Author Topic: OT - Inventing Late Night by our own Ben Alba!!  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
OT - Inventing Late Night by our own Ben Alba!!
« on: September 06, 2005, 10:46:17 PM »
Hi All,

The other night I got together with Ben and some other fellow Dark Shadows fan here in the Chicagoland area for some fellowship and refreshements. We watched Rich Blanco's wonderful video of the 2005 Festival in Hollywood, and Ben shared with us the plans for the release of his upcoming book, "Inventing Late Night'. I mentioned to Ben that many of the posters on this forum would be interested in the book, and that I would post the info. If you're interested in pre-ordering online -- and would like to help boost the book's all-important sales rank -- please wait until September 27, a target date on which everybody who is interested can strategically order at the same time. 
 Below is the info on the book, and an amazon.com link to uise when pre-ordering it.  ;D

Inventing Late Night:  Steve Allen and the Original Tonight Show

Before Jay, Johnny, or Jack, there was Steve. It was Steve Allen who in 1954 created the Tonight show, a pop culture institution that has become America's longest-running and most successful late-night program. It all seems so simple--the desk, the monologue, the announcer/sidekick, the bandleader as comic foil, the breezy chats with celebrities, the wacky stunts, the comedy sketches, the roaming cameras, the irreverent observations of passersby, the offbeat and eccentric guests, the fun with exotic animals, and the ad-lib banter with the studio audience.

Steve Allen invented this formula. He revolutionized America's viewing and sleeping habits by establishing the grammar of late-night TV and hosting Tonight during its first three formative years. In so doing, he paved the way for Paar, Carson, and Leno. Much of what exists on late night today is derived from Allen's early years in television. Even conventions identified with later hosts--like "Jay Walking," "Stupid Human Tricks," "The Tea-Time Movie with Art Fern," and "Carnac the Magnificent"--owe their origins to the early Allen shows. As Jay Leno acknowledges, "There's nothing new. It all started with Steve."

Now, for the first time, the true story of how Tonight developed under Allen's innovative leadership is told by the people who were there over fifty years ago, including members of the original production team, the first Tonight regulars, and Allen's colleagues. In exclusive interviews, more than thirty of these entertainment legends share their insights about Allen and early television--including Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Jonathan Winters, Don Knotts, Doc Severinsen, Louis Nye, Tom Poston, Bill Dana, Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, Andy Williams, Tim Conway, the Smothers Brothers, Pat Harrington Jr., Diahann Carroll, Eartha Kitt, Bobby Short, Skitch Henderson, director Dwight Hemion, writer Larry Gelbart, and Allen's widow, Jayne Meadows. In addition, the reflections of industry giants such as Jay Leno, David Letterman, Bill Maher, Bob Costas, Ed McMahon, Dick Clark, and others confirm Allen's extraordinary influence.

Although the late-night template Allen pioneered still flourishes today, certain unique aspects of his Tonight show sprang from his desire to expose audiences to matters of cultural and social importance. A jazz aficionado and pianist, he launched a forum for jazz artistry with an array of artists from Louis Armstrong and Count Basie to Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald. Driven by his social conscience, he created a groundbreaking showcase for performers of color during an era when they were seldom seen on television, and he even tackled controversial topics like organized crime and the death penalty, sometimes at great professional and personal risk. On Tonight and on his 1956-60 NBC prime-time series, Allen's keen eye for talent gave an enormous boost to future icons like Jonathan Winters, Jack Kerouac, Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Jackie Mason, Elvis Presley, and the Muppets.

Inventing Late Night is an invaluable, entertaining, and revealing behind-the-scenes look at the birth of an original American art form and its brilliant inventor, whose influence continues to make America stay awake and laugh--night after night.

Ben Alba is an author, a trial lawyer, a law professor, a musician, and a classic television buff. He teaches legal writing and co-directs the bar passage program at DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, Illinois, after previously spending nineteen years as a litigation attorney with the Chicago law firm of Sneckenberg Thompson & Brody.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591023424/criseydsdarkshad
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: OT - Inventing Late Night by our own Ben Alba!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:40:08 AM »
Thanks for posting about the book Bob, it sounds really interesting.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 03:01:24 AM »
How fascinating.  I commented to my friend Claude the other day that if Steve Allen were alive and broadcasting today, he'd probably be burnt at the stake by the Office of Homeland Security.

I'll never forget the revival of his staged panels of debates between famous historical figures such as Tom Paine, Jefferson, Sokrates, Mme Curie, etc., in the early Seventies.  You could turn on the TV and listen to learned, witty debate that ran the gamut from the origins and nature of democracy to the role of aesthetics in the evolution of human culture.

