Author Topic: Hollywood Info -- parking, sites of interest, etc.  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Hollywood Info -- parking, sites of interest, etc.
« on: July 17, 2005, 08:26:57 PM »
I hope this info is useful to some Festgoers--

The Renaissance Hollywood Hotel is located south of the 101 Fwy, and west of the 110 Fwy.  The hotel shares parking with the shops on Hollywood & Highland (Blvds.).  Entry to the underground structure is on Orange Dr. or Highland.  Access to the hotel's valet parking is on Highland Blvd.

There is no courtesy shuttle to local airports.  :-   The SuperShuttle is $15 per person to LAX.  Though closer, shuttling to Burbank Airport is a bit more expensive.   ::)  Reservations can be made at www.supershuttle.com.  Taxi is another option.  There's a subway entrance on the corner of H&H.

Hotel valet parking -- $22/day, includes in and out privileges.
Self parking -- maximum $10/day if you're leaving your car in the lot, or $15/day for in and out privileges.  Just give your parking ticket to the front desk and they will charge it to your room and give you a pass for your entire stay.  Note the level number (1-4) and the color in case you forget the former, and the letter.  Otherwise, you will be in trouble because the levels can be disorienting.  The good news is that they're clean and well lit.  After you move up to street level, you can either walk over to the hotel from there, or (highly recommended) proceed to the 3rd level of the shopping complex, where you'll find a ramp that will take you to the 2nd level of the hotel, and walk downstairs.  H&H Center staff is on hand near a few of the escalators to direct you.

The shopping is fantastic.  My personal favorites-- Coach, Build a Bear, and did I mention Coach?  ;)

There are loads of restaurants.  The hotel only has 1 AFAIK.  There's a Starbucks and the always dependable CPK (California Pizza Kitchen). Wolfgang Puck's Loggia and Vert are at the top.

The complex also boasts the Kodak Theater, home of the Academy Awards, which offers frequent guided tours.  There's a 6-screen movie theater.  An exit opens to the courtyard in front of Mann's Theater.  The DS connection:  in the east streetside corner of the forecourt is Jean Simmons' signature.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame lines both sides of the boulevard.  Joan Bennett's star is located catty-corner to the Pantages Theatre (address below).  Her star is in front of a former Department Store that has been broken up into smaller, junky storefronts/offices so I can't give an exact address.  Just start at Vine Street and walk west on Hollywood Blvd.; if you reach the Iguana (as in "Night of¢â‚¬¦") Vintage Clothing Store, you've gone too far.  A recent ShadowGram reported that Kate Jackson also has a star, and I'm sorry, but I don't think that's correct.  However, you can check out www.katejacksonstar.com for info on a fan project to get one for her.   :-

The Hollywood Sign can be viewed from the hotel.  Maybe it'll be changed to Halliewood in honor of Kathy Cody's 1st Fest appearance?  Hollyweird?  ;)  Other sites of interest are:  (For reference, the Mann Theater is located at 6925 Hwd. Blvd.)

The Hollywood Entertainment Museum is at 7021 Hwd. Blvd.

The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is at 7000 Hwd Blvd.

The Pacific El Capitan Theatre is at 6838 Hwd. Blvd.

The Hollywood Wax Museum (6767 Hwd. Blvd.), The Hollywood Guiness World of Records, and Ripley's Believe It Or Not are all near each other.

The Egyptian Theatre is at 6712 Hwd. Blvd.

Musso & Frank's Grill is at 6667 Hwd. Blvd.

Frederick's of Hollywood is at 6608 Hwd. Blvd.

The Pantages Theatre is at 6233 Hwd. Blvd. near Vine St.

The Capitol Records Tower is on Vine, north of Hwd Blvd.  You can walk inside, but there's no tour.

Collectors Book Store is at 6225 Hwd. Blvd.

The Hollywood Forever Cemetery is located at 6000 Santa Monica Blvd. The gift shop sells a map.  A partial list:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Forever_Cemetery  The gravesite of Rudolph Valentino is said to be haunted.

The Hollywood Collectors Show runs simultaneously (Sat & Sun) with the Fest.  Its new location is the Hilton Burbank Airport Center.  I do NOT see June Lockhart listed as a guest, which is good news to DS fans.  I really enjoyed meeting her at an autograph show last year.  If she brings photos, all the better, because she has some great pictures from Lost In Space, Lassie, and General Hospital.  Expect to pay (IIRC) $10 or $20 for her autograph or autographed photo.  She's a very frank lady, btw, and I'm looking forward to her reading from the Bennett biography.  See http://www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com/Burbank.htm for a complete list of guests.  It's subject to change, as guests may be added or removed (or may simply not show up).

Some reserved tickets for the Tut Exhibit at LACMA are still available for $30 but I suggest you not wait.  "Wicked" is, unfortunately, completely sold out, but if you have tickets, there's a free [evening only] shuttle to and from the Pantages.  See www.hollywoodandhighland.com for info.  The Pantages is 1 subway stop on the Red Line ($1.25 per boarding, $3 day pass).

