Author Topic: Collinwiki?  (Read 5722 times)

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
Re: Collinwiki?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 10:43:23 AM »
Out of curiosity, who here is Mysticpen?
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005, 09:16:22 PM »

I'll be damned if I can figure how one member of wikicites can send a personal message to another "wikicitizen," but since Mysticpen is contributing to your DS wiki perhaps you can leave a message for him there?

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »
Each person (just like each article) has their own "discussion" page.  As far as I know, you can't send private messages like on a messageboard, though.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2005, 09:52:39 PM »
Each person (just like each article) has their own "discussion" page.  As far as I know, you can't send private messages like on a messageboard, though.

So what do you do in order to keep in touch with those working on the project?  Do you have to first create your own messageboard so that  contributors can communitcate with one another?  Or am I mistaken in assuming that there would be a need for contributors to contact one another?  
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2005, 10:12:27 PM »
Of course contributors should be contacting each other to discuss how things should be done, but where you write it depends on what you plan to talk about.  If you want to discuss something in a specific article that you think should be changed or added or whatever, you can post your thoughts in the Discussion page for that specific article.  If you want to ask a question of a specific editor about what they're doing, you can post the question in that person's Discussion page.  There are also other areas (or if there aren't, they can be created) such as the Community Portal, where general discussion about the wiki can be posted.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2005, 11:36:49 PM »
If you want to ask a question of a specific editor about what they're doing, you can post the question in that person's Discussion page.

Ah, I see your discussion page, and that you and Mysticpen did contact each other yesterday.  The conversation is nearly identical to one you had here with a poster yesterday, so doesn't that tell you who MP is here on the boards?  ???

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2005, 11:43:27 PM »
Haha, possibly I suppose.  I just wasn't about to assume that since I got asked the same question twice that it was the same person asking.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2005, 03:02:53 AM »
I am. I just saw your response in the user talk area on Collinwiki before logging in here. Thanks for the explanation about the 1966=1967 situation.  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2005, 04:27:53 AM »
I just wasn't about to assume that since I got asked the same question twice that it was the same person asking.

LOL, a good idea, apparently.  :D

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2005, 07:31:16 PM »
Thanks, Doug for Collinwiki.  I would love to contribute.  I had toyed with the idea of doing something similar some time ago (not wiki style but my own creation) but the enormity of the task put me off.  If I have suggestions of addtional things to keep track of (appearance of supernatural creatures, or incidents and use of magic and witchcraft) how best would it be to offer these suggestions?

Nelson
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2005, 08:27:39 PM »
Well obviously, the best way to offer your suggestions would be to be bold and go ahead and add them to the site! ;)  Or you can post them either here in this thread, or preferably on the actual site under the Discussion tab for whichever topic you have.  For a general suggestion about the site or a suggestion on something that doesn't exist yet on the site, you can add it to the Community Portal or its Discussion page.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2005, 08:56:16 PM »
Or you can post them either here in this thread

Actually, rather than publicly discussing suggestions for the wiki project that really have nothing to do with this forum, it might be preferable if people were to contact proudhug via the forum's PM feature or by e-mail.  :)

PMs can be sent by clicking on the PM icon ( if he's on the forum, if he isn't) in any of proudhug's posts, or by clicking the "Send this cousin a personal message." link in his profile.

Clicking the e-mail icon ( in the Variations on Blue theme, in the bloodred theme) in any of his posts will bring up the e-mail feature of a browser or someone's actual e-mail program if the browser is set up that way. Or if one doesn't have an e-mail setup with their browser, they can find proudhug's e-mail address in his profile.

However, all that being said, please absolutely feel free to publicly post about the progress of the wiki and/or to inform people of any newly added features. I'm sure everyone will definitely be eagerly looking forward to learning how the project progresses.

or preferably on the actual site under the Discussion tab for whichever topic you have.

That would certainly seem to be the best idea.  ;)

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2005, 01:47:20 AM »
Sorry, if you thought I was trying to imply that this forum should become homebase for discussion of the wiki creation.  I was just suggesting that if people are having trouble figuring out the wiki's communication system, they could post they're questions in this thread until they get the hang of it.  We're all still here for Dark Shadows, after all.  I'd've thought that any discussion about DS would be welcomed.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2005, 05:50:30 AM »
Sorry, if you thought I was trying to imply that this forum should become homebase for discussion of the wiki creation.  I was just suggesting that if people are having trouble figuring out the wiki's communication system, they could post they're questions in this thread until they get the hang of it.

MB wasn't suggesting that interested parties be thrown to an unfamiliar system; he offered the PM and email capabilities of the Forum.  There are key differences between discussions about your project that end up in the posting area and in either PM, email, or the talk pages of wikicites.  The latter options do not use a significant amount, if any, of this site's bandwidth, they do not show up as new posts for all visitors to read, they are not stored indefinitely on the Forum's webspace, and they do not have to be moderated.  That last one applies only to my mods and myself-- we read every word posted here.  While MB and I honestly never thought it was your intention to make this your homebase, it seems to us that you were inviting others to brainstorm with you here, which means that any planning conducted in posts between you and your wiki editors would have to be stored, seen in post listings by visitors who are not involved with your project, and read by the board mods.

We're all still here for Dark Shadows, after all.  I'd've thought that any discussion about DS would be welcomed.

Proudhug, we support your project-- I think it's great-- and you're welcome to report about it here, but to help you understand where MB and I are coming from when it comes to others posting suggestions or communcating with you about your project, please consider that if you use this topic to brainstorm and communicate with your editors, regardless of how often it occurs, then wouldn't that open the door for every other Forum cousin that is involved in a DS project outside of these boards to discuss their projects here with their editors, or to communicate here with others working on their site?  If this were to occur, we would not have the space and the mods would not have the time to devote to the actual purpose of these forums, which is (from the guidelines) to discuss DARK SHADOWS, its characters, actors and storylines.  With all due respect, what you propose (for others 'to offer your suggestions" about your project) is not discussing DS-- it is conducting the business of your site.

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Midnite. :)  I wasn't inviting others to brainstorm here, I was just inviting others to brainstorm period, not thinking it mattered where (though naturally, I'd prefer that it's all kept on the wiki).  I personally don't distinguish between discussing Dark Shadows and discussing CollinWiki, be it the content of the project or the creation of the project, so that's why I was a little confused.  Having just reread this site's guidelines, I see that the board's purpose isn't as broad as I'd thought, and that you're completely right that discussing what to include on CollinWiki may not at times be appropriate for this messageboard.

Haha, once again, I think this thread has gone into irrelevant territory, but oh well.