Author Topic: Gross Interview with Costello or DiCenzo?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Gross Interview with Costello or DiCenzo?
« on: June 01, 2005, 06:50:55 PM »
Hoping someone can help me here. . i recall reading an interview with Robert Costello and/or George DiCenzo in an Edward Gross book about casting Grayson on DS . ..it differs from other published reports .. does anyone recall the interview i'm talking about and have a copy of it?
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Gross Interview with Costello or DiCenzo?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 08:21:06 PM »
Hmmm - did DiCenzo do a DS Files interview with Gross? Perhaps he did and I just don't remember it (after a while it seemed like Gross kept asking the same questions and the interviewees kept giving the same answers, so a few of the interviews tend to blur together). If he did I must have it because I have all the books in the DS Files series. But I definitely remember the Costello interview. What would you like to know?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:00:46 PM »
I have a copy of Costello's interview on my hard drive (because I posted it back in the forum's VantageNet days) and just looked through it. Sorry to say that he doesn't mention anything about casting Grayson.  :(

If it wasn't DiCenzo, perhaps it was director John Sedwick? Or perhaps the story your thinking about was published in what I like to refer to as the DS Files companion books: the DS Tribute book and the DS Lives book. But at any rate I'll try to check them all out as soon as I get a chance...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:25:15 PM »
Julia darling, you're thinking of the transcription of Bob Costello's talk at a DS festival back in the Eighties.

I don't believe Gross ever interviewed George di Cenzo, but I could be wrong...

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »
okay there are two things to clarify . .who at the 86 Fest ..is that Costello or DiCenzo who said Grayson was a great broad?

And secondly, I did read an interview in . .. that said something entirely different than the party line on how GH got her job.  it involved a friend and a bar . ..now was that also in the 80s and was that DiCenzo or Costello? 
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 10:07:43 PM »
Believe it was diCenzo who had the gutsy broad line... and the story on Grayson being in that bar was from Costello.  The transcript was published in TWODS--I'll fax it to you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 10:56:38 PM »
The transcript was published in TWODS--I'll fax it to you.

Thank you, Gothick - that lets me off the hook!  ;)

A word of caution though: this is hardly news but, unfortunately, too many of the stories that have been related at the various Fests have been way off the mark so far as what actually took place either on camera on DS or behind the scenes (i.e. Sam Hall did not begin working on DS before Grayson, a boy and a girl did not discover a ghost in The Old House attic in the pre-Barn eps, there wasn't ever an episode during Sam Evans' last days where David Ford suddenly sat bolt upright in Sam's hospital bed and demanded to know where the telepromper was, etc.  ::)) so, if something flies in the face of what was widely known while DS was originally on the air, it's probably best to take the different version with a grain of salt.  :(