It's good to know that Ben is publishing this book. Steve Allen deserves to be remembered and celebrated for his contributions.

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:15:32 AM »
I absolutely LOVED that show!!!  My Dad and I never missed an episode.  It was so witty and intelligent.  And you're absolutely right.....if Steve Allen was producing that show today he'd be on a list somewhere in an F.B.I. data base.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:29:46 AM »
YES!!! I remember that show too.  I was addicted to it.  Smart and witty, Steve Allen in a nutshell.  I am having a baby boomer moment here, anyone remember the NAME of that show?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 03:34:57 AM »
Was it something like "Meeting of the Minds"?

I think that was it.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:43:10 AM »
Thank you, YES!  I remembered it when I saw the name in your post.

jeannie

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:03:20 PM »
Thanks so much, Bobubas, for your posting!  Yes, the name of the show is "Meeting of Minds," and would you believe that it took Steve Allen 18 years to launch it?  He originally conceived the concept in 1959 and tried to air it on his Sunday night prime-time comedy series, but the network vetoed it, fearing that a debate about capital punishment on a comedy-variety show might antagonize viewers and sponsors.  Thanks to Allen's persistence, "Meeting of Minds" became a PBS institution from 1977 to '81, winning coveted Peabody and Emmy awards.  There is a brief section about it in my book.  Allen was very proud of this series and felt that it would have more lasting value than any of the comedy and music programs for which he had become better known.

Ben

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 07:16:04 PM »
I forgot to mention in my prior post that my book has a tiny little connection to DS.  TLATKLS, who runs a successful publishing company of her own, Pomegranate Press, has been extremely supportive of my project and has generously given me tons of professional advice over the last few years.  Her name appears in the acknowledgments section of the book.

Ben

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 03:18:08 AM »
Great going, Ben!  I remember you mentioning your plans for the book a few years back, and now it is truly seeing the light of day.  It sounds like a fascinating book, too.  Glad you were able to make one small DS connection with KLS!

:D

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »
Ben, along with Jayne Meadows, appeared on Southern California Public Radio station KPCC on Sunday, October 30.  This "Talk of the City" program was fantastic, and Ben Alba is a fascinating speaker (and I can attest he is in front of an audience as well since a few of us had the pleasure of seeing them at Vroman's this past weekend).  You can learn much about the book and also witness the genuine affection that Ms. Meadows has for her husband's biographer in this broadcast because, fortunately, the radio program is archived here in Real Player format:  (Thanks, MsC!)

http://www.scpr.org/programs/talkcity/listings/2005/10/totc_20051024.shtml
Scroll down to the "Inventing Late Night" writeup.  Enjoy!

There are 3 pledge breaks during the broadcast.  (Andy Williams, Edie Adams, and June Foray did not attend the second signing; however, Margaret O'Brien, Joseph Bologna, Renee Taylor, Jean Smart, Pat Kelly [Mrs. Gene Kelly], and the granddaughter of Sidney Sheldon did.)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:07:42 PM »
I was fortunate enough to attend the signing and found it very informative as well as entertaining.  As Midnite attested, Ben is a very polished speaker and Jayne Meadows's first-hand anecdotes fleshed out some of the details of his talk. [thumb]

Here is a photo of Bette, myself, and Midnite with our books followed by a picture of myself with Ben.

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 10:45:57 PM »
Ben's babes, lol.

Jayne Meadows's first-hand anecdotes fleshed out some of the details of his talk.

She shared that Edie Adams had related at the Beverly Hills signing 2 days prior that the destruction of kinescopes from Allen's show was not to clear space as Ben had been told but was done deliberately and maliciously.  It was due to the fact that the Allens owned 50% of the show and was accomplished by throwing them overboard from a barge near the Statue of Liberty.

With politics like that, DS fans are SO fortunate that our beloved show is almost entirely intact.  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 12:24:42 AM »
Three Girls Three! and what glamorous girls they are!

Edie Adams is a name to conjure with; I'm thrilled she's still with us.  I will never forget seeing her in a touring company of Mame, ca. 1970?  (may have been 1969)  She was dazzlingly charismatic in the role.

That's just horrid about the destruction of those kinescopes.  Yes, we DS fans don't realize much of the time just how incredibly fortunate we are that only ONE episode of our show is missing outright.

Thanks for sharing, Midnite!

xo Steve

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 01:47:11 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, Gothick. We had a great time listening to Ben, and hearing Jayne's stories.

BTW, in the pic of the three of us, if you look in the background you will see three women at the signing table. The first is an actress whom Jayne forgot to name, and the blonde next to her is Jean Smart, from "Designing Women."

Bette
Life works if you let it