Author Topic: <OT Audio Books  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
<OT Audio Books
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:04:56 AM »
So, I'm at the point, that reading doesn't relax me; bad eyes, train of thought.

A few weeks ago, Amazon sent me a voucher for (2) free audio books.

Now, I'm looking here, there & everywhere.

(As far as the Amazon, it was probably a way to get me to subscribe to their audio book club; just $14.95 FOR ONE AUDIO BOOK!!) Pass.

But, while looking for my last book, one was like .46, natch, I bought it. (It's narrated by Gildart Jackson aka 'Gideon' on Charmed.)

I was renting the CDs from my library, but it's slim pickings.

Just now on ebay, I typed in downloadable audio ebooks.

Something caught my eye.
You pay someone like 2.xx dollars for books which are in public domain.

I asked this someone if I have to d/l them (and, find them...?)

I'll 'assume' this is legal.

Does anyone have insight or suggestions for me? I basically just like to listen to suspense or thrillers.

Merci beaucoup,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: <OT Audio Books
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:19 AM »
Go on YouTube and type in audio books along with some other search terms. You'll probably find some there. As for the guy who is asking you to pay for links to free audio, he's probably trying to sell you access to stuff from LibriVox, a free service. They record audio books of public domain works. Here's a link. https://librivox.org/

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
I remember reading in Grayson Hall's fan club newsletter that a couple of the Marilyn Ross DS paperbacks were available as talking books. One of them was Barnabas, Quentin and The Serpent. I don't remember what the other titles were. I don't have any other information on them, no idea who produced them or who did the readings. I don't think I've ever seen a physical copy of any. So, if any should turn up, they would be true collectors' items.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:32 AM »
Go on YouTube and type in audio books along with some other search terms. You'll probably find some there. As for the guy who is asking you to pay for links to free audio, he's probably trying to sell you access to stuff from LibriVox, a free service. They record audio books of public domain works. Here's a link. https://librivox.org/
Doc, how do I d/l an audio book onto my phone (using Audible), or, do I need a different app to be able to listen?

Thank you,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »
Hmm...am at LibriVox.

I typed in Mystery for genre; they're all very old books (late 1800s). Plus, I wanted a brief synopsis of what the book is about, nothing comes out.....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
Patti,

I used to read before going to sleep, but about 6 months ago macular degeneration got the best of me, and reading is not pleasurable and difficult at best (even reading this message board and typing this message is a challenge.)

In June, I started listening to audio books from Amazon Audible on my Kindle.  Cost-wise, I would spend be spending the money to buy an eBook anyway, so paying for a audio book through Amazon is comparable.  I realize that’s not for everybody, though

I can’t speak to free downloads of audio books, but I do find that most (not all!) of the audible books I have bought are professionally read and narrated, and I also love the variety of “full-cast” radio dramas (BBS in particular) that are available.

There is an audible edition of “Dracula” with a full cast of readers, including Alan Cumming and Tim Curry that is excellent!  It’s not a dramatization, but actually the original book as read by the cast.  Cumming reads Dr. Seward, and Curry reads Van Helsing.

Just thought I would add my two cents.

Happy listening!

Brian

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 12:07:57 AM »
Brian, sorry about your macular degeneration. My sister in law has RP.

For me, it was almost right after I had Tommy; I was 'rounding' 40, I started getting ADD; I had always been an ad-voracious reader.

Kk...the 'old books' are because up through 1923, they're all considered public domain.

