to the robservation popped up.then i tried episode one and episode 200 and the link didn't pop up but several links to different robservations that simply included those numbers somewhere but not the episode itself.other times i've gotten the reply "no matches found" or something to that effect.

couldn't a box be set up where one just enters the episode number and the robservation for that number episode pops up(same for the 'idle thoughts')?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 02:54:53 AM »
navigating the 'robservations' has been a mystery to me since day one.
for instance i just did what mysterious recommended to find the robservation for ep.849.i entered 'episode 849' in the search box and a link to the robservation popped up.then i tried episode one and episode 200 and the link didn't pop up but several links to different robservations that simply included those numbers somewhere but not the episode itself.other times i've gotten the reply "no matches found" or something to that effect.

couldn't a box be set up where one just enters the episode number and the robservation for that number episode pops up(same for the 'idle thoughts')?

Well, you could try searching for #X or "#X" and leave out episode because the latter may not appear in the topic.  Also, please be aware that Robservations not yet covered by MB's daily montage series may not be on the boards yet.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 03:23:03 AM »
i tried episode one and episode 200 and the link didn't pop up but several links to different robservations that simply included those numbers somewhere but not the episode itself.other times i've gotten the reply "no matches found" or something to that effect.

please be aware that Robservations not yet covered by MB's daily montage series may not be on the boards yet.

Yes. Currently Eps #75 through #261and #335 through #379 have yet to be added back to the Robservations board. So, for example, entering "200" into the search box will currently only bring up Robservations that merely contain the number 200 somewhere within the text but not Ep #200. And if a number doesn't appear within any Robservations, the results of a search will simply say "No results found."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »
Thanks MB.    I've wanted to know where to go for screen captures, plus more detailed photos that could be used for drawings.   Is there a part of the site where drawings might be posted?   It'd give me incentive to do one.

At DS Inn someone claimed all fans would probably have the numbers memorized, so I was bracing myself for feeling small from derision.   Awkward sentence on my part, but I'm sticking with it I guess.

In Petofi/Julia photo, he's actually looking less than confident when using the hand, or attempting to.   That's nice to see.    She's cool as a proto-pickle.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »
Is there a part of the site where drawings might be posted?   It'd give me incentive to do one.

If a drawing is directly related to an actual DS storyline or it's a parody of an actual storyline, it can be posted here on Current Talk. If it's a DS fantasy moment, as in something that never actually took place and is purely from your imagination, then it can be shared on the Calendar Events / Announcenments board.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 11:06:02 PM »
Is this post or pre Quentin takeover? Looks like late 1897 though before Juila goes back to her own time.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 11:10:32 PM »
Yes. Currently Eps #75 through #261and #335 through #379 have yet to be added back to the Robservations board.

It figures - you made a comment on today's episode 337 and I wanted to check the dialogue.  Naturallly, that's one of the unavailable ones!! [hall2_rolleyes]
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 03:05:32 AM »
The Robservations for Ep #337 has been restored, but the scene in question is paraphrased.