Author Topic: The month prior to 1795  (Read 666 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The month prior to 1795
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:52:38 PM »
Have any of you noticed that after Burke Devlin's last episode, for the next month or so, there are mainly women on the show?  Except for Barnabas of course, and brief appearances of Roger & Joe, and much later Tony Peterson, all the male characters have been written off?

It's like they had no idea where to take the storyline and let the show drift.  They are lucky the ratings still held off by the start of 1795.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The month prior to 1795
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »
I wonder if some of the menfolk wanted some extended time off before starting what they considered would be an arduous story arc.  They had to develop new characters, weary uncomfortable period costumes, changed sets, etc.  I may be suffering from FDSMS, but wasn't TLATKLS also pretty much gone during that last month as well?  Seems like she took a break, too.  And Nancy Barrett didn't show up, I think, until several weeks into 1795.  Maybe they just needed a break.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The month prior to 1795
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »
as 67 wound down and across 68 the original male characters were systematically phased out. contracts expired and run-of-the-mill barflies and fishermen were passe. enter an ever changing cast spooks and ghouls.

the female cast had a better run. and as a core member of the Collins family Roger enjoyed a bit more job security than his male costars (although the "business trips to Boston" began to occur with greater and greater frequency).

but just in terms of the run up to 1795 most of the characters were missing for those final weeks (Vicki and David take a "trip to Boston") and it largely revolved around Barnabas, Julia and Carolyn. my impression of it was the the cast was getting acquainted with their new characters. hair and makeup tests were being done and costumes fitted.

this moment was "ground zero" for the concept of time travel and multiple characterizations (which of course later occurs in constant rotation) and i think everyone was getting their bearings.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.