Author Topic: Black Leather - Friday the 13th Special (partly DS-related)  (Read 1216 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
BLACK LEATHER PRESENTS:
Penny Dreadful's FRIDAY the 13th SPECIAL
91.1 FM WSMU 12PM-3PM Eastern Time
live webcast www.wsmu.org

Friday the 13th is kind of like Halloween, except without the costumes, without the candy, and with only half the instances of demonic possession - BUT - on the bright side, you get THIRTEEN times the bad luck!

With that in mind, tune in to 91.1 FM WSMU North Dartmouth, MA on Friday May 13th from 12 to 3 PM Eastern Time, or listen live online at www.wsmu.org for a three hour dose of horror movie and horror tv theme music, horror-themed rock ¢â‚¬Ëœn' roll, and for the very unlucky - creepy novelty tunes!

And especially for Dark Shadows fans, I'm spinning several songs inpired by, or with references to our favorite ghoulish TV show!

Also, for DS fans here on the board, be on the lookout for a very cool surprise I'll have coming up in the next few days.

Ill-Fatedly,
Penny Dreadful
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Black Leather - Friday the 13th Special (partly DS-related)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:19:01 PM »
Also, for DS fans here on the board, be on the lookout for a very cool surprise I'll have coming up in the next few days.

Hmmm - sounds intriguing.  ;)

And I'll certainly try to listen to as much of your show as I can. I'm looking forward to several of the songs that you've talked about because I've never heard them.  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 03:01:32 PM »
Sorry to say I am just now seeing this announcement.  Very sorry I missed the show!

Apparently there was a band that did a song about Angelique a few years back.  I remember seeing a picture of Lara Parker posing with the band members in Shadowgram.  Now, I want to say that one of the people in the band was her son, but I could be completely wrong about that.  My memory is just crumbling to bits these days...

Back in 1969 or 1970 a single entitled "Barnabas Collins Love Bandit" was released.  Talk about a groovy ghoul!  (A discussed answer-disc, Quentin Collins Butt Pirate, apparently went nowhere, alas.)

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 03:15:59 PM »
I was looking forward to hearing your show, Pennydreadful.....but despite his best efforts, my husband coudn't access the online broadcast.... :(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:03:43 PM »
[pout] I had to miss it.   :-    And I was SO looking forward to it.  I bet the show was amazing, and I hope you had a great time. [/pout]

Gothick, there's a topic about PennyD's songlist that I think you might enjoy:

Songs about DS or with DS references

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:28:31 PM »
 Sorry you missed it!  But I do have something kind of cool coming up, either later on tonight or early tomorrow, so keep a lookout here on the Calendar forum for a new thread.

Gothick, LOL!  Maybe my band will have to do the "Butt Pirate" song.  The band you mentioned is called the Majenta Jets.  And Kenya Collins did the "Love Bandit" song.

Raineypark, sorry your husband couldn't access the live broadcast.  WSMU has an iffy webcast from what I'm told.  Some people catch it with no difficulty, and others can't get it to play.  I'll have to talk with the tech director about that at the next meeting.

Midnite, I'll probably do something similar around Halloween.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 07:24:37 PM »
Great! so... any frank thoughts on the Majenta Jets and their Angelique song?  I think it said that they included a snippet of LP's actual dialogue from the show on it?

G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 03:20:50 AM »
Great! so... any frank thoughts on the Majenta Jets and their Angelique song?  I think it said that they included a snippet of LP's actual dialogue from the show on it?

The Majenta Jets song does indeed start with a snippet of LP as Angelique.  The Damned's song "End of Time" also starts with an Angelique clip.

As for what I thought of the song, it was ok.  It was my favorite song on the album, but that might just be my bias because it's about Angelique.  Majenta Jets are sort of what I like to call "Goth Lite."  Kind of like the Cocteau Twins meets 4 Non Blondes.  Indy rock with a slightly melancholy edge.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD