Author Topic: kls in "gatsby"  (Read 1409 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
kls in "gatsby"
« on: August 07, 2005, 07:12:30 PM »
last night i watched "the great gatsby".i hadn't seen it in many years.so it came as quite a surprise when during a party scene kathryn leigh scott appeared onscreen.done up like a flapper!

she looked so different i wasn't even sure if it was her at first.i didn't remember her ever mentioning the film in her books.but she was in the credits.if you haven't seen it give it a look.

it could have been cool if they set a storyline on d.s. in the roaring twenties too.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: kls in "gatsby"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 07:19:59 PM »
it could have been cool if they set a storyline on d.s. in the roaring twenties too.

What an inspired idea!!  Bootleggers from Canada dropping off hootch at the Collinwood Speakeasy!
Roger and Quentin playing host to the local gentry, and the ladies in flapper attire.
I have no idea what storyline would work......but the visuals would have been stunning!!  [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 01:31:36 AM »
What an inspired idea!!  Bootleggers from Canada dropping off hootch at the Collinwood Speakeasy!
Roger and Quentin playing host to the local gentry, and the ladies in flapper attire.
I have no idea what storyline would work......but the visuals would have been stunning!!  [lghy]

I could be wrong, but I believe that seances were all the rage in the 1920s.  Perhaps some sort of "seance gone wrong" plotline would have worked.

And wouldn't Liz have been a child, and Jamison an adult, in the 1920s?  They could have brought back Alexandra Moltke to play Liz's mother!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 01:46:49 AM »
cool ideas guys.

the more i think about it the more i like it.the collins family fattening thier purse with some bootlegging on the side.the blue whale as a speakeasy.and our girls in flapper attire...love it! :-*

they did alot of time-travel stuff but except for the brief 1945 arc it was mostly set in the rather distant past.
a storyline set in the 1920's...when some of the show's real characters would have been born...would be so good!

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 08:27:42 PM »
Back on AOL, a few years back (and I think one is still actively going) we used to have a DS Sim game, which is where people create a character in keeping within the Dark Shadows universe, and then role play in situations set up by a game master. With all that said, we did a great storyline set in the 1920's including Nora Collins (also an adult by now), Quentin, and my creation, Gabriel Collins III. It was the era of Alistair Crowley so I played Gabriel as a confident of Crowley, and for that matter the Castatvets (from Rosemary's Baby). We had Satanists, Leviathans, gangsters and lots of fun. I would suspect any DS revival series could well incorportate a '20s storyline.
     Nice bit of trivia, the house where Gatsby lived, which is set on Long Island, is actually in Newport not far from Salve Regina aka Collinwood. It is called Rosecliff. Newport is a great place for DS fans to spend some vacation time, and definitely take the evening haunted tour.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 04:59:58 AM »
If a new Dark Shadows had gotten back on the TV screen, I always thought it would've been neat to move the Quentin storyline from the 1890's to the 1920's (that way, too, Jamison would've remained the father of the "current" Elizabeth and Roger).  Just imagine taking what a scallywag Quentin was and putting him in the middle of the Roaring Twenties, with bootlegged and moonshined hootch, the "sexual freedom" of the time, flappers, chemise dresses and cloche hats on the female characters, Gregory Trask being a moralistic member of the KKK, jazz music, roadsters, Pansy Faye a silent pictures wanna-be movie star, et. al.  Quentin, in a beaver-pelt coat, doing the Charleston, and saying things like "Twenty-Three skiddoo!"

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 05:35:27 AM »
i didn't remember her ever mentioning the film in her books.but she was in the credits.if you haven't seen it give it a look.

Perhaps she thought the part was small enough to be forgettable, but I thought she was pitch-perfect in both scenes (if I remember correctly, one at the party, and one later in the film).  "Gatsby" is one of my favorite American novels, and when I bought the video of the movie a few years back I was terribly disappointed that the original, Academy Award-winning score had been replaced by synthesized Muzac!

I asked KLS about this at one of the festivals, but she wasn't aware of it.

If you watched this on DVD, do you know if the music was the original score?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »
"The Great Gatsby"... wasn't that with Natalie Wood? It WAS, wasn't it? Robert Redford was in this one, too, huh? Shoot. Coincidentally, just last night I was trying to think of which movie NW and RR had been in together. I guess it was Gatsby,
right? I thought it was "Gypsy" for some reason. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to get that one, too. I'm a HUGE Natalie Wood
fan.

Btw, I have some screen caps of KLS in Gatsby. If anyone wants to see 'em, just say the word and I'll post 'em. I'm rarely
on this forum, anymore, so if I don't respond within a few days, just inquire at maybellique@yahoo.com . ~DJ

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:55:57 AM »
maybellique,

it wasn't natalie wood but a young and ravishingly beautiful mia farrow paired with robert redford.
i was thinking you haven't been around lately...you should join us more often!i always laugh when i think of "magtoria".it's so genius. ;)

vlad,

i watched an old rental video so i'm not sure if it was the original score or not.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 02:11:27 AM »
By golly, youi're right! Apparently it was "This Property Is Condemned" he was in with Natalie Wood. Very sad movie. Most of her movies were, come to think of it.

Thanks! It's nice to be thought of! I was away for a while attending my first fest. :) Now, that I'm back, I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things, take care of my family and get into school. But you'll be seeing me around. ;) ~DJ

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 08:21:20 PM »
Gregory Trask being a moralistic member of the KKK,  Pansy Faye a silent pictures wanna-be movie star

I love it Gerard!!!

Patti

OMG...just picture (ha ha) Pansy Faye as a Norma Desmond type.... :o
What a Woman!