Author Topic: The Frankenstein Chronicles Comes Roaring to Life After Three Years in Purgatory  (Read 538 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm 3 episodes in...

it's certainly well done and entertaining. but the "Frankenstein" branding seems a bit tacked on. the Mary Shelly character shoehorned in to add "name value".

it's not supernatural (at least as of yet). it's more a straightforward pre-Victorian police procedural with a ghoulish edge. but the Frankenstein imprimatur isn't really elemental to the overall plot.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
From what I read in that article, it sounds like it very well could be quite in the spirit of the world of the original Frankenstein novel, which had nothing to do with the supernatural, but dealt with philosophical and religious themes in the form of a natural world science fiction story. Looks like this new series is taking a few elements from that story and creating new stories going in new directions.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
without spoiling anything i can say the series' tone changes dramatically in season two. almost a different show.

not surprisingly rising star Vanessa Kirby, riding a wave of success from 'The Crown', has a greatly reduced presence in the second season as well. she's filming things back to back.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.