Disneyland is celebrating its 50th birthday.  In honor of the golden anniversary, Space Mountain reopened this month, woo hoo!  Other special events, such as a specially decorated Sleeping Beauty's Castle, are listed here:  50th Anniversary Highlights

Universal Studios Hollywood.  Take the Red Line to the Universal City Station.

The nearest Olive Garden Restaurant is in Burbank on Victory Blvd.  You know who you are.  ;)

Does anyone have questions or info to add?  :D

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
Re: Hollywood Info -- parking, sites of interest, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 09:02:26 PM »
Did you say Vintage Clothing Store?

All crap or anything good?

All shopping pointers are most gratefully accepted.

I'll see you at Coach.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:47:22 PM »
The Hollywood Sign can be viewed from the hotel.  Maybe it'll be changed to Halliewood in honor of Kathy Cody's 1st Fest appearance?

You're too much!  [lghy]

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 11:07:34 PM »
I hope this info is useful to some Festgoers--

The shopping is fantastic.  My personal favorites-- Coach, Build a Bear, and did I mention Coach?

[laughing6] [laughing7] [lol3]

Bette

Life works if you let it

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 12:38:22 AM »

Hmm...how is it you know this sweetie? :-*

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 12:44:42 AM »
Patti, I'm surprised you would ask that. Don't you know a lady never tells?  :D

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 01:12:25 AM »

Sweet...{taking notes...}   >:D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 01:50:44 AM »
Did you say Vintage Clothing Store?

All crap or anything good?

The Ventura Blvd. store is hit and miss, but with this one on Hollywood Blvd... 'nuff said?  It's mostly retro stuff one might wear to the Costume Gala if dressing as one of the PT characters, but they do have a few authentic 40s, 50s, 60s dresses and accessories.

I'll see you at Coach.

Cool!

Bette knows me so well.   8)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 06:36:29 AM »
Thanks for the info, Midnite.  It's much appreciated.  I hope I will get to meet you and everyone else I haven't met yet his year.  [smlyg] Any ideas on how we can find each other easily? ???

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 09:18:51 AM »
There is a Mel's Diner diagonally across the street from the Hollywood-Highland complex in the historic Max Factor building located at 1650 North Highland Avenue.  They do have tours in this building and it is walking distance from the hotel.

Joan Bennett's star is located at 6300 Hollywood Blvd. near Vine.

The oldest restaurant in Hollywood, Musso & Frank Grill, is located at 6667 Hollywood Blvd. for those us that wouldn't be caught dead in the Olive Garden.

No Kate Jackson does not have a Hollywood Walk of Fame.  The database can be found at Hollywood Chamber's website.  Dan Curtis doesn't have one either.  My research indicates only Joan Bennett has such a star.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
Does anyone have questions or info to add?  :D

Yeah. Where are the nearest Wal-mart and Waffle House?   :-*

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 05:34:32 PM »
EmeraldRose, I would love to meet you!  I'm pretty sure I can recognize you from your avatar and will look for you.  I don't expect there'll be a huge crowd at this Fest.

Yeah. Where are the nearest Wal-mart and Waffle House?   :-*

LOL!  Hmm, I'm assuming you've already located the nearest liquor store?   >:D

If you like some bitchin' chicken with your waffles (and who doesn't?), you must check out Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles.  It's open late and has the BEST fried chicken in town, and Big Mama will cook up some grits or red beans and rice with it.  Take Hollywood Blvd. a few blocks past Vine to Gower, turn right, and the place is just before Sunset Blvd.

There is a Mel's Diner diagonally across the street from the Hollywood-Highland complex in the historic Max Factor building located at 1650 North Highland Avenue.

It's also referred to as Mel's Drive-In, cuz there's a famous Mel's Diner on the Sunset Strip.

The oldest restaurant in Hollywood, Musso & Frank Grill, is located at 6667 Hollywood Blvd. for those us that wouldn't be caught dead in the Olive Garden.

Heh, heh.  I was kidding.  I listed Musso & Frank's, but it is pricey, btw.

Thanks!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 05:45:21 PM »
If you like some bitchin' chicken with your waffles (and who doesn't?), you must check out Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles.

Are you serious? Chicken?.....and Waffles?....on the same plate?......at the same time:P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »
Are you serious? Chicken?.....and Waffles?....on the same plate?......at the same time:P

Oh, it works, I swear.  On Sundays, especially, the place is packed.

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 07:52:06 PM »
The Hollywood Sign can be viewed from the hotel.  Maybe it'll be changed to Halliewood in honor of Kathy Cody's 1st Fest appearance?  Hollyweird?
Or maybe even Collinwood.  ;) Here is a peek at my 2005 shirt design :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!