Author Topic: "Potential new DS movie"  (Read 8800 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: "Potential new DS movie"
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2005, 06:34:28 AM »
 As Barnabas'Bride said, the film to look at would be 'Sleepy Hollow' when trying to imagine what the Burton/Depp pairing might be like in a DS remake.  I look forward to Willie Wonka.  I enjoyed the original film a great deal, and this one looks even more outlandish and bizarre.  It does look like they're kind of doing a piss-take on Michael Jackson, which is kind of funny.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2005, 06:50:29 AM »
Depp looks kinda creepy. Not Barnabas creepy but icky creepy. I think I may see the film out of curiosity. I would be interested in everyones first impression upon seeing the trailer.

That's what I thought too -- eww!  (LOL!)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2005, 11:01:22 AM »
     Depp looks kinda creepy. 

I was 18 years old when the FIRST "Willy Wonka" was released and I always thought THAT movie was pretty creepy.  My daughter, on the other hand, thinks it's hilarious, and has every intention of seeing the new one, especially because of Mr. Depp.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »
It really doesn't make a good comparison to a DS film with Depp and Burton. If something is to be compared, I think Sleepy Hollow would be the better choice (it achieved a really beautiful gothic tone, IMO), and even then, their DS would have an atomsphere all its own I'm sure.

I didn't remember that these two have worked together before. Didn't see Sleepy Hollow, but that's no excuse for not retaining what I read in posts/replies (in this thread even!  ::) ).

I really should listen to my inner voice when it tells me not to post something.  :-

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2005, 02:41:59 PM »
I didn't remember that these two have worked together before.. 

Besides 'Sleepy Hollow' and 'Willy Wonka,' they also worked together in 'Edward Scissorhands' and 'Ed Wood'.  Depp will also provide voice talent in Burton's upcoming stop-motion fim 'The Corpse Bride' which looks fantastic judging from the trailer.  I really like the pairing of these two (along with Danny Elfman's scores).  They seem to share an interest in depicting these great macabre outsider characters, who all have their hearts in the right places, but are perceived as freaks by the outside world. 

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2005, 03:00:54 PM »
That's one movie we're definitely, at least, planning to see. But this last time with Star Wars, Ep III we had arranged for my MIL to take care of our little baby, and she kind of made vacation plans at the last minute. Arrrgh! Anyway, we think we'll be seeing it on Monday.
She wants to make ammends for forgetting the last time. In fact, she felt so bad, she didn't even go on vacation...

Willy Wonka was a childhood fave of mine, so even if we don't get to see it on opening day (i love opening day!!), we'll see it sometime
soon after... hopefully. ;) ~DJ

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »
I don't think I'd like to see Tim Burton or Depp do a DS project, TBH. I guess that's the problem with so-called "dream" choice - it's all a bit obvious.  However it's approached, it'd just be "Sleepy Hollow" deja vu.

I don't think that a fan actor/director is a good match, as the ghosts of the old show limit the scope. Look at the 1991 show - for me at least, virtually all its shortcomings have the vibe of Dan Curtis insisting "Dark Shadows *has* to be done this way!"

The fact is, there are no rules. If you want to do a new DS, it should be something as different and imaginative as the original was in its day - and you can't do that if you're treading in 40 year old footsteps.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2005, 06:54:04 PM »
I agree that it should be different and imaginative, but I think that Depp and Burton could make it those things, even if they are fans of the original show. I think they would respect the source material, but would come up with their own creative spin. Neither seem to be the type to copy something too closely, IMHO. I don't think their DS would be too much like Sleepy Hollow (maybe in atmosphere, which would be fine with me), nor would it stick too close to the original series. I see them doing their own thing if they can.

Out of all the big name actors out there, Depp would likely be my first choice to play Barnabas in a DS film. His talent and creativity with a part never ceases to impress me.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2005, 12:05:47 AM »
......and in the end we always come back to the eternal problem with remakes: how do you balance the need to be innovative, with the need to be authentic to the original production?

It's the reason I dread movie versions of books I love, and why I don't really know what to wish for in terms of a "new" Dark Shadows.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2005, 06:27:30 AM »
While I think Depp is a terrific actor, the big star that I think would be a brilliant Barnabas is Hugh Jackman. And no, not VAN HELSING Hugh Jackman- KATE & LEOPOLD Hugh Jackman...He basically IS Barnabas in that movie. It's like the proverbial hand and glove.

If I was directing the movie, my first offer would be to him. Hands down.

If you've seen the movie, you know exactly what I mean, even if you didn't like the film.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »
Darren, thanks for mentioning this.  I haven't seen any of Jackman's projects (the ones I have heard about have all been the kind of blockbuster things that put me to sleep) but I *have* been wanting to see him in something because I'm so intrigued by what the Divine One would call his "physical attributes."

I'll be sure to put Kate & Leopold on my list of movies to rent!

Thanks,

Steve

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »
Darren, thanks for mentioning this. 

I'll be sure to put Kate & Leopold on my list of movies to rent!

Ditto.

I like Jackman a lot. I have seen (most of) Van Helsing, but the Jackman I am familiar with is the Talk Show circuit Jackman - I fell "in love" with him. ( ::) )

That said, I can't picture him in the role of Barnabas. So I am now very eager to catch him in K&L.

Has anyone else seen K&L and come away with the same impression as Darren?

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2005, 10:11:07 PM »
I will be watching Kate and Leopold as soon as I can. I wanted to see this movie anyway. I also want to point out that Johnny Depp is a great actor every one of his characters is different from any of his other characters. Compare is Capt Jack from Pirates of the Caribean to Ed Wood, Compare his Gilbert Grape to his character in Chocolat. He was great in From Hell, and this character was completely different from the character he played in Sleepy Hollow. I have yet to see Finding Neverland, but I'll give you my feedback after I see Kate and Leopold and Finding Neverland.

I think that Depp would be able to make a believable Barnabas, and at the same time make him his own.

Misa

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2005, 11:29:32 PM »
That's why I love Johnny Depp - the way he effortlessly plays different characters. When I'm watching him onscreen, I never see "Johnny Depp playing ___ (insert character name)" , I always see that character. I think he possesses a lot of talent, and has what it takes to play his own version of Barnabas.

I've seen bits and pieces of Kate & Leopold, but Jackman has never really struck me as someone to play Barnabas. I can't put my finger on the exact reason why that is. His acting isn't the reason, because I think he's a good actor and I like him.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2005, 02:01:37 AM »
 I also think Depp would make a good Quentin, perhaps even moreso than Barnabas (although he'd be very good in that role too).  Depp just seems so right for the role of a charismatic cad with an interest debauchery and in the occult. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD