Author Topic: CREATING COLLINSPORT 1795  (Read 1015 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
CREATING COLLINSPORT 1795
« on: April 08, 2002, 07:46:35 PM »
We know that there existed certain businesses, a place of worship, jail house, court house, Inn, ship yard etc.  in 1795 Collinsport If we were a plan developer for the town, what buildings would exists? Be creative knowing the background of DS!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: CREATING COLLINSPORT 1795
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2002, 08:22:24 PM »
We know that there existed certain businesses, a place of worship, jail house, court house, Inn, ship yard etc.  in 1795 Collinsport If we were a plan developer for the town, what buildings would exists? Be creative knowing the background of DS!

a place to donate blood to keep Barnabas happy!!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
the Collins family alone would haveRe: CREATING COLLINSPORT 1795
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2002, 08:33:02 PM »
Well, certainly a Chandler.....the Collins family alone would have kept a tribe of candlemakers in business!!

Absolutely, a Woodwright's Shop.....for the endless supply of coffins!

Probably a Bootmaker...these folks spent an awful lot of time tramping around wet cemeteries and dank woods.

An Importer of Wine and Spirits....self explanitory, I'm sure.

Probably an Apothacary in a successful whaling town... but if not, then surely an elderly woman who knew her herbs and plants, brewed chamomile teas and hyssop tisanes, boiled pennyroyal into throat lozenges and reduced pots of "leaf, twig and bark" into ointments, and salves.  And not even Trask would dare to hint "witchcraft" at such a neccesary and revered old mother.  ;D

Love the question, VAM
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2002, 11:25:26 PM »
Well, I certainly think they could use a good Paint store around. This way, they could change those green colored walls to something else.  ;D

Also, could use a local hospital around so those poor souls wouldn't have to lie in their "deathbeds" at home all the time without proper medical treatment.

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2002, 11:27:46 PM »
A butcher - the regular kind.  A mill and baker.  Tailor; silversmith; blacksmith and wagon thingy.  Union Hall for Doxies Local #534.  A bank (not the blood kind).  A post office.  Farmer's market (not only for veggies and eggs, but even the little fishies harvested from the sea).  Carpenter and furniture maker.  Undertaker.  General store to buy oil lamps, baskets, certain articles of clothing and other sundry things.  Mason.  Cable-TV service (it'll take 'em 200 years to getting around to your place anyway, and make sure you're there between eight and noon).

Gerard

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 12:38:49 AM »
There is also a ship yard, (Probably a series of buildings), Fishing shacks by the score & The meade plant, (assuming wine isnt the only drink of choice).

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2002, 12:49:02 PM »

a place to donate blood to keep Barnabas happy!!

jennifer

Talk about creativity!

Don't you think we need a milliner's shop? Natalie DuPres and Suki Forbes would just love it!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2002, 11:44:56 PM »
Hey Gang,

How about these useful places of business:

A Pizzeria - Henri Dupre just loves those calzones and zeppoles!

A Sushi Bar - Mr. Barnabas acquired a taste for raw fish during his trips to the Orient.

A Haagen-Das Ice Cream Parlor - The one place where the perpetually saturnine Abigail Collins was known to crack a smile.  Vanilla Fudge was "Abby's" favorite flavor.

A  Collinsport Cathouse - An establishment where Ruby Tate's "colleagues" can ply their "trade" safely.  Preferably, the cathouse will NOT be erected anywhere near the waters of Collinsport Bay.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who highly recomends the Masters in Public Administration Program at Prof. Stokes' university.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2002, 01:37:01 AM »
Hey Gang,

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who highly recomends the Masters in Public Administration Program at Prof. Stokes' university.

If there is a school, we definitely need a LIBRARY!