But here's another list; I've never heard of any of these books, hoping alot of cousins will chime in:

BEYOND THE WALL OF SLEEP CELEPHAIS DAGON EX OBLIVIONE FACTS CONCERNING THE LATE ARTHUR JERMYN AND HIS FAMILY HERBERT WEST - RE-ANIMATOR MEMORY NYARLATHOTEP POLARIS REMINISCENCE OF DR SAMUEL JOHNSON SWEET ERMENGARDE THE ALCHEMIST THE BEAST IN THE CAVE THE CATS OF ULTHAR THE CRAWLING CHAOS THE DOOM THAT CAME TO SARNATH THE MUSIC OF ERICH ZANN THE NAMELESS CITY THE PICTURE IN THE HOUSE THE SHUNNED HOUSE THE STATEMENT OF RANDOLPH CARTER THE STREET THE TERRIBLE OLD MAN THE TOMB THE TREE THE WHITE SHIP

Thanks,

Patti

PS, it's about 2.66
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 12:22:03 AM »
Hi Patti, your list of "books" comprises the titles of several short stories by H. P. Lovecraft. It looks as if this is from the table of contents of an electronic edition (or audiobook?) of Lovecraft's work.

I love this audiobook of Lovecraft's novella, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." It was produced for the BBC and is just one actor but has amazing music and sound effects, and he does the voices of various people really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJiSK3KW628&t=230s

The actor was the star of a mini-series with Ian Richardson in the mid 2000s, "Strange."  He's really good.

Best, Gothick

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 12:27:43 AM »
I meant to add that many of the stories listed in that post are more like prose poems--mostly long descriptive passages, without action or dialogue.  Just letting you know in case that is not your cup of tea.

Best,

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 01:50:20 AM »
Gothick, I now Knight thee, "Sir Biblio"

And, since I have the authority to do so,
you have a permanent seat at the Realm.

what this means, is thank you!

Patti

After 4 days of having such a bad cold, I FINALLY went to Dr., so, I can always claim 'medication' as my misuse of the word Realm  [santa_grin]
What a Woman!

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:20:31 AM »
I remember reading in Grayson Hall's fan club newsletter that a couple of the Marilyn Ross DS paperbacks were available as talking books. One of them was Barnabas, Quentin and The Serpent. I don't remember what the other titles were. I don't have any other information on them, no idea who produced them or who did the readings. I don't think I've ever seen a physical copy of any. So, if any should turn up, they would be true collectors' items.

I wonder if she was referring to audio books for the blind that were recorded by volunteers and were not official products sold by a publisher.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 05:23:30 AM »
Quote from: Patti
Doc, how do I d/l an audio book onto my phone (using Audible), or, do I need a different app to be able to listen?

LOL I have no idea. My phone is ancient. It has a retractable keyboard and very basic internet functions. Does anyone else know?

OK soapbox side comment. It's very sad that an expensive piece of electronics is "ancient" when it was state of the art about 5 years ago! How many phones end up in landfills every year? End of rant.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 05:50:43 AM »

I wonder if she was referring to audio books for the blind that were recorded by volunteers and were not official products sold by a publisher.

Good question. Google search turned up nothing for the Ross books and I'm not sure if Julia Collins/Julia Bosley (I think that was her name) is around to ask. I don't know if she is involved in fandom anymore.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
There seem to be tons of audiobooks (along with other audio material--my favorite are the old radio shows, such as MURDER AT MIDNIGHT, THE STRANGE DR WEIRD, SUSPENSE, THE WITCH'S TALE, etc) on Youtube.  I don't know if one could listen to Youtube on a telephone, though.  Presumably one could but earbuds or similar would make it a better experience... (I'm still resisting getting a dataplan for my phone. I feel I need to be offline at selected times during the day.)

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:17 AM »
  I don't know if one could listen to Youtube on a telephone, though.  Presumably one could but earbuds or similar would make it a better experience... (I'm still resisting getting a dataplan for my phone. I feel I need to be offline at selected times during the day.)

G.

Steve, you just D/L them once, and they stay there; you don't have to be online to listen or read them.
And, as far as Amazon Kindle or Audible, it's an extremely fast D/L.  [banana-santa]

Patti

UPDATE...don't know how or where I was (although on my main email account, it does say Kindle or Audible), I D/L 6 new books; each between .99-1.99 (most were about $1.50).
What a Woman!