Author Topic: Make up madness....  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Make up madness....
« on: April 04, 2002, 06:29:07 AM »
Wow, did they pile the make up on Barnabas for todays first episode.  He looked like a racoon.  I started humming Rocky Racoon while watching.  His face was so white it looked like they had used plaster of paris on him.  Why did he still have the kane in his had while trying to grab Josette.  Most people would hav dropped it.  I guess I am tired and picky tonight,

Birdie--time to take this picky pain to bed.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Make up madness....
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 08:01:43 AM »
Wow, did they pile the make up on Barnabas for todays first episode.  He looked like a racoon.  I started humming Rocky Racoon while watching.  His face was so white it looked like they had used plaster of paris on him.  Why did he still have the kane in his had while trying to grab Josette.  Most people would hav dropped it.  I guess I am tired and picky tonight,

Birdie--time to take this picky pain to bed.

Not touching the cane question here . . . I may do an idle thoughts, hadn't planned on it, but Millicent's black bows are making my fingers itch  ;D

The makeup.  I would dearly love to know what the deal was with that.  There are days when people look good, then there are days when they seem passable and then there are the days when they look like Baby Jane.  

If it was always the same people, then there might be some sense here, but it seems to be a largely hit or miss thing.  Were the makeup people vision impaired and some days they forgot their glasses?  ?!?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 11:09:23 PM »
judging from the amount of mascara on Barnabas and Trask, Dan Curtis must own stock in Max Factor.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2002, 02:25:30 AM »
This may not make any sense to anyone other than me ... but I think that Vinny Loscalzo (who did the makeup until, roughly, the last year of the series) was sometimes going for "artistic" effects that related to the events of a specific episode.   So Barnabas when the action of the episode called for his "vampiric" nature to be to the fore, got the heavier, more theatrical makeup.

And Josette got extra heavy eyeshadow when grief for Jeremiah or longing for Barnabas had gotten the better of her.

I personally think this kind of thing can be effective.  I guess my powers of suspension of disbelief are higher than average, plus I have to admit that I love theatre and this is one of the more theatrical touches on DS.

16 magazine once ran an interview with Vinny Loscalzo, and he showed a photo of Barnabas that had makeup notes on it he had made, ostensibly for days when he was ill and somebody else needed to pile on the greasepaint.

I believe that Grayson somewhere or other mentioned that on some days those who did not have special makeups to wear did their own.  On days when the actresses have more "natural" use of makeup, it may reflect a day when the actresses were doing their own faces because Vinny was needed to do the werewolf, or an aging effect, or something else special.

Also, don't forget that it was the Sixties.  The eye makeup in 1795 and 1897 is often very 1960s!

I did think that some of the makeup was truly amazing.  Not just feats like resuscitated Josette or aging Cassandra, but more understated stuff like Old Stokes of 1995, or the ghost makeup that made dead Quentiin look incredibly different from the living breathing version.

Well, that's my "counterpoint" to the endless complaints y'all have to offer about the makeup!

Steve

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2002, 07:22:10 PM »
I don't know who did what make-up and when, but I can just see the artist who got to do Josette's return from the grave, tap-dancing with delight at the prospect of constructing that eyeball....sheeeesh!!  Could they have gone any further overboard?

I remember the very first time today's episode was broadcast very well....because the sound of me and Abbeymarch shrieking in the living room caused my poor Mother to drop and smash a teacup and saucer (does anyone else remember when we didn't drink tea from mugs?) in the kitchen.  She came running, but raised neither her voice, nor a hand, when she saw what we were screaming at.

God, my Mother was a patient woman!!  :)

Raineypark  

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2002, 09:16:22 PM »
This may not make any sense to anyone other than me ... but I think that Vinny Loscalzo (who did the makeup until, roughly, the last year of the series) was sometimes going for "artistic" effects that related to the events of a specific episode.   So Barnabas when the action of the episode called for his "vampiric" nature to be to the fore, got the heavier, more theatrical makeup.

And Josette got extra heavy eyeshadow when grief for Jeremiah or longing for Barnabas had gotten the better of her.

I personally think this kind of thing can be effective.  I guess my powers of suspension of disbelief are higher than average, plus I have to admit that I love theatre and this is one of the more theatrical touches on DS.

16 magazine once ran an interview with Vinny Loscalzo, and he showed a photo of Barnabas that had makeup notes on it he had made, ostensibly for days when he was ill and somebody else needed to pile on the greasepaint.

I believe that Grayson somewhere or other mentioned that on some days those who did not have special makeups to wear did their own.  On days when the actresses have more "natural" use of makeup, it may reflect a day when the actresses were doing their own faces because Vinny was needed to do the werewolf, or an aging effect, or something else special.

Also, don't forget that it was the Sixties.  The eye makeup in 1795 and 1897 is often very 1960s!

I did think that some of the makeup was truly amazing.  Not just feats like resuscitated Josette or aging Cassandra, but more understated stuff like Old Stokes of 1995, or the ghost makeup that made dead Quentiin look incredibly different from the living breathing version.

Well, that's my "counterpoint" to the endless complaints y'all have to offer about the makeup!

Steve

it does seem to me that he was going for the dramatic
look too Steve if you look at Barnabas on the days he is suppose to be most evil his makeup is packed on! must have been hell to get off>
jennifer
The sixites remember Pet Clark, Twiggy, Dusty and Nancy S.
That white lip gloss!!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline abbeymarch

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2002, 03:28:58 AM »
Well, I'm having trouble with the quote button today, so I'll just wing it......
The make-up of the sixties.....
Yeah, I did my share of Twiggy lashes & white lipstick...Raineypark,you remember the white lipstick, don't you?
Mostly, I used to use it & other colour lipsticks as eyeshadow (well, you just couldn't get a good pink or orange eyeshadow!!), & Ms Rainey used to yell at me that I was going to go blind!! She was probably right, but since I was halfway there already, who cared??!!
The DS make-up.....
I think it was partly because they were mostly theatre folk, and stage makeup has to be overly exaggerated so that it can be seen from the back of the theatre (Thank you Gerald J. Kirby).
I think they just didn't tone it down quite enough for the TV camera. TV lights create a whole other animal. No pun intended.

And Rainey, That eye must have been so gross that I just blocked it out. I don't have the faintest clue as to what we were screaming about, but I do recall, now that you mention it, the tea cup incident.
Do you suppose the ubiquitous rollers were a device to hide the Halo? She really wasn't of this earth, your mother (my "Other Mother").
Abbeymarch