Author Topic: Vintage Joan Bennett Fanzine: Under Bennett's Bonnet  (Read 680 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Vintage Joan Bennett Fanzine: Under Bennett's Bonnet
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
Through eBay, I just acquired two issues of a Joan Bennett fanzine, with the very odd title Under Bennett's Bonnet. These go back to 1970, when my teenage interest in DS was at its peak. I had absolutely no idea that Joan had a fan club during the run of the series. Over the years, I have heard about fanzines and clubs for most of the actors but this was new to me. Nor were the names on the publication (Gail Katz, Sue Agranoff, Rachel Silverman) at all familiar.
The zines are very much a product of their time. Hand drawn graphics. Typewritten, with lots of misspellings and overstrikes. But there's still a certain charm to it. They have access to Joan who was unsurprisingly gracious. There are some scattered interviews with Joan. Nothing particularly shocking, unless you happen to be shocked by the revelation that Joan didn't like turnips. There are two chapters of an 1897 piece of fan fiction where Judith is menaced by the return of a flesh and blood Gregory Trask. He found a secret passageway out of the room. Of course, that doesn't explain how he survived the gunshot. No idea if the story continued beyond two chapters.
Not to say that there aren't some interesting bits. I was unaware that there had been a bomb scare at the studio on May 1, 1970.
There is also an interview with DS hair stylist Edith Tilles. Edith came to DS after having been the hairdresser on Jackie Gleason and Gentle Ben. I presume that she did the hair for Dennis Weaver and the other actors but you never know. The most interesting part for me is that if you sent Edith a SASE, she would send you a clipping from your favorite actor's hair. I would love to find out if anyone actually did this! And, did Edith have to fight off KLS for any Frid clippings?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Joan Bennett Fanzine: Under Bennett's Bonnet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:34:18 PM »
That's fascinating, Uncle Roger. And what an odd name for a Joan fanzine.

I saw Edith Tilles at one of JF's reader theater performances a couple of decades ago. She seemed very sharp and sassy.

Like so many people involved on the show, she obviously had no interest in the occult, or she would have known better than to have offered to send off locks of people's hair--a notorious element in voodoo doll spells...

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »
You know, Gothick, I had never even thought of the occult use of hair clippings. I wonder if anyone attempted that!

And your post triggered a memory for me.  I recall reading that the girl who ran Don Briscoe's fan club, whose name was Liz Barker, was a practicing witch. No idea if she was Wiccan or not.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:19:34 PM »
Not all that surprising--a lot of occult people watched the show back then, for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

G.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
At last, something directly related to the show!! Thanks for this interesting information, Uncle Roger!!