Author Topic: Jerry Lacy's Reverend Trask - any opinions?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Jerry Lacy's Reverend Trask - any opinions?
« on: August 20, 2005, 09:49:16 PM »
Like Robert Rodan, Jerry Lacy is another competent actor I don't see much discussion about. Maybe it's because he completely inhibits his role without allot of ego or scene stealing. Don't know why he fades into the woodwork sometimes because the Reverend Trask is a pivotal DS character.
Can't say I have much of an opinion on his work as Ton Peterson but as Reverend Trask;

- I wonder if JL thought this character out very throroughly as Trask's lethal personality unfolds itself slowly. At first, despite the scary dark clothing, he is charming, quiet, reflective but scarily sure of himself.

- I think one of his best scenes was Trasks deceptively quiet interrogation of Daniel. His knowing smirks up into the sky when thunder claps is great stuff. JL never overplays it and if you're not paying attention you might not catch or understand why Trask obviously felt thunder was either a sign from the "Devil" or a sign from "God" leading him on.   

- he's a fanatic but his corporate persona is so intelligently interwoven in Trasks' personality that one can believe he has been able to execute at will suspected witches with the public's approval.

Any opinions on Lacy and Reverend Trask? Good or bad, don't care.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Jerry Lacy's Reverend Trask - any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 10:22:49 PM »
this is just me but i really didn't care for jerry lacy as reverend trask.he really grated on my nerves(which was perhaps the point)and was the only part of the 1795 storyline that irritated me.i felt that the rest of the story was told with great subtlety and trask was hammy and over-the-top.

maybe there was really no other way to play a character so loathsome and it's not lacy's fault but i didn't go for it at all. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 10:30:24 PM »
I think a performer has to be nothing short of brilliant to create a character as loathesome as Gregory Trask.  Getting your audience to despise you isn't any easier than it is to get them to love you.  And I don't think you can blame Jerry Lacy for the over-the-top hystrionics: they were the hallmark of Trask Family behaviour, and so he had to play them that way.

I think it was very helpful that we also saw him playing a likable guy as Tony Peterson.  Otherwise we might all think Jerry Lacy was pretty over-the-top in real life as well.....[lghy] 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 11:46:22 PM »
Like mscbryk, I thought Vicki's witchcraft trial in general was frustrating and I detested Rev. Trask as a character.  However, I thought Lacy did a fabulous job as the fanatic determined to convict her at any cost (e.g. bribing a witness to testify against her).  One of the scenes that has always stuck in my mind is when Trask is giving his closing arguments at the trial.  As he belts out various accusations against Vicki, Lacy's eyes roll maniacally and seem at times to glow!  It's a very charged performance.  Maybe Lacy did ham up this role a bit, but if so his behavior fit the character and the circumstances.

If Rev. Trask I was "over the top" though, Lacy's portrayal of Gregory Trask was full of subtle, chilling glimpses of the character's depravity.  Although it's never stated explicitly, the way that the scenes between Gregory and Rachel Drummond play out suggests that he did very unpleasant and improper things to her when she was a child.  This is conveyed largely through Lacy's facial expressions, gestures, and emphasis on certain phrases.  Overall, I thought his performance was very controlled and effective.  To this day when I see an episode with Gregory Trask in it, I feel compelled to scrub myself with disinfectant: the character is that slimy.

Fortunately, Jerry Lacy is very pleasant in real life and it was a delight to meet him at this recent Festival. :)

ProfStokes

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 01:19:47 AM »
You can't get any hammier than Lacy's portrayals of Trask.  Whether this was what the directors wanted or not, I think it's unfortunate.  I agree that with the other performances in the 1795 storyline, we saw far more realistic people being portrayed - think of Thayer David's Ben Stokes by way of contrast.  Trask was a caricature, unlike any real person.  He might have been scary to children who originally viewed the series, though.

TPTB seem to have wanted a number of their villains to be cartoonish for some reason.

I found Lacy very likable as Tony Peterson and would like to have seen him in other roles where he wasn't playing over the top villains.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 04:41:18 AM »
   Jerry Lacy was excellent as Reverend Trask IMO.  Trask, as portrayed by Lacy, was a complete and utter fanatic - most definitely a few fries short of a Happy Meal.  As stefan said, Trask's personality unfolds over time.  His obsessive witch hunt becomes increasingly disturbing over the course of the 1795 storyline.  I feel the "big" qualities Lacy lets loose with are appropriate for the character.  Trask is full of himself.  He fully believes that he is the instrument of God. Heck, some of the real-life preachers I've seen on TV are waaaay more over the top than Trask ever was!  Jerry Lacy was well cast as the maniacal witch-hunter IMO.

