Author Topic: Nancy Barrett and her wacky dream sequences...  (Read 2116 times)

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Nancy Barrett and her wacky dream sequences...
« on: August 05, 2005, 02:30:29 AM »
I've been watching DVD Set 19, and so far Carolyn has had about 3 or 4 dreams within 20 episodes.  It got me thinking:  just how many dreams did Nancy Barrett have during the show?  I know she had a bunch during the 1897 storyline and a few before that.  I wonder which actor had the most dreams?

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy Barrett and her wacky dream sequences...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:16:31 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say Elizabeth. But, I may be incorporating all Joan Bennett incarnations.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 06:06:58 PM »
i seem to recall maggie sitting bolt upright in bed and letting out a bloodcurdling scream after a few bad dreams as well.

david had a few cool dreams during the part of the story where he was being terrorized by barnabas.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:30:20 AM »
speaking of wacky dream sequences...

i've been watching dvd collection 14(part of the 1897 storyline)and it features not just one of the most bizarre dream sequences but perhaps one of the strangest episodes of the show period.

i don't want to "spoil" anything but let's say it tells of a dream of jamison's that features,among other things,a hand puppet,a birthday cake and present-time carolyn,elizabeth and roger.

i'm sure you guys remember what i'm talking about.it was so weird!it had a really saturated color palette that hightened the dream-like quality.i had to watch it about five times because i felt like i was hullucinating...which of course i wasn't but it was intensely weird. [color]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:26:41 AM »
i'm sure you guys remember what i'm talking about.it was so weird!

I LOVE that dream sequence!  It's probably the freakiest DS sequence ever. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 05:43:55 AM »
And then there's that bizarre scene (I think it was a dream...I hope it was a dream) with Liz and David in a mirrored room with a large mechanical clown and an inadvertently visible ABC logo.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:54:43 PM »
That was during Leviathans, wasn't it? That one was really out there.

I agree that the birthday party dream of Jamison's is probably the freakiest.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »
I think it's a tie between which was more bizarre--Liz's Leviathan dream, or Jamison/David's dream.  I think the latter was more disturbing because it involved the death of a child, and the subject was handled in the dream in a matter-of-fact way that was far more chilling than the usual melodramatics (which of course we love).

I once heard no less an authority than the MB himself state he could not make head or tail of the LeviaLiz dream!  Shows you just how "out there" the thing was!

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 04:57:34 PM »
I think it's a tie between which was more bizarre--Liz's Leviathan dream, or Jamison/David's dream.  I think the latter was more disturbing because it involved the death of a child, and the subject was handled in the dream in a matter-of-fact way that was far more chilling than the usual melodramatics (which of course we love).

That dream sequence gets my vote for the single most disturbing scene in the entire series, for the reasons you note: it's so matter-of-fact, and it's about the death of a child.

Interestingly, I have no recollection of this scene from the first airing of the series (when I was in my early teens).....but it horrified me when I saw it again so many years later on Sci Fi.  I suspect the difference is all about perspective.  I was a kid the first time I saw it.  I was a mother the second.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 12:47:08 AM »
I'll just throw this one in... there's something disturbing about Gerard's induced dream just before the Blair-surrogate brings the Head into his room, maybe because it's so unnecessary.    It's gloating, maybe.    They didn't need to "prepare" Gerard to be taken over.    Saying in a dream during a casual nap that in a few seconds, this guy in a goutee is going to show up and take your life away, seems like a sadistic act just because of how unneeded it is.      GS didn't even get a chance to fully wake up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 03:25:23 AM »
I wish I could have a Dark Shadows dream sequence dream...I'd probably wake up screaming, though, and wake everyone in the dorm up!  It's funny how the Dream Curse--which was supposed to be "scary" and truly "frightening"--was probably less so than some of the dreams you guys have been mentioning.  My favourite dream, though, may actually be the one in which Rachel Drummond runs around Collinwood being chased by Carl Collins who's waving around a gigantic clock like the White Rabbit in Alice.  Either that, or the one in which "Pansity" dances with "Quentofi" in the Drawing Room to the "I Wanna Dance With You" song, while the liights change colours and all sorts of weird distortions take place.  Man, those psychedelic 60's...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 03:58:46 AM »
that, or the one in which "Pansity" dances with "Quentofi" in the Drawing Room to the "I Wanna Dance With You" song, while the liights change colours and all sorts of weird distortions take place.  Man, those psychedelic 60's...

My favorite part of that dream is when the dance ends and "Panisty" is looking into the cackling face of Petofi.  That part always cracked me up because Petofi just all-out laughs with such maniacal glee.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:15 PM »
Petofi's laugh is truly infectious.   Bordering on gangrenous.

What creeps me out as regards the Charity Faye dream is the idea that she's also dreaming as Pansy.    So who's really dreaming?    Is Charity in there too, in some hidden corner someplace, maybe dreaming also?    When dreaming, it's supposed to be your inmost self doing it, so i'd expect her to dream as Charity, but Charity is totally cancelled out even in dreams.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 01:40:20 AM »
Nancy Barrett's dreams were always entertaining. I liked the one where she and Quentin harmonize to "I Wanna Dance With You." Does anyone out there own the 45 rpm record of that gem?
As a confirmed Briscoe-holic, one dream sequence that seemed very creepy was the one little Amy Jennings had about her brother Chris (prompted by Beth's ghost). Chris is at his cottage, slumped in a chair, with Quentin's menacing spirit not far away. At some point, Amy screams and we see a bloody knife plunged into Chris' torso. The look Briscoe has on his face in the scene is both comical and horrifying at the same time - something DS always managed to do well.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 04:36:54 PM »
Nancy Barrett's dreams were always entertaining. I liked the one where she and Quentin harmonize to "I Wanna Dance With You." Does anyone out there own the 45 rpm record of that gem?

Bobubas probably does...;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"