Author Topic: the "language" of d.s.  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: the "language" of d.s.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 02:59:52 AM »
My memories:

Terrified glances toward the camera (at the teleprompter);
"Blue screen" backgrounds;
"Trips" over the ground cables;
Out-of-breath Actors (as they arrive in the new scene after running from one end of the studio to the other).

Brian

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 07:45:05 PM »
Slatterns and incestors.  Being potted.  Biker Beatniks named Buzz.  Lions' heads looking at doves.  Gaols.  Rosewater.

Gerard

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 07:51:40 PM »
Maybe we should just have a list of Julia-isms.  I swear, she's probably the character with the most personality traits:  her flickering, heavily-lashed eyes, the ever-present cigarette and smoker's cough, her catchy little phrases, her patent scream, her vast array of sedatives, her trusty black medical bag, her emphatic way of speaking, etc.

Let's not forget her handbags and gloves. Wow, what stylish woman she was. :)

and back to the main topic:

A-line dresses
Blue taper candles (no matter what the time period)
Explaining the zodiac charm bracelet to Daniel and Sarah, including calling one of the signs a "devil."  Honestly, some people just don't know how to behave when transported to another time ;)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 08:15:01 PM »
duh...duh...duh...DUUUH!!
My family has replaced the theme from Twilight Zone with DS ;D
Please, oh please, the faux shaped moles on molls in 1795!!! Oysh!!
The merging of names....Cassandralexis.
Gaoul was a good one.
"You Must!"
''''''Leviathan'''''''
(we've had a discussion on here a few years ago, if any newer cousins wants to look.)
"Accuse"
"Witchcraft"
revEREND.....
And, I believe it's safe to say, we (on dsboardsdotcom) FF more than any other single show.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 05:13:40 PM »
I've so enjoyed reading through all of these - the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is how characters were always threatening to "destroy" each other.  Mr. CassandraBlair and I giggle in jest about "destroying" each other all the time now!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 06:19:50 PM »
And, I believe it's safe to say, we (on dsboardsdotcom) FF more than any other single show.

[shkdg]  Not only shouldn't it be safe to say, it borders on sacrilege and is quite disheartening to hear.  [sad11]

I'm always dismayed when someone says they FF through any part of DS, particularly if it's because they don't like a certain actor/character because that discounts the work of the other actor(s) who may be sharing the scene. As irritating as one might find any actor/character, there's always something in every scene that's well worth being seen, and the thought that someone might sacrifice that aspect of a scene just to avoid some other part of it is depressing.  :'(

(Not to mention FF probably risks incurring the wrath of the DS gods.  [firedevil]  [Ghost00]  [Witch_Potion_Animated]  Has anyone who FF noticed that something has gone wrong in their lives? Well, Karma's a bitch. See what you've brought onto yourself!  [b003])

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »
Can you honestly say you have NEVER, EVER, fast-forwarded through ANY part of DS?  Not even a scene with Roger Davis at his hair-wrangling worst?

Come on, Pepe.....NEVER???
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 08:12:10 PM »
The only time I FF through a DS ep is when I'm looking for a specific scene in an ep to answer a question on the forum or for myself. Whenever I sit down to watch DS purely for enjoyment I can honestly say that I never ever FF through scenes - not an Adam scene at his most boorish, not an RD scene at his hair-wrangling worst, and not even a Jeb scene at his most cheap and insufferably pigheaded (which, on my aggravation scale, is like watching an RD scene times at least three  :o). I never sacrifice a second.

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 11:31:33 PM »
Ditto, MB.  I have never fast-forwarded through DS unless I'm researching something specific, not even the credits!  To do so is disrespectful to every single person who worked on the show, IMO, right down to the gaffer (did they have gaffers?).  Actually, I can honestly say I never FF'd any show or movie, even if I've seen it a million times before.  If I get bored or interrupted, I'll stop what I'm watching, but never FF.  I hate it when people shut movies off before the credits are done.  Now that's not to say that I'm paying attention to every scene that's on, but I'd never actually FF to get to something "better."  I even watch the commercials on the MPI videos every time.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 12:09:17 AM »
Can you honestly say you have NEVER, EVER, fast-forwarded through ANY part of DS? 

Me neither.  Never.  The whole show is well worth watching IMO.  Why anyone (especially fans) would fast forward any part of it, I shall never understand.  And for the record, Adam and Jeb are awesome characters ((Penny ducks flying debris)).  And Roger Davis was cool as Charles Delaware Tate ((Penny ducks grenades)).
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 08:51:12 PM »
I have never FF'd through an episode either. even during the credits I am watching to see the the lights dim, or a stagehand or actor walks into shot.  ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 10:16:02 PM »
NO wonder you don't like me.;)  Can't say I have had bad karma in my personal life as a result of FF but when I taped the series back in the 1980s when it ran on NJN, I frequently FF if a scene or actor was boring me.  However, please understand, I have great respect for the DS gods of this board. ( [9050]

Nancy

I'm always dismayed when someone says they FF through any part of DS, particularly if it's because they don't like a certain actor/character because that discounts the work of the other actor(s) who may be sharing the scene. As irritating as one might find any actor/character, there's always something in every scene that's well worth being seen, and the thought that someone might sacrifice that aspect of a scene just to avoid some other part of it is depressing.  :'(

(Not to mention FF probably risks incurring the wrath of the DS gods.  [firedevil]  [Ghost00]  [Witch_Potion_Animated]  Has anyone who FF noticed that something has gone wrong in their lives? Well, Karma's a bitch. See what you've brought onto yourself!  [b003])

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2005, 03:29:20 AM »
If I get bored, I fast forward.  Usually, I'll find the scenes I skipped to be more interesting the next time around.  Sometimes a storyline interests me more than another... I loved the Cyrus/Yaeger thing recently, and wasn't that interested earlier.  Sometimes I like watching Barnabas & Josette, and other times I prefer Millicent & Nathan.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 08:37:15 PM »
Some of the things that have become everyday speak with my wife and I, and a few of my friends, include:

"I like cheese"
"Do you have any paintings by Charles Delaware Tate?"
"The pink cards or the green cards?"
"OhmygodwhathaveIdone"   (said as one word with little emotion, ala Chris Jennings after fighting Jeb Hawks)
"Tell them you saw no one" (slowly) "So what should I say if I see someone?" "Tell them that you saw NO ONE!" (quickly and indignantly)
"Leave her pure, blameless" (followed by a sputtering sound as if you were blowing the fly away)
"Worthington Hall" (can be worked into many contexts)
"Mr. Barnabas...you gonna finish those fries"  (done in Ben Stokes voice, okay its not an actual series line, but when you say it like Stokes, it sounds right)

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, there have been some good ones already

Michael  [gramophone]
[/color]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 03:52:33 AM »
"Mr. Barnabas...you gonna finish those fries"  (done in Ben Stokes voice, okay its not an actual series line, but when you say it like Stokes, it sounds right)

LMAO!  Very amusing!  Have you ever listened to Ron Barry's Dumb Shadows?  I can easily imagine Ron Barry doing that line with his great Stokes impression.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com