Author Topic: Possible source for NoDS storyline  (Read 712 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Possible source for NoDS storyline
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
A beguiling portrait of a mysterious, dead femme fatale... a piano, a painter, and the smell of jasmine... sound familiar? This episode of JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN--a series which I believe aired in a nighttime slot on CBS in 1969--was adapted from the novella by Oliver Onions, "The Beckoning Fair One."  The series was produced through England's legendary Hammer studios. Gabrielle Drake, who appeared on both THE AVENGERS and UFO, plays the clueless girlfriend to Robert Lansing's moody, troubled painter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKsuZxjpAM

I may have posted about this show before--if so, I apologize for the repetition. I remember posting about an episode of ONE STEP BEYOND which also had elements of the NoDS in its plotline.

Best, G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible source for NoDS storyline
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:58 PM »

I may have posted about this show before--if so, I apologize for the repetition.
Best, G.
If you did post before, I missed it, so I'm glad you did.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:14:43 PM »
I never got to see Journey to the Unknown in its original run. I did get see a few that were paired into a compilation film. I distinctly remember Vera Miles playing a librarian who was being stalked by a homicidal maniac. The compilation was "hosted" by none other than Joan Crawford.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:04:51 AM »
I never saw any of JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN until a friend loaned me some grey market DVDs of the show back sometime in the mid 2000s.  Each show featured an American guest star, reportedly to help sell the series to the US market. The one with a young Chad Everett haunted by a disastrous party from the 1920s was interesting.

Another precursor to the NoDS plotline is the Vincent Price/Roger Corman classic, THE HAUNTED PALACE, from 1963.  The evilly seductive spectre in "Beckoning Fair One" does seem closer to how Angelique's ghost is depicted in our film.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:19:10 AM »
Journey to the Unknown was produced by Joan Harrison and Norman Lloyd, who both had a long working history with Alfred Hitchcock. Too bad the show had such a brief run.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:49:41 PM »
The series was produced through England's legendary Hammer studios. Gabrielle Drake, who appeared on both THE AVENGERS and UFO, plays the clueless girlfriend to Robert Lansing's moody, troubled painter.

Thankfully NoDS' Tracy had more gumption and smarts, but then she had Alex who really did believe there was a ghost at Collinwood. Lansing's character and Quentin really are quite similar.

Thanks for the link Gothick.  [snow_smiley]  I enjoyed both this and the chapter with Chad Everett. I haven't gotten to the third chapter...