Author Topic: The July 16th Episodes (Spoilers!)  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The July 16th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« on: July 16, 2005, 09:26:39 PM »
Many fans love it when Julia slaps Cassandra in ep #535. And after all, what's not to love?  [wink2]  But I actually prefer Julia's verbal confrontation in ep #537 because Julia postively lets Cass have it with both barrels. Definitely one of Julia's (and Grayson's) finest moments.  [thumb]

A bit of dialogue in ep #798 that caught my attention in a way that I don't believe it has ever done before: "Victor" tells Aristede that he's aware of his "charms." Hmmm...  [ignore]

Watching eps #798 and #1059 back to back, it's impossible not to come away with the realization of how brilliant Thayer David was at playing the villain.

In ep #1059, one does wonder why Julia would say that the "doll" with Bruno's scarf is in Angelique's room when in ep #1040 we clearly saw Angelique use a statue to choke Bruno:
Of course, the natural inclination is simply to blame the writers' all too forgetful memories. But the writers can't necessarily be blamed for this little gaffe - it might have been Grayson's own slip up. After all, it would hardly have been the first or even last time that Grayson had mixed up some sort of item. The most recent example of it that I've seen was back on July 1st when, in ep #787, Grayson as Magda demanded that Evan give back the "book" rather than the "hand" (I love how Humbert Allen Astredo saved that). Though, to be absolutely fair, Grayson created far fewer bloopers than almost anyone. (My all-time favorite one, though, is when she says "All trace of her lice disappeared," when referring to Olivia/Amanda in ep #934, when she actually meant to say life. I howl hysterically with laughter every time I think of it!  [stfl]  Which is why I couldn't help but post the caption that I did when Heather so generously provided me with the perfect capture from ep #912 to play that gaffe up.  [b003])

But bloopers aside, the search for Julia, which is finally successfully resolved in ep #1059, ranks for me as one of the most suspenseful sequence of eps in all of DS. Back when DS originally aired, we did have our share of daytime magazines, but none of them leaked plot details or impending actor departures like they do today. Back then we had no idea when an actor/character was going to be written off their show, and my friends and I were completely on pins and needles wondering if Julia really was going to die. I remember that we were all talking about writing protest letters to DS and ABC should that happen.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The July 16th Episodes (Spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 11:04:08 PM »
I'll never forget the weekend that I spent wondering whether Julia was going to be left "to rot" in that secret room for the rest of time.  I also remember my sister making fun of Grayson's histrionics.  Talk about trying my nerves!

I remember well that wonderful scene between Victor and Aristede.  Great subtext there between the two.

I also love the scene where Julia reads Cass' beads.  And there's more fun to come when Julia begins her series of "showdowns" with Nicholas a bit later on in the story.

I'm such a dope--I missed that line about "poor" Olivia and her lice.  Ah, an excuse to view another episode again!

That's a beautiful shot of Angelexis and her fab, mod Peter Max dress!

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 11:51:43 PM »
I'm such a dope--I missed that line about "poor" Olivia and her lice.  Ah, an excuse to view another episode again!

Well, call me a dopette because I missed that one too... sorry MB.   :-[    ;)

p.s. Loving the screen caps everyday...ah, the memories...  :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 12:17:19 AM »

Well, call me a dopette because I missed that one too... sorry MB.

I just rewatched the sequence and have been laughing hysterically for the past 20 minutes. In Act II, look for:

QUENTIN

... And something even stranger - when I mentioned Olivia Corey to the clerk downstairs, he said Olivia Corey had never registered here.

JULIA

I suppose in some way Amanda was given a second chance at life. When that chance failed, all, all trace of her lice disappeared. ...

[stfl]      [stfl]      [stfl]      [stfl]      [stfl]      [stfl]      [stfl]      [stfl]

(Sadly, though, I also had to put up with the first appearance of a certain cheap, insufferable pig.  >:(  ::))

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 04:45:14 PM »
Oh, but GH is marvelous in that scene where Julia and the "pig" first meet!

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll take care to listen closely!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:24:55 PM »
Oh, but GH is marvelous in that scene where Julia and the "pig" first meet!

This is true. If only Julia had had the presence of mind to hang around longer to spy on CIP (my new abbreviation for Cheap, Insufferable Pig  ;)) and Philip so that she could have used her gloves to slap the bullying expressions right off of CIP's face when he was tormenting Philip. But alas...