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 08:56:22 AM »
I love JL's portrayal of all the Trasks, but especially the 1795 Rev.  I heard an interview with JL who said this Trask was his favorite because he ["Trask"] was not really a "bad" person, just over zealous.  He mentioned that the speeches were the hardest since Trask had a few long ones.  I loved to hate Rev. Trask and it was nice to take the attention off Angelique's antics.  You almost felt sorry for her, almost!

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 09:43:16 AM »
Quote from: mscbryk
was the only part of the 1795 storyline that irritated me

I also found the witchcraft trial weak and FF most of it. Though I understand Angelique came back from the dead to testify, so that might have been interesting.
I'm not sure even Vincent Price himself would have convinced me to sit through the whole grueling process so I don't blame the actors. Poor AM looked like a trapped rabbit (trapped in a boring storyline) throughout.
But, for some reason I didn't find him uneccessarily hammy (hmm maybe I should rewind my tapes again). I do feel his performances to be carefully laid out. Unlike my hero Jonathan Frid whom I believe barely remembered one episode from the next, though he presented some beautiful jewels.Jerry Lacey seemed to have had the whole Trask thing carefully laid out, revealing layer after layer of evil sometimes making him more of the monster than the vampire. But, who ever thinks of Trask as the real Dark Shadows monster and not Barnabas. Somehow JL has camouflaged Trask.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 03:57:41 PM »
You can't get any hammier than Lacy's portrayals of Trask.

Umm - have you seen Addison Powell as Dr. Lang?  ;D

Jerry Lacy was excellent as Reverend Trask IMO.  Trask, as portrayed by Lacy, was a complete and utter fanatic - most definitely a few fries short of a Happy Meal.  As stefan said, Trask's personality unfolds over time.  His obsessive witch hunt becomes increasingly disturbing over the course of the 1795 storyline.  I feel the "big" qualities Lacy lets loose with are appropriate for the character.  Trask is full of himself.  He fully believes that he is the instrument of God. Heck, some of the real-life preachers I've seen on TV are waaaay more over the top than Trask ever was!  Jerry Lacy was well cast as the maniacal witch-hunter IMO.

Very well put, PD.

I heard an interview with JL who said this Trask was his favorite because he ["Trask"] was not really a "bad" person, just over zealous.

Certainly over zealous and definitely misguided - but at the same time his motivations were far purer than his descendents Lamar and Gregory's were. In fact...

Although it's never stated explicitly, the way that the scenes between Gregory and Rachel Drummond play out suggests that he did very unpleasant and improper things to her when she was a child.  This is conveyed largely through Lacy's facial expressions, gestures, and emphasis on certain phrases.  Overall, I thought his performance was very controlled and effective.  To this day when I see an episode with Gregory Trask in it, I feel compelled to scrub myself with disinfectant: the character is that slimy.

...Gregory Trask may just be the most loathsome character ever on DS, especially in light of his being a purely human character. Not only are there implications in his relationship with Rachel, but having just watched ep #822, it's perfectly apparent that when he encourages Amanda to move into Collinwood, saving her soul is hardly at the top of his agenda. I would dare to say that it's not even in his top five. One can't help but flinch every time he touches Amanda because what is supposedly a comforting gesture is betrayed by its obvious sexual nature. Lacy plays this scene to perfection - in particular when Trask explains away the idea that it could be perceived as unsavory for Amanda to stay at Collinwood while Judith is still institutionalized.

I also found the witchcraft trial weak and FF most of it.

[a345]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 08:11:05 PM »
I'm not sure even Vincent Price

Speaking of Vincent Price, has anyone seen the Witchfinder General (aka The Conquerer Worm)?  Price is at his scariest and most loathsome as a witch-hunter in that film.

Yes, I agree, Gregory Trask might just be the most hateful DS character ever. 

~PennyDreadful~ 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 06:22:02 AM »
You can't get any hammier than Lacy's portrayals of Trask.
Umm - have you seen Addison Powell as Dr. Lang?  ;D

I did consider writing "you can't get much hammier" - thinking it was a tossup with a couple of other villainous characters on the show.  I'd forgotten about Dr. Lang, though - guess there were other roles on DS besides villains that were interpreted with, umm, great energy ...

PennyDreadful wrote:
some of the real-life preachers I've seen on TV are waaaay more over the top than Trask ever was!

Of course, I was thinking of "real" people when I made my comment ...  ::)

Interesting that mention of Vincent Price should come up in a discussion of "hams" - no one was perhaps suggesting ... ?   ;)

Price did a great job when he played things straight, IMO - as with "Witchfinder General."

