Author Topic: Storyline Changes / spoilers  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Storyline Changes / spoilers
« on: May 04, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
I'm not sure if this was posted before, sorry if it has been. I was watching DVD set 12 last week and noticed they changed the ending to the 1795 storyline. Natalie duPres knew Barnabas wasn't dead when Victoria was hanged the first time. She knew Angelique was the witch because Joshua told her and needed her help to try to get the curse off of Barnabas. But the second time around she apparently forgot all about that and wanted to kill him.

Another thing I noticed they changed was Dr. Hoffman's sex. During Burke and Dave's conversation about Maggie, Dave Woodard refers Dr. Hoffman as a man. It turned out great that they changed this.

Is there anything else they changed?

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Storyline Changes / spoilers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:40:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this was posted before, sorry if it has been. I was watching DVD set 12 last week and noticed they changed the ending to the 1795 storyline. Natalie duPres knew Barnabas wasn't dead when Victoria was hanged the first time. She knew Angelique was the witch because Joshua told her and needed her help to try to get the curse off of Barnabas. But the second time around she apparently forgot all about that and wanted to kill him.

That always bothered me too.  I think I mentioned it in one of the Robservations threads a while back.

Is there anything else they changed?

You betcha!  The entire backstory of Josette, Jeremiah, and Barnabas was changed.  Just a couple of weeks before the 1795 story began, Barnabas himself was telling Julia how Josette came from France to marry his much older uncle Jeremiah and that she never truly loved him (Barnabas).  From the very first episodes of the show, it was stated that the Collins family was descended from Jeremiah Collins, who built Collinwood, and Josette LaFreniere.  In addition, Barnabas's backstory was originaly supposed to take place in the mid-1800s (check the dates on the portraits and the family tombstones pre-1795.)  We know that by the time the 1795 story rolls around, all of these details have changed.

Also, just prior to the 1840 storyline [spoiler]there is a big build-up about Gerard's connection to a pirate ship called the Java Queen and danger surrounding Carrie and Tad.  However, when the characters actually do go back in time, there is no pirate ship and Tad and Carrie are non-entities in the story.[/spoiler]

In 1969, just before the trip back to 1897 [spoiler]Barnabas finds a letter that Quentin wrote to Jamison, asking him to intercede on his behalf with Oswald.  The content of the letter suggests that Jamison was much older than the young boy we actually meet in 1897.  Who Oswald is or was supposed to be is never addressed either.[/spoiler]

I'm sure there are hundreds of other inconsistencies, but those are the main ones that I can recall.

ProfStokes

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:05:07 PM »
Also, just prior to the 1840 storyline [spoiler]there is a big build-up about Gerard's connection to a pirate ship called the Java Queen and danger surrounding Carrie and Tad.  However, when the characters actually do go back in time, there is no pirate ship and Tad and Carrie are non-entities in the story.[/spoiler]

In 1969, just before the trip back to 1897 [spoiler]Barnabas finds a letter that Quentin wrote to Jamison, asking him to intercede on his behalf with Oswald.  The content of the letter suggests that Jamison was much older than the young boy we actually meet in 1897.  Who Oswald is or was supposed to be is never addressed either.[/spoiler]

I'm sure there are hundreds of other inconsistencies, but those are the main ones that I can recall.

First I would to apologize for not putting spoiler in the subject and not using the spoiler tags. I am still new to this board, I forgot to use them and how to use them.

I remember in the 1897 storyline that [spoiler]Barnabas told Quentin that Joshua built Collinwood. I thought he did too until I saw the 1795 storyline last year on DVD.[/spoiler] I didn't know they changed Josette's last name. I am only familiar with the Barnabas episodes.

I didn't care that much for the 1840 storyline, even though I liked the new actors they added. I'm glad you mentioned Jamison. [spoiler]There is an episode before the 1897 storyline begins where Barnabas tells Maggie that Jamison is Quentin's brother. I never understood why they changed that. Since they changed it anyways, they should have made him Quentin's son. I think it would have made the storyline more better.[/spoiler]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:39:48 AM »
Another thing I noticed they changed was Dr. Hoffman's sex. During Burke and Dave's conversation about Maggie, Dave Woodard refers Dr. Hoffman as a man. It turned out great that they changed this.

It was originally supposed to be Dr. Julian Hoffman.  I read one place that a typo changed it to Julia.  I don't know if that's true or if they just decided to cast Grayson in the role.  Anyway, they defiinitely refer to a male Dr. Hoffman and then SHE appears shortly after!!
Josette

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 04:20:54 PM »
  There are many of these changes throughout the series.

A couple I can think of:

[spoiler]In 1897 Barnabas reveals that he a child when Laura and Jeremiah were married, even though we saw in 1795 that Barnabas and Jeremiah were very close to the same age.[/spoiler]

Another one was:

[spoiler]I believe in 1968 Prof. Stokes says Ben left Collinwood to start his life anew.  Yet, in 1840, Ben is still there.  Perhaps Ben returned to the house at some point, and the information was left out of the history books.[/spoiler]

I'm thinking about putting together a book of DS plot specultation essays at some point, in order
to address many of these storyline issues.

- Penny Dreadful -
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:09:15 AM »
During the period right before 1840, Julia is reading from 1840 Quentin's diary about his theory on time.  She reads that it is signed Quentin Collins, Esquire
When we get to 1840 there is more than one reference to the fact that Quentin knows very little about the law and is not a lawyer.   ???

I would imagine that someone who looks as good as 1840 Quentin though, wouldn't really need to know much about anything. <------ Sexist statement 

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:32:43 AM »
Putting Esquire after one's name was a sign of nothing more than claiming the state and privileges of a gentleman.  In the UK you'll find people of a certain age still address letters in this fashion.

I do not know how or when the American practice of using Esquire to indicate practice at the Bar began.  I imagine there's an etymological note on this in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and that's available online, somewhere or other.

G.