Author Topic: The July 8th Episodes (Spoiler!)  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The July 8th Episodes (Spoiler!)
« on: July 08, 2005, 09:07:11 PM »
I've always loved how in ep #530 Sam Evans' ghost appears wearing sun glasses and a trenchcoat. Alright, I can see where Maggie MIGHT have buried her father with his sunglasses - BUT IN A TRENCHCOAT, TOO??!! Were Sam's clothes so shabby that Maggie felt she had to cover them with a coat? I think that's a bit hard to believe.  :-

Actually, though, considering that the right lapel oddly covers what David Ford was wearing underneath the coat, one has to wonder if the DS wardrobe department had prematurely disposed of all of Sam's clothes and the only alternative they had to cover up Ford's own clothes was to use that trenchcoat - no matter how ridiculous it appeared...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: The July 8th Episodes (Spoiler!)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 09:41:45 PM »
They make wonderful use of this image of Ghost-of-Sam in the Cheep Productions classic, Save our Cemeteries.

I'd never occurred that he was in that coat because they didn't have any of Sam's clothes around any longer.  Brilliant deduction, MB!

I loved Louis' turn as crazy, vicious, evil-queen Roger in the PT 1970 storyline.

Thanks again for these!

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 09:46:19 PM »
Wouldn't it have made more sense (and been simpler) if they'd just asked David Ford to come in a suit of his own?....Aren't most men buried in suits?

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 09:53:01 PM »
Sam never struck me as a character who would have even owned a suit - at least I don't *think* we ever saw him in one. But knowing how things often operated on DS, who knows if it even occurred to anyone what Sam would wear in his scenes until it was too late to plan something that would make more sense than having him in trenchcoat?  ;)  I can just picture the scene at the studio:

"OH, NO - we got rid of all of Sam's clothes - and it's too late to get anything from Ohrbachs now!"
"Don't worry, we'll just throw this trenchcoat over David's own clothes. After all, it's not like anyone is ever going to see this episode again..."

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:11:30 PM »
Sam never struck me as a character who would have even owned a suit - at least I don't *think* we ever saw him in one.

I don't think it matters one bit what Sam wore in general....in the mid 60's the idea of burying a man in jeans and a work shirt would have been too humilating for the family to endure.  It simply wasn't done back then, no matter what it took to get the suit!  Now, of course, people are as likely to skip the whole routine as not, dress the deceased in a favorite football jersey, or scatter the ashes on his beloved golf course.  But that's now.....not then.

"OH, NO - we got rid of all of Sam's clothes - and it's too late to get anything from Ohrbachs now!"
"Don't worry, we'll just throw this trenchcoat over David's own clothes. After all, it's not like anyone is ever going to see this episode again..."

Okay, NOW we're talking about the people in wardrobe who must have taken to drink after a few years of trying to make do with the budget THEY had to work with.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 12:32:18 AM »
     So Maggie buried her own beloved father as a "flasher".  What was David Ford wearing underneath that was so inappropriate? A hawaiian shirt or a " I hate DC" tee-shirt?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 12:50:58 AM »
i thought it was hilarious too that sam was buried wearing those stupid sunglasses. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 02:37:50 AM »
My father always had this comment. "Bury me in a three piece suit, but when I pay you a visit from the beyond. I'll be wearing bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt."

Who knows perhaps Sam didn't like what he was buried in and thought he'd look better in shades and a trench coat.

Just my weird thoughts encouraged by my father.

FireRose

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 10:10:44 PM »
It simply wasn't done back then

It's really amazing when one thinks about how dramatically so many things have changed in the past 40 years.