Author Topic: Abigails Demise  (Read 821 times)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Abigails Demise
« on: April 09, 2002, 12:21:29 AM »
Today, Abigail found out what Barnabas really is.

They showed her sitting outside ......Daniel found her ....then Naomi came over.  Did Abigail die from shock or did she have a heart attack?  

According to a post here, Naomi and Joshua were supposed to find out what really happened to Barnabas.

Did I miss that part or did they not show it today?

My son is home for Spring Break this week.  I get to see the whole segment of DS this week ........ [wow] [hello]
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Abigails Demise
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 03:38:31 AM »
Donna,

Abigail died from fright.  As for your other question...

SPOILER

Joshua won't find out what Barnabas is for several more episodes, and Naomi won't until several more after that.  These are outstanding scenes and I hope you'll be able to see them.

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Abigails Demise
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 07:17:30 AM »
thanks Midnight ....!!!

I plan on seeing every single episode ....I make it a part of my morning coffee ...... starts my day off on a bright note. [sssh] I wouldn't tell too many people that....I might get pegged as being a Dark Shadows addict ....lol [wink2]
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Abigail's Demise
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2002, 03:22:58 AM »
I think this has to be one of the all-time great moments of DS, and among the most terrifying -- Barnabas rising from his coffin and Abigail getting her comeuppance.

My jaw was agape the first time I saw this scene, and it was again seeing it for the second time (actually the third, or fourth time, since it was re-enacted at the start of the following episode).

Clarice Blackburn did a terrific job with Abigail.  She played her within the boundaries of not making her an over-the-top villain, unlike many actors still to come on the series.  Her character was believable.

Jonathan Frid matched her in this scene with a performance to make even the stout-hearted quiver and cower.  Anger and threatening -- but controlled.  (That's the quality so many of the other DS actors were often missing, I think -- keeping the character controlled -- and [shadow=red,left,300]believable[/shadow]).

As I said, one of the greatest scenes of the entire series.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Abigail's Demise
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2002, 09:01:04 AM »
I think this has to be one of the all-time great moments of DS, and among the most terrifying -- Barnabas rising from his coffin and Abigail getting her comeuppance.

My jaw was agape the first time I saw this scene, and it was again seeing it for the second time (actually the third, or fourth time, since it was re-enacted at the start of the following episode).

Clarice Blackburn did a terrific job with Abigail.  She played her within the boundaries of not making her an over-the-top villain, unlike many actors still to come on the series.  Her character was believable.

Jonathan Frid matched her in this scene with a performance to make even the stout-hearted quiver and cower.  Anger and threatening -- but controlled.  (That's the quality so many of the other DS actors were often missing, I think -- keeping the character controlled -- and [shadow=red,left,300]believable[/shadow]).

As I said, one of the greatest scenes of the entire series.

Very well said, Vlad, as always.  But at almost 1 a.m. and way past my bedtime, the only point I can add is just how gifted and overlooked an actor Clarice Blackburn is.  As Abigail, she projected a moral righteousness, albeit with great sincerity, and didn't deserve to die the way she did.  Yet when she died, many of us, I dare say, probably rejoiced, which is a tribute to her skilled performance.  And her facial expressions were priceless.

Ben
(ready for bed and quickly losing coherence)