Author Topic: In your own defense  (Read 1255 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
In your own defense
« on: April 04, 2002, 06:38:10 PM »
It's been a while! Been too busy to watch DS, so there goes another run of 1795 I haven't been able to see....

Finally got a chance to sit down and turn on the television today, so, here's a question. Forgive me if anyone else has already posted something like this.

If, by some odd chance, YOU were transported back to 1795, what would you tell people?

Myself most likely, I would play mute. Just DON'T TALK. Opening your mouth would almost immediately give yourself away because the style of speech then was very different from our "modern" tongue.

OR if you were accused of witchcraft, plead guilty! I don't think they've ever hanged a confessed witch, because you are taking measures to "save yourself". Take a lesson from Tituba.

OR if you are an idiot and claim you've come from the future, claim that in the future, you do this sort of thing all the time. That time travel is really actually very commonplace and EVERYONE owns a time machine.

Anyone else have any ideas?

~Arashi

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: In your own defense
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 07:09:48 PM »
Having come across time travel plots in several books and movies, I honestly don't know how I'd react if I was transported, say to 1795.  Of course, knowing that there were no fast food restaurants around or Krispy Kreme donuts, I'd probably start screaming in horror and end up committed to an asylum.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 08:33:53 PM »
It's been a while! Been too busy to watch DS, so there goes another run of 1795 I haven't been able to see....

Finally got a chance to sit down and turn on the television today, so, here's a question. Forgive me if anyone else has already posted something like this.

If, by some odd chance, YOU were transported back to 1795, what would you tell people?

Myself most likely, I would play mute. Just DON'T TALK. Opening your mouth would almost immediately give yourself away because the style of speech then was very different from our "modern" tongue.

OR if you were accused of witchcraft, plead guilty! I don't think they've ever hanged a confessed witch, because you are taking measures to "save yourself". Take a lesson from Tituba.

OR if you are an idiot and claim you've come from the future, claim that in the future, you do this sort of thing all the time. That time travel is really actually very commonplace and EVERYONE owns a time machine.

Anyone else have any ideas?

~Arashi

i'm with you Arashi after the shock of being there I'd run to change my clothes because you would know that would totally freak people out to see legs!Also being mute is good idea telling peolple you are from the future
bad idea :o
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 10:33:47 PM »
I wouldn't want to bring too much attention to myself either, so the 2nd thing I'd want to do, after changing clothes, (and this is my pet peeve about Vicki) would be to lose the 20th century hairstyle.

Of course, the dearth of attractive shoes would make me do whatever it took to get back to my own time ASAP!!!

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2002, 06:13:32 AM »
ky, Midnte, since you brought up shoes, and are native, can I assume that I will shamefully have the most obscene amount there this year?

Nancy
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - shoes!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2002, 06:32:00 AM »
ky, Midnte, since you brought up shoes, and are native, can I assume that I will shamefully have the most obscene amount there this year?

Hee hee, yes, I think it's your year!  But you might want to check over your shoulder for ThomJ.  Has anyone heard from him lately, btw, and whether he's coming to the Fest?

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2002, 09:04:05 AM »
I wouldn't want to bring too much attention to myself either, so the 2nd thing I'd want to do, after changing clothes, (and this is my pet peeve about Vicki) would be to lose the 20th century hairstyle.

Of course, the dearth of attractive shoes would make me do whatever it took to get back to my own time ASAP!!!

I forgot about shoes Midnite!I was shoe shopping today
and bo ught a few more (had to have) 1795 there were probalythree styles and who saw them anyway! There was no Victoria's Secret either(we know our Vicki can't keep one why tell anyone "oh I'm from the future!")LOL

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2002, 09:42:27 AM »
I certainly agree about the keeping quiet part.  I'd say as little as possible and listen and soak up as much as possible from everyone else.  I certainly wouldn't tell everyone I met that they look just like someone I know and that so-and-so is supposed to marry such-and-such person or whatever!!  Once I had a better feel for the times and what these people are like, I could try to blend in more and start talking a bit!!

I nearly blew my top at her today - I didn't remember her blurting out at the trial that "I've hurt enough people already!"  Of course, it's in the passion of the moment and she didn't think of what she was saying, but wow!!  On top of all her troubles, if that didn't sound like a confession, I don't know what would!!!!
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2002, 09:59:33 AM »
I liked your view Arashi,  :) especially the part about "taking a lesson from Tibuta." As I recall, Tibuta was a maid, who along with others had been accused of witchcraft during the witchcraft trials. As it turned out, the others who were claiming their innocence, wound up being hung anyway, while Tibuta who confessed to it, was freed of the charges. (makes no sense, but thats how it was)   Anyway, it would have been better for Vicky to just keep quiet for awhile until she learned how to fit in. :-X I definetely wouldn't go around telling everyone's future! That was a big mistake! If accused of witchcraft, as Vicky was, she should have taken a lesson from the real witch herself, Angelique.  Ang put on such an act that Trask actually thought she was having a "spiritual revelation!" ?!?  Now Im sure Vicky could have done that. Coming from modern times, it would have been easy to put on a great show like that. ;D
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2002, 05:37:10 PM »
I had to make a comment about the picture in sheenasma's post - that is a beautiful cat!

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2002, 06:18:24 PM »

~Arashi

Assuming I had the presence of mind to realize it was best to keep my mouth shut after suffering the shock of what's happened, I think staying mute is the best thing.  The Collins family would not have confused Vickie with the impending governess since the names were different, and Vicki would not be expected to explain where the other governess was.  The family in 1795 might ask Vicki questions and ask her to write things down. I guess she could pretend she was illiterate . . .or indicate that she has lost her memory (as opposed to her mind).  

At any rate, I would not take a chance that anyone would believe the truth.  Joshua's reaction was priceless, and very realistic.

Nancy

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2002, 08:28:38 AM »
Mary Warren here (high school production of The Crucible) and I agree, going with the flow of those who change their testimonies to save their behinds is the best way to go to avoid the gallows! ;)

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]

Wishing that David Selby was John Proctor in HER high school production of The Crucible!  Would've been some special back stage fun fer sure!

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"