Author Topic: OT: Deaths of UFO veteran actors  (Read 705 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Deaths of UFO veteran actors
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »
Greetings.

I'm aware that there are a few other folks here who are fans of the 1969-1970 Gerry Anderson series UFO (which aired on CBS, I believe, in 1972, and was subsequently seen in occasional syndication, including stints on the Sci Fi channel in the 1990s).  Today I learned that the two lead actors on the series, Ed Bishop (who portrayed Commander Straker) and Michael Billington (who played Colonel Paul Foster) both died last week in a strange coincidence.

Michael Billington, aged 63, died on Monday June 6 in complications from cancer.  Ed Bishop, aged 72, died as a result of a sudden viral infection while in hospital following surgery on Tuesday, June 7.  Marc Martin, a veteran fan of the series, received confirmation from their families that the men died earlier this week.  It was reported on the Scarlet Street magazine site on Wed. I believe.

Apparently, the families are waiting to issue official obituaries due to concerns for privacy.

I'll miss both Ed and Mike a lot.  Their performances on UFO have cheered many otherwise dreary hours in my life.  I like to think of them in some twinkly, silvery heaven, served cocktails from angelic waitresses attired in the trademark UFO purple wigs with matching eyeliner and plunging-neckline space suits.

Steve

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Deaths of UFO veteran actors
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 05:36:51 PM »
Thanks for conveying this information. Sorry to hear more sad news.  :'( I remember watching the series in my middle school days. I still have the View Master reels (of this & DS too). I haven't seen the show in years, but I have very fond memories. Ed Bishop had a great presence on the show. To be honest, I liked it better than Space:1999 as it moved along at a  faster pace. Plus, the purple wigs were pretty attractive on the ladies.

Michael 
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Deaths of UFO veteran actors
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »
My goodness, I haven't thought about UFO in years, if not decades.  I remember that the aliens breathed a liquid atmosphere, and wore helmets filled with the substance.

Gerard