Author Topic: OT...Dracula on AMC  (Read 2515 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
OT...Dracula on AMC
« on: July 16, 2005, 01:09:35 AM »
just an fyi.the 1979 version of "dracula" starring frank langella will be airing tonight(fri.7/15)at 10:00pm on the  american movie classics channel(ch.43 in the new york area).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT...Dracula on AMC
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
did anybody else catch this?

it was sooo dated!it was shot in the washed-out natural palette popular in the late 1970's.it looked like a gothic ralph lauren ad.that's not to say there wasn't beauty there as well.

but frank langella's blow-out was more than i could take. ::)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:18:48 PM »
I enjoy this version, but there are some serious plot loopholes, they kill Lucy twice for example, but most women I know LOVE Frank Langella in this. If you can find it, the BBC version circa 1974 with Louis Jordan is perhaps the best adaption of the book. It used to run on PBS around Halloween in the '70s, sometimes on one evening, sometimes as 3 1 hour shows. Not available on video in the US sadly.  [blackbat]

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 05:33:37 PM »
i do remember that when this movie first came out my mom and her friends just thought frank langella was the dreamiest.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 07:04:47 PM »
This '79 version of Dracula isn't particularly well regarded by critics, but I must say I enjoy it far more than I do Francis Ford Coppola's '92 version which is all style over substance, IMO. However, I probably prefer the '66 Hammer studio version (and subsequent series) featuring Christopher Lee over most other versions.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 09:46:43 PM »

The only thing I really liked a lot about the Langella Dracula was the John Williams score.  The film itself is so-so IMO.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 08:14:17 PM »
There were some stellar moments in the film as well as some duds.  Laurence Olivier was pretty bad.  I think Frank Langella brings lots of charisma to the role.  Kate Nelligan and he worked well together and had some chemistry as well.  [spoiler]The red lighted love scene was my favorite.[/spoiler]

I also agree wholeheartily with the opinions of John Williams.  He did do a good job with the score.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 11:46:59 PM »
I got to see a video of the Louis Jourdan version many years ago, and I'd love to see it again.  The ending is the closest to the book ever filmed, I believe.

Apart from that, some of my other favorites:

The Lugosi Dracula--the first fifteen minutes or so show you everything you ever need to know about Gothic horror.

The Jack Palance Dracula; some wonderful moments.

I think of the Hammers my current favorite is the 1969 Taste the Blood of Dracula, because it's been so beautifully restored on DVD, and Anthony Corlan (aka Higgins) makes a lusciously beautiful hero; Ralph Bates has a wonderful bit in the beginning, as well.

I've been meaning to screen again the Lee version directed by Jesus Franco, El conde Dracula.  I last saw it in the mid Seventies.  Klaus Kinski's disturbing realism in the part of a viciously deranged Renfield stood out.

G.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 12:54:20 AM »
The Lugosi Dracula--the first fifteen minutes or so show you everything you ever need to know about Gothic horror.

Amen and amen Gothick....soooo good.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 12:56:24 AM »
While we're on the topic of "Dracula"....is anyone planning to read "The Historian"?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 02:18:01 AM »
and Anthony Corlan (aka Higgins) makes a lusciously beautiful hero

He is devilishly hansome isn't he? Of the Hammer Dracula movies I have only seen three, I admit, however they are my favorite Dracula movies. Christopher Lee plays such a feral Dracula, more so like the book Dracula than anyone else to play him. I adore Legosi's Dracula and that movie (especially Dwight Frye) but Lee just is Dracula.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 02:29:15 AM »

Absolutely! And yeah, I'd watch a good Hammer film any day...thanks Steve.  :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 02:34:09 AM »
While we're on the topic of "Dracula"....is anyone planning to read "The Historian"?

I'm loving it.  The story is told through a series of letters, not unlike the Stoker novel.  Her beautiful writing carries me through the parts where the pace is slowed.  I may be a while with it yet, however, since I couldn't resist starting the Harry Potter book too.  ::)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 04:34:02 AM »

Me--I'm halfway through it now (the lecture in Budapest).  As Midnite said, it is very close to the spirit of Dracula what with the numerous travel info and the fact that the story is told through letters and journals.  A reviewer in my local paper complained that the story was too drawn out and I admit to feeling impatient with the many interruptions, but on the whole I'm enjoying the book a lot.

Another book that I've recently read and enjoyed is Fred Saberhagen's The Dracula Tape.  Like Interview with a Vampire, it involves Dracula telling a reporter his side of the story.  It follows the source material very closely but features amusing commentary from Dracula on the events Stoker depicted.  It also manages to address some inconsistencies and loose ends from the original book.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 03:39:27 PM »
Hey Arashi, Anthony Corlan actually played a vampire in the 1972 sleeper Vampire Circus (released by Hammer but has a very different flavor from the studio's usual product).  It's not officially available in the US but I bought a gorgeous, letterboxed bootleg on eBay--the colors were really beautiful, and Corlan wasn't the only lovely man in the cast.

Best, Gothick