Author Topic: By Invitation Only  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
By Invitation Only
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:34:55 AM »
Here's something I've wanted to ask for a while;

When, within vampire lore (or, perhaps more accurately, TV/movie vamp. lore) did it become a vampire could only enter a private domicile by invitation only?

I believe my first memory is with 'Lost Boys' (Edward Hermann tells 'the boys', "Never invite a vampire in...(more words), and, it had to be the 'man of the house'. (Which is inaccurate; it wasn't Jason Patric's house, but Bernard Hughes'.)

I don't remember it in any of the Hammer or earlier pics; then, Buffy & Angel it was harped about frequently.

Watching DS right now; Barnabas was never formally invited into Collinwood, he was inside before it was habitable. The Old House was Naomi's gift, so that's not an issue....

I also don't remember it being an issue for 'Interview with the Vampire'.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: By Invitation Only
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:33:07 AM »
"Vampirology" is fluid.  In Dracula, the Count could not enter a home unless invited.  Nor could he even cross over the threshold of his own domains - he would have to leave by crawling out a window and scamper down the walls like a spider.  Of course, Bram Stoker broke these rules throughout his novel.  In 'Salem's Lot, the vampires could not enter a home without being invited.  Of course, Stephen King broke this role a few times. 

In other vampire works, whether written or filmed, the rules of invitation were completely ignored.  It all depends upon the intent of the creators.  In the Hammer films, Christopher Lee could use his supernatural strength to break through any door or window to feast on whatever nubile pretty thing was beyond.  In The Last Man on Earth, the best cinematic adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, the vampires (created by a virus) were individually weak, and sometimes mob weak, unable to break through a locked or barricaded door or window.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »
"Vampirology" is fluid.  In Dracula, the Count could not enter a home unless invited.  Of course, Bram Stoker broke these rules throughout his novel.
When did Stoker break that rule? When he attacked Mina, they were in Seward's house and the Count got permission from Renfield to come in. I think they made mention of the fact that the sanitarium was attached to the house extended Renfield's permission. I don't recall him entering any other houses, but I've not read the novel in a very long time.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »
I don't remember about the invitation part, but since there's mention of Stoker breaking the rules, I was always stunned that there was a scene when Dracula appeared during daytime.  I remember one time seeing the book at a bookstore and looking through it to find that spot to see if I really remembered that correctly.  It's when several of them go to his house during the day and he appears in a room and threatens them.  I forget how they get out of the situation, but it's definitely during daylight hours.
Josette

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:15:21 PM »
I believe Stoker said that Dracula needed to rest in his coffin, but did not mean he had to be there all day. If I recall correctly he could rise at certain times but with his powers reduced. If I think of it later I'll try to find the passage I'm thinking of. It's possible though that I'm remembering something someone else wrote. It's been a while since I read the novel.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:45:40 PM »
I remember Van Helsing in the book saying that Dracula could be abroad at noontime.  And I do remember the scene where they confront him during the day.  It was really well dramatized in the Louis Jourdan version (filmed for BBC TV broadcast in the late Seventies--often cited as one of the most accurate attempts to film this often-filmed book).

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:05 AM »
In Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Count, as in the novel, moves about at daytime on certain occasions, although weakened.  Like Burton's version of DS, Dracula wore heavy clothing, a wide-brimmed hat providing shade and sunglasses, just as Barnabas did.  So it seems, in some vampire folklore, the undead could tolerate limited exposure to sunlight.  Maybe long term would prove "fatal."

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:29:35 AM »
Sorry if I'm not quite clear; was it B. Stoker who had the rule of 'By Invite Only'?, or a previous author?

The Renfrew part flows with the Buffy & Angel; Angel would say a hotel is public accomidations. (Always liked that Spike told Angel that Buffy never revoked his (Spike's) invite, but, she did Angel's!)

But, let's get back to Barnabas. Since he's a Collins, are all the properties which are owned by the Collins' 'open inviation'? Weren't most of those built when he was alive?

Barnabas Collins....to serve man....in his many properties....yuck yuck

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:21 AM »
Bram Stoker was the first author to apply the rule to vampires.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »
Thank you to all who provided additional info.  I should re-read it some day!!  I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember the daytime confrontation.
Josette