Also, his one-man performance in "An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe" is fantastic - a must for anyone interested in Poe!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 12:48:39 PM »
Gregory Trask was in my opinion the most loathsome (therefore my favorite) villanous character. I can't really add to what other's have said about Trask.  Funny, I never thought of Jerry Lacy's performances as 'hammy' up until now. He certainly wasn't alone in the 'Hamminess' department.

Speaking of Dr. Lang, I remember one scene between him and Cassandra that brings a smile to my face.  Lara Parker had a hard time keeping a straight face during it. The scene is when she goes to his office with her 'sprained ankle'.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »
Oh, hands down Gregory Trask was the most loathsome and complex Trask family member, and for that reason the most enjoyable.  I think he would've even shocked his - what would he be? grandfather; greatgrandfather? - from the 1790's.  You see, in my opinion, the original Reverend 1790's Trask, while vile, actually thought what he was doing was good and noble.  He was a religious fanatic, and because he believed that his religious beliefs were of the highest moral value and goodness, he would go to any lengths, including having to manipulate things and even lie, in order to see them forwarded.  It wasn't about him; it was about what he believed.

On the other hand, Gregory Trask cared only about himself.  He would present himself as high, mighty and pious, but that was just all part of what he used to benefit himself.  He would throw stones at anyone he called a sinner, but had no problem trying to seduce Rachel, murder his wife, and dispose of his new wife so he could get all the loot.  I think his ancestor would've been so appalled by what his later-generation progeny did, that he would've stuck him up on the gallows with any "witch" he could get himself to believe existed.

Gerard

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 09:25:34 AM »
Funny, I never thought of Jerry Lacy's performances as 'hammy' up until now. He certainly wasn't alone in the 'Hamminess' department.

It was probably difficult trying to work within the scenario they gave him as Trask. I mean, he had to wear that dark clothing and spout this really creepy dialogue. JL did not have that touch of acting genius (for lack of a better word) Jonathan Frid had but, he did present a rather chilling, watchful and lethally dangerous individual in a reasonable manner and he convinced me of it.
It's interesting to contrast between what happened to Barnabas and all the guilt (his most distinctive trait) he felt as a monster/vampire/killer and the total lack of guilt exhibited by Trask. Albeit I agree that Trask DID feel his cause was just but he was a predator without mercy.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 10:25:52 PM »
  I think we all have some great observations here, especially Gerard, Raineypark and PennyD (but other of you as well). The Trasks are IMO (as well) THE true villains of the series, moreso than Angelique but at least on a level with Count Petofi. One thing we have touched on is that the Reverend Trask would never have considered himself a villain. Consider what happened when he finally learned conclusively that Angelique was the real witch rather than Victoria. He sought vengeance from beyond the grave. Think about that Rev Trask was actually correct that there was a witch at Colllinwood but just too hard headed to admit he could ever be wrong about where his conclusions led him.  In many way, his other attempt at vengeance with Barnabas can even be somewhat justified. Bricking someone up is pretty horrible, even though Barnabas is ostensibly our "hero." I think the way both characters are in an actually twisted way well intentioned but terribly flawed makes them great adversaries. Compare them, for example to Astronaut Taylor and Dr. Zaius of "Planet of the Apes." Dr. Zaius is like Trask very hard headed, Zaius is right that Taylor is a serious threat to his world and beliefs, but his is wrong is denying that Taylor is who he says he is. Great heroes (or antiheroes) need a great antagonist.
   As far as acting, I think Lacey more than fulfills the need of the characters. Dark Shadows is not always subltle, although it often is more than its given credit for. I think he well defines each Trask from each other. I totally agree Gregory is a true evil, most especially from his hypocracy rather than the Reverend inflexible self centered beliefsto the point where vanity and his religious fervor are inextricably interwtined.  Gregory doesn't care about "The Almighty" in reality, and wraps himself in an artifical veneer that allow him to justify anything and blackmail at will. Lamar isn't given quite as much, and isn't quite as smart. His ego allows him to be easliy manipulated by a worse evil than his imagination could fathom. Like all the Trasks, he's just to stubborn to see the forest for the trees. I was delighted that Jerry Lacey attended the show this year as I think, even as irritating as the Trasks could be, I can't imagine too many people who could have done a better job and had such a zest for the parts. Lacey indeed does some fine acting with those eyes, brows and facial contortions. When he is theatrical, he knows the character himself is aware of it, but as a "man of the cloth, knows full well their effects. Remember Roy Thiness only agreed to play Roger Collins in '91 if he couild have the nice, juicy Trask plum in the flashbacks.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul