Author Topic: A preponderance of redheads on DS....  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
A preponderance of redheads on DS....
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:40:38 PM »
I'm surprised that no one has noticed the unusually high ratio of red-haired actress on DS.  There have been many a legendary flamehaired beauty on TV shows as regulars over the decades ( Lucille Ball, Amanda Blake, Linda Kaye Henning, Gillian Anderson, Stefanie Powers, Bonnie Franklin, Carol Burnett, Tina Louise, Cynthia Nixon, Gates Mc Fadden, Alyson Hannigan), but for one show to have over three redheads in its cast over five years is most unusual!  Consider the following:

Kathryn Leigh Scott
Clarice Blackburn
Grayson Hall
Marie Wallace
Donna Wandrey
Virginia Vestoff

Most of these actresses worked in several different storylines in major roles- sometimes in dark wigs (Clarice as Mrs. Johnson, Grayson as Magda), but sooner or later you saw that red showing.  (Yes, we did get to see Clarice's natural hair color in NODS!)   Even Grayson herself realized that there was at least one redhead too many on the show when she first met Donna Wandrey and said "Oh, God- not another redhead!"

That got me thinking:  Hitchcock had his blondes, but perhaps on DS Dan Curtis had his redheads!  Does anyone know if Dan's wife Norma is a redhead???

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: A preponderance of redheads on DS....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 07:35:21 PM »
Yes I noticed that...

But that was good news for me... Because in school I was the only girl with red hair... The fact that everyone liked DS spared me all the jokes that go along with having that color of hair.

FireRose

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 03:57:10 AM »
Didn't KLS hair color change  . .it was red at one point . .maybe she caught on to Dan's jen for the flame. . .but it seemed to go back to light brown---
Julia99

Offline TheShroud

• Yours in Mystery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 09:56:49 PM »
I suspect that either Dan Curtis or the casting director liked red-haired actresses.  And their choices were all certainly good ones, too.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
and don't forget harry johnson!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:25 PM »
I hated my red hair as a kid I was teased!!  However, when I got into my early twenties..I started to embrace it.  And now people pay all kinds of money to have there's my color.   So to all who teased me for being gay and redheaded! [ghost_tongue] [plasma]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »
and don't forget harry johnson!

Please don't remind us!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:49:52 PM »
I noticed that also being a redhead myself.  Most of the brown haired actors came across as redheads on our ancient  color t.v so I was later surprised to learn that  they were not.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times