Author Topic: Karlen on Mannix  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Karlen on Mannix
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »
I just noticed that Karlen is to be in the episode of Mannix which just started.  He's listed as "Hood #1," so it's probably a small part.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Karlen on Mannix
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
Wouldn't you know that I record Mannix almost every weeknight. But last night when I checked my DVR to see who the guest stars were, no one that interesting was listed, so I canceled the record.  [hall2_cry]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 01:49:28 AM »
My mom never missed an episode of Mannix.  He and Lawrence Welk were the only men devout, middle-aged women could lust after without having to go to confession.  I think there was some Vatican directive about that.  By the nineties, when they were well into their senior years, it was extended to Matlock.  Oh, those sassy geriatric Catholic women! 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 03:32:09 AM »
My mom never missed an episode of Mannix - or Matlock. In fact, because Matlock was so into eating hot dogs, she would make herself one every week and eat it while she watched.  [hall2_wink]  [hall2_grin]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »
Wouldn't you know that I record Mannix almost every weeknight. But last night when I checked my DVR to see who the guest stars were, no one that interesting was listed, so I canceled the record.  [hall2_cry]

I forgot to mention that it was MeTV, but I figured it was unlikely anyone would see the post in time anyway.  That's such a shame that you canceled the recording!!  They only list a few major stars on those things.  I happened to have looked up the episode on IMDB right at the beginning, and so saw the complete cast.
Josette

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
somewhat OT but according to some of the FB pages Karlen has recently been hospitalized and is in very poor health.

just an FYI.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »
That's too bad. I'm sure we'll all be keeping him in our thoughts...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »
This is the post about John Karlen's health.  "Mad Margaret" is a fan who is close to the Karlen family.

G.

Johnny's nurse Tammi called. He was in the hospital twice last week, had a tumor removed from his bladder and is on a catheter. JK always sounds happy when I call but he's actually pretty miserable right now and often feels ready to cash in his chips. Doesn't even feel like watching TV anymore. Tammi plans to watch Daughters of Darkness (I sent him a copy for his birthday last May) in hopes of cheering him up a bit. It might be nice if you sent our guy some love (get well card, maybe any pics of you with Johnny from fests, etc.). Here's the address:
John Karlen
404 Allen Avenue.
Glendale, CA 91201
Feel free to share to other DS group pages. Thanks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 05:27:39 PM »
Sorry about the goof--the quoted post was written by Mad Margaret.  Somehow, her name got cut off when I copy & pasted.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
My mom never missed an episode of Mannix - or Matlock. In fact, because Matlock was so into eating hot dogs, she would make herself one every week and eat it while she watched.  [hall2_wink]  [hall2_grin]

MB, we had such sassy moms!  We should form a "support group."

And on a more serious note, it's hard to hear about John Karlen.  We all know that the "time will come" for all of our beloved DS cast.  The show is over 50 years old.  Even the youngest of the performers are over or near to 60.  Time is both our friend and our enemy.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 10:17:59 PM »
It doesn't seem that 50 years have passed by since many of us saw Barnabas first show up at Collinwood in 1967.  Man, how the years have flown by! [hall2_shocked]

And it makes me feel even
  older to realize that David, Amy and Hallie are all old enough to now become AARP members.   [hall2_rolleyes]

The late, great Louis Edmonds used to refer to the DS fans as the "Dark Shadows kiddies."  Maybe today, Mr. Edmonds would have called us the "Dark Shadows grey beards"?   [hall2_grin]

I hope that Mr. Karlen is feeling better and that we see him at the next DS Festival.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
Can you believe it, Bob?  We use to run home to battle our moms to watch DS over The Arl Linkletter Show or The Galloping Gourmet. We'd win.  And now it's all gone.  Where did the time go?

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:23 AM »
Gerard,

"The Galloping Gourmet," wasn't that hosted by that Australian chef, Graham Kerr?  I think my mother liked watching that show.  I'm glad my mother enjoyed seeing Joan Bennett on DS, since my mother was a fan of Ms. Bennett ever since she saw her in "Little Women" back in the 1930s. 

I tell you, I wish that we could all be back there in time, watching DS with our beloved mothers and our other family members, many of whom are no longer with us.  Yes, those were happy times, indeed.

Bob

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:17 AM »
Yup, Bob, that's who that was.  He enjoyed pouring "spirits" into his cooking.  As a matter of fact, he liked "spirits."  Sadly, it ruined his life.  My mom couldn't get enough of him.  He came on at the same time as DS.  A war started.  Somehow, I won.  I think it was, because like your mom, Bob, my mom had a thing for Joan Bennett.  She would see her on DS as I watched and said:  "Joan Bennett is on that spooky crap?"  Then she would watch.  Of course, I had no idea who Joan Bennett was.  To me she was Elizabeth, Naomi, Judith and Flora.  The Galloping Gourmet faded away.  And Art Linkletter retired. 

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 01:33:11 AM »
Hi all I used to watch Mannix too. It was a good show .
Love Anne 😊
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow