Author Topic: Julia's big boo-boo in HODS  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Julia's big boo-boo in HODS
« on: June 01, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
I was watching a tape of HODS the other day, and as was watching Julia's death scene for the umpteenth time, I realized something that I should've realized from Day One-

If you've just given a vampire a really nasty injection and are planning to leave town, be sure to wear a cross!  (or at least have one nearby)

I mean, when Julia first confronted Barnabas with the truth about his vampirism, she carried a cross for protection.  Okay, one can argue that when Julia gave Barnabas that triple injection it was "spur of the moment", but logically one must think that Julia should've been aware of the consequences to a better degree.  Yes, she's packing her bags to get away from Barnabas right afterwards, but she should've put garlic all over her room, wore at least one cross on her person, and packed some Holy Water, too!

I wonder- were Hall & Russell aware of this plot loophole?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Julia's big boo-boo in HODS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 06:53:52 PM »
I wonder- were Hall & Russell aware of this plot loophole?

It's not a loophole in the plot of THIS movie.

If they'd wanted Julia to survive at that point, they'd have been making ANOTHER movie, with an entirely different outcome.  And, one could assume, she'd have been wearing an entire braid of garlic around her neck.

Julia wasn't wearing a cross or garlic because that's the way they WANTED it.

Speaking strictly in terms of what the doctor should have done, well, this is a woman who is experimenting on a Vampire.  She's obviously condemned herself with her own hubris.  She's confused his willingness to co-operate, with her being able to "control" him.  I think she comes to the appropriate end, considering the appalling  risk she was taking.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:45:12 PM »
Okay, one can argue that when Julia gave Barnabas that triple injection it was "spur of the moment", but logically one must think that Julia should've been aware of the consequences to a better degree.

Well, these "crimes of passion" aren't usually well-thought-out.  When you're emotionally distraught, wracked with jealousy, etc., you often don't stop to think about practical matters such as crosses and garlic.  (I know I don't.)

[nut]

[wavey]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:55:03 PM »
Yes, she's packing her bags to get away from Barnabas right afterwards, but she should've put garlic all over her room, wore at least one cross on her person, and packed some Holy Water, too!

As I watched this scene I thought Julia had merely mistimed when the injection would take effect, she most likely felt she had plenty of time to leave Collinwood long before Barnabas discovered her
betrayal... her woman scored trick backfired for sure.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 02:37:22 AM »
I always took it that Julia hoped that the overdose would kill Barnabas, not revert him back.

Gerard

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 05:48:13 AM »
I think she genuinely beleived that she would get away first; and given her developed love for Barnabas, she more than likely wouldn't have let a cross anywhere near her bedroom.  But yes, it was spur of the moment and therefore must necessarily not have been logical in the first place.  I don't think the scene should have been drawn out with Julia brandishing a cross and Barnabas having to chase her down, either. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »
I personally thought the whole on-screen strangling was gratuitous and over-the-top, but that could be said of the entire climactic 20 minutes or so of that movie.

btw, don't forget that the original plan in 1967 DS was to have Julia die at the hands of Barnabas.  The fact that she's headed "right for death" is alluded to in at least one episode voiceover (I think it's the one that shows Julia pondering Sarah's mob cap at the beginning?).

G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 03:00:07 PM »
What Julia should have done was pack her bags BEFORE she [spoiler]gave Barnabas that injection that made him revert back to being a vampire,[/spoiler] get in her car immediately afterwards and get the heck out of Collinsport and go as far away as we can.  Maybe Barnabas would still have gotten her anyway, but she would have had at least more time  and more of a chance to try and get away.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:42:43 AM »
I personally thought the whole on-screen strangling was gratuitous and over-the-top, but that could be said of the entire climactic 20 minutes or so of that movie.

I totally agree I hate it and it pains me to watch this scene because if I parallel it with life, Grayson was killed by horrid disease called cancer and in the original series she is not killed and forever alive as Julia Hoffman.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/