Author Topic: Dark Shadows on Outlander Tonight!  (Read 1364 times)

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows on Outlander Tonight!
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:23:37 PM »
On tonight's episode of Outlander (already available on-demand online) it's Christmastime 1968 and the character Roger turns on an episode of Dark Shadows!  On the screen, we see Barnabas lamenting to Julia about how Victoria has just returned to the past to reunite with Peter even though it will lead to her death.  The scene itself is really amusing, with lighthearted  banter exchanged between Roger and Brianna about the plot.  And the reference is so on point, because in this episode of Outlander the main character Claire is also pondering whether she should go back in time to the 18th century to reunite with the love of her life (who thankfully is def. not Roger Davis!).

There are in fact so many parallels between season 1 of Outlander and Viki's 1975 flashback.  When Claire Randal accidentally travels back in time she runs into someone who looks just like her present time husband, is menaced by a jealous blonde servant girl and there's even a witch trial.  It's fascinating to watch having seen 1975 as Claire is so much more savvy, educated and confident then Viki, yet still makes some big blunders.  I highly recommend the show. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows on Outlander Tonight!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »
Even though I've had the first two seasons on Blu-ray for ages, I've only watched the first half of the first season (it was released in two parts). I need to catch up before the current third season comes out on video...

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:17:02 AM »
I hope my post wasn't too spoilery for you, MB.  But I do recommend you keep going with Outlander, as S2 has some of the best episodes and storylines in my opinion.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:33:43 AM »
Not at all. I'm already aware of the Frank/Jack Randall twist. And the witch trial has me really intrigued to get back to it!!  [nodassent]  That and the fact that an actor I've enjoyed on an Australian soap called A Place To Call Home has joined the third season cast as Lord John Grey. I've read nothing but good things about his addition. In fact, on one of the entertainment sites I regularly visit, he was their performer of the week last week...

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »
Oh I agree, David Berry is great on APTCH, and his Lord John is my new favorite character on Outlander!   

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
An article that mentions the DS connection to last night's ep (and even features a photo of Barnabas):

Outlander: Why Claire didn't return through the stones

(And one that obviously gets into the time travel. I didn't read any of those sections because I'm sure there are spoilers.  [wink2])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DS clip on OUTLANDER
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
I presume you have all heard of this by now.  I thought it was an interesting crossover moment, given that the basic plot structure in OUTLANDER really seems to echo the whole Vicki/Peter thing on DS (which is the storyline this clip is from--somebody involved in this new series is definitely more than just a casual fan of out show):

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2017/10/dark-shadows-meets-outlander.html

I have to confess I have not seen any of OUTLANDER but enjoyed this little article and the clip.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing the link, Gothick - it's nice to see the actual clip.

Thank heavens whenever Claire slips off into the past on Outlander, the man waiting for her there is absolutely nothing like Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford!!  [nodno]  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
Thanks for moving my post to the correct thread, MB.  I was offline for about six days on one of my Canadian jaunts and didn't realize this had already been posted.

I read awhile back that in the new season, the prominent gay character of the Outlander series, Lord John something or other, is going to appear.  The only books by the author I have read were two novels featuring Lord John that were mostly spinoffs, though Jamie appeared in at least one of the books.  A friend told me about the books and I looked for them.  After the second novel, I stopped because I did not really care for the author's sense of plot and characterization.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
I'd take credit if I had moved it, but it wasn't me. I suspect dom beat me to it by about a minute, so he deserves your thanks.  [hall2_smiley]

As for Lord John Grey, I have yet to see David Berry in the role, but as I've said, I've enjoyed him on A Place To Call Home (all of the already released four seasons and look forward to the show's upcoming fifth, which just began running in Australia a few days ago) and he's been getting nothing but rave reviews for Outlander, so you might actually enjoy the show more than you did the books.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 09:42:39 PM »
It's not much of a spoiler to reveal that Lord John falls madly in love with Jamie.  I did not care for how one part of this long-drawn-out scenario was written in one of the books I read.  After I stopped, she published one where the two had to work together on something or other.  That might have been interesting.

I'm tempted to say I suspect this novelist of sadistic tendencies, but the dynamic that characterizes how she writes this type of story is very popular in such slash sub-genres as "hurt/comfort" and the like.  So, she might be working in that framework.  I have no idea.  It could just be how her mind works because I don't think she is involved much in online culture.

Thanks for the recommendation.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:56 PM »
Another article referencing DS being on Outlander:

Outlander: Into Freedom & Whisky with Toni Graphia on Twitter

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
I also didn't find the Lord John books very engaging--the general consensus among Outlander fans seems to be that the spinoff books are mostly a bore.  But from my attempt to read the first Outlander novel (I got halfway through), I discovered that the tv adaptation really elevated the material beyond the bodice-ripper genre in which the book lived.  So I assume they are doing the same with Lord John's story. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
That's nice to know, Tragic Bat.

I think Diana Gabaldon is a very competent writer, but I don't think I care for the personality she projects in her